$500 vet expense this weekend...cat with UTI.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
cats are a dime a dozen. plus they're only fun when they are little.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: torpid

Me too. Excessive or too little drinking is a more obvious clue to many problems. Sometimes they will hang around in the litterbox and seem to be trying to do something with no success too, from what I've read.

In this case the cat stopped drinking...it didn't want to pee. My cat normally drinks a lot.

It's important if you own pets to know what's normal. With a cat the easiest way is to daily refresh it's litter box and know what's normal to see in there.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KMFJD
A new cat would have been cheaper

legally pets aren't classified as disposibles though. I also figured KK would drop by.

Do you guys hate cats due to them making you look bad when your pants are down?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: bctbct
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
My cat had struvite crystals, hes cost me nearly $4000 in the last 2 years. He had to have

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/urethrostomy.htm

along with a special prescription cat food etc. $500 s nothing

My dog also had this a few months ago. Bladder surgery was $400. Starting to sound like my vet is cheap.

My cat had Calcium Mono. crystals. They look like long pieces of rice.

Special diet (usually Science Diet or the like) is not terribly expensive for this. I am not sure what the new formulary is since SD changed their lineup recently. I think it's going to be C/D now. It was U/D I believe in the past.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst

legally pets aren't classified as disposibles though. I also figured KK would drop by.

So you posted this topic to get a rise out of someone and create a huge argument? Sounds like a troll to me.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005

My dog also had this a few months ago. Bladder surgery was $400. Starting to sound like my vet is cheap.

My cat had Calcium Mono. crystals. They look like long pieces of rice.

Special diet (usually Science Diet or the like) is not terribly expensive for this. I am not sure what the new formulary is since SD changed their lineup recently. I think it's going to be C/D now. It was U/D I believe in the past.[/quote]

I am not sure which type they were, vet told me there was 2 types and I think my dog must have had the other type. His looked like coral. He has always eaten SD(WD) except for dog treats so I suspect thats what caused his. Chances are they will come back the vet said.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin

So you posted this topic to get a rise out of someone and create a huge argument? Sounds like a troll to me.

No I just figured it was inevitable trolls would come out, like yourself for example.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Anyways, back from the vet. Cat needs to be on C/D by Hills and I have a few meds for about two weeks.

Final bill was $650.