$5000 reward offered for successful citizens arrest of Condoleeza Rice

Oct 27, 2007
Well Rice is due to arrive in New Zealand this afternoon and while she is very popular among politicians, not so much with young people.

Link

Students to lay complaint over Rice's visit to NZ
Friday, 25 July 2008

The Auckland University Students' Association (AUSA) will today lodge a formal complaint with police over the impending visit of United States Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice.

Dr Rice will be in Auckland on Saturday, meeting Prime Minister Helen Clark, Foreign Minister Winston Peters and Opposition leader John Key.

The visit, her first trip to New Zealand, follows a meeting of the Asean Regional Forum this week in Singapore.

Yesterday, AUSA offered a $5000 reward to any Auckland University student who made a successful citizen's arrest of Dr Rice during her visit.

AUSA president David Do said the arrest would be for her role in "overseeing the illegal invasion and continued occupation" of Iraq.

"While we still hope an Auckland University student might be able to make a successful citizen's arrest of Rice, we are also pursuing official channels available to us to have this war criminal arrested," Mr Do said.

"Student associations in New Zealand have a long history of being involved in fighting for global justice, dating back to student involvement in the 1981 anti-Springbok tour protests and the US war in Indochina in the 1960s and 1970s.

"By opposing Rice's visit and seeking her arrest we seek to continue that proud tradition."

AUSA international affairs officer Omar Hamed said Dr Rice's involvement in the war in Iraq was a crime under the Geneva Conventions Act 1958, and the Crimes of Torture Act 1989, and the association would ask police to arrest and prosecute her under this legislation.

To be honest I couldn't be more proud of my fellow students. I doubt anything will come of this but hopefully it will send a message back with her, although that seems unlikely. I wish I wasn't on the other end of the country :)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Will the $5000 go towards the funeral of anyone who approaches her and tries to lay hands on her?

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: jonks
Will the $5000 go towards the funeral of anyone who approaches her and tries to lay hands on her?

Haha you know what, that was my first thought too :p I'm not taking this 100% seriously but I hope she at least reads about this in the local rag.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer

Haha you know what, that was my first thought too :p I'm not taking this 100% seriously but I hope she at least reads about this in the local rag.

Maybe if an extra from LOTR kept his Uruk Hai costume and knelt before her it would send a better message :)

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007

Maybe if an extra from LOTR kept his Uruk Hai costume and knelt before her it would send a better message :)

Now that would be awesome

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
This is....kinda funny and kind of depressing at the same time. Much like midgets.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Maybe AUSA is ahead of the curve, many people, myself included, believe that Condi Rice is an international war criminal, some day that view may becomes reality, but for now, there is no international sanctioning group prepared to take Condi into custody.

So Condi can laugh now, but there are still those little and growing voices, that a jail cell in the Hague is where she may end up.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Maybe AUSA is ahead of the curve, many people, myself included, believe that Condi Rice is an international war criminal, some day that view may becomes reality, but for now, there is no international sanctioning group prepared to take Condi into custody.

So Condi can laugh now, but there are still those little and growing voices, that a jail cell in the Hague is where she may end up.

Maybe you should go live on that little island with the rest of the delusionals.

Mark my words: no one in this administration will ever, and I mean ever, stand trial in the Hague.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Sinsear

Maybe you should go live on that little island with the rest of the delusionals.

Mark my words: no one in this administration will ever, and I mean ever, stand trial in the Hague.
doesn't mean they shouldn't though.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Yesterday, AUSA offered a $5000 reward to any Auckland University student who made a successful citizen's arrest of Dr Rice during her visit.

Sounds stupid to me.

Why does the Left always seem to come up with stupid meaningless stunts as a way to express itself?

If I were in charge in NZ, anyone laid a hand on Condi would get hit with a battery charge and then I'd go after this group for encouraging it.

Edit: And if anyone got injured in attempting this stunt I'd let them sue the crap out of this group for encouraging it.

Fern

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Look, this is seriously stupid. I don't like the Bush crew but give me a break. Utterly ridiculous.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: Sinsear

doesn't mean they shouldn't though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern

Sounds stupid to me.

Why does the Left always seem to come up with stupid meaningless stunts as a way to express itself?

If I were in charge in NZ, anyone laid a hand on Condi would get hit with a battery charge and then I'd go after this group for encouraging it.

Edit: And if anyone got injured in attempting this stunt I'd let them sue the crap out of this group for encouraging it.

Fern

Probably because the left is usually attempting to change the status quo. Most of the time the establishment (wherever it might be) tries to limit the ways in which people can challenge it, because it obviously wants to stay the establishment. That, and the best way to further your cause is to attract attention to yourself. That's why you frequently see outlandish stunts pulled, necessity and opportunity.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Since it is apparently illegal, by your standards, to hold terrorists we should treat them as spies and execute them on the spot instead. We?ll lose some intelligence which may be valuable, but it is less valuable than shutting up sympathizers who fight with Islamic Supremacists in court.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
What a moronic idea. I dont like the current administration, but crap like this is just foolishness. If they really care so much, maybe they should do something real like send some type of aid to the Iraqis who have lost homes and money or something like that. Stunts like this seem to be in vogue.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Sounds stupid to me.

Fern

Well I tried to talk them out of it at the big meeting where we all came up with this idea, but the rest of "The Left" shouted me down. :roll:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Sounds stupid to me.

Fern

Well I tried to talk them out of it at the big meeting where we all came up with this idea, but the rest of "The Left" shouted me down. :roll:

Oh give me a break, I've seen you talk about "the right" plenty of times. :roll:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Yeah that left. So pesky. So annoying.

But tell me, why does the Right always come up with a murderous, treasury bankrupting war, or spend but don't tax leading to spiraling defecits, or Dick Cheney?

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: Perknose

But tell me, why does the Right always come up with a murderous, treasury bankrupting war, or spend but don't tax leading to spiraling defecits, or Dick Cheney?

Seek help. It's not healthy to have such a deranged view on the great leaders of the US of A.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Perknose

As soon as you guys agree that both sides are full of murderers, we can all get along much better :D

Why one would think that somehow Democrats or Republicans have the corner on morality is nothing but conceit... and/or ignorance.