$5000 gift card from newegg, what gaming machine components?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I wasn't going to admit it at first but I actually have two $2500 gift cards from newegg. I want to build the best gaming machine I can at that price. How do I filter pcpartspicker to include newegg only?
You haven't answer my question.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I wasn't going to admit it at first but I actually have two $2500 gift cards from newegg.
Then you should have made a new topic following the stickied guidelines found here: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-input-on-your-projects-please-tell-us.80121/ so people could have given you input knowing full well this is going to be something you are going to be using and not just asking what we would build for a dream machine. What I would want from a $5,000 computer might not be the same as what you would want from a $5,000 computer.

I suggest letting this thread die and just start a new thread so people will know what exactly you will use the PC for, where you're located (for advice on better priced - no sense in spending the full 5k if you don't have to), and anything extra that you might want to add like wanting to use the PC as a HTPC.

Reactions: IEC and UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Then you should have made a new topic following the stickied guidelines found here: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-input-on-your-projects-please-tell-us.80121/ so people could have given you input knowing full well this is going to be something you are going to be using and not just asking what we would build for a dream machine. What I would want from a $5,000 computer might not be the same as what you would want from a $5,000 computer.

I suggest letting this thread die and just start a new thread so people will know what exactly you will use the PC for, where you're located (for advice on better priced - no sense in spending the full 5k if you don't have to), and anything extra that you might want to add like wanting to use the PC as a HTPC.

100% agree with.

If you really needed help to get the best value of that amount, you should have stated so. Many of us (including myself) were just throwing out "dream" items, and not really taking the thread seriously. If you had done that, you would have had a lot of good ideas and advice already to really help you build a great PC geared for your usage.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
as a serious topic: between ram and video cards this stuff is so overpriced, if i wanted to game right now and had money burning a hole in my pocket i'd get an xbox one x, a really good tv, and a big stack of games.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
I'm always reluctant too say I have money, I don't get taken seriously. Xbox controller is difficult for my big hands, besides building a gaming machine is half the fun. Thanks for all the serious responses.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm always reluctant too say I have money, I don't get taken seriously. Xbox controller is difficult for my big hands, besides building a gaming machine is half the fun. Thanks for all the serious responses.
You can build a really nice rig for $2000 to $3000, and spend the rest of the money on really decent keyboard, monitor, and whatnot. I would get a large SSD or two for the build w/ an ext HDD for backup.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Why say "thanks for all the serious responses"? You were the one who decided to create a thread most of us took as an off-topic dream component/build thread. If you want serious responses, post serious questions.

By doing what you did in this thread, you might not be taken seriously in the future by the users who pretty much wasted time with this thread. You did not have to say "I have a $5000 gift card or budget". If you wanted to keep it a secret for whatever reason, you could have done a "Friend/family member/co-worker wants to build editing/gaming/HEDT machine, and has $$$$ budget and wants to buy everything at Newegg".

I mean you have been a member here since 2004, so I'm not sure what you are so worried about by posting a proper "build my PC" post. Heck, it seems like 5 people sign up every day to ask the same question, and people here take the time to answer their questions, and we don't know if they're "serious" or not. Many of them only make 1-3 posts on the subject, and then we never hear from them again.

Seriously, if you want help on building a PC, you need to answer the questions in the link Sgt-Flame listed above:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-input-on-your-projects-please-tell-us.80121/

And I suggest letting this thread die and creating a "real" thread. With this post, I'm checking out of this thread. Good luck.

Last edited: