9) - Radio Carbon Dating

8) - Two-Ply Toilet Paper

7) - Tonka Toys

6) - The AARP

5) - The Model 302 Western Electric Rotary Telephone

4) - The Jet Engine

3) - LSD

2) - The Pentagon

And the #1 thing younger than John McCain ....

1) - Geritol

Sorry ... John McCain, 25% of the US Senate and half the SCOTUS are just too old. We need a mandatory retirement age for elected officials and an end of life tenure for Federal judges.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
It boggles my mind that there is a mandatory retirement age for so many federal jobs, but not for the ones where really important decisions are made.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
No thanks. Age can be a factor for an individual voter, but no forced age limits, including minimum ages for elected positions.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I would say yes because so many old politicians are out of touch, BUT the elderly people of our country need someone to represent their interests too. I'd be more supportive of term limits than forced retirement because of age.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
That's more of a comment on how much the world has changed in the last 72 years.
Pretty amazing that things we take for granted as being around 'forever' are relatively recent inventions.
In fact, it only seems like yesterday that 640k should be enough for anyone.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
List of current United States Senators by age

Originally posted by: CanOWorms
No thanks. Age can be a factor for an individual voter, but no forced age limits, including minimum ages for elected positions.

Minimum or maximum?

Persons of 'age' are simply out of touch. Sorry. That's the way it is.

How can someone take the initiative on current technology (much less future technology) that we need when email is beyond their grasp and a computer network is just a bunch of 'tubes' ?

The same analogy applies to the current economic crisis. How can someone effectively debate and consider appropriate regulation for financial instruments and inter-bank relationships they don't understand?

BigDH01

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Balt
I would say yes because so many old politicians are out of touch, BUT the elderly people of our country need someone to represent their interests too. I'd be more supportive of term limits than forced retirement because of age.

Elderly people already have someone looking out for their interests; the AARP. The elderly probably benefit far more by donating to AARP than they do casting a vote for an older candidate.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

They do. The AARP and they're sick powerful.

Edit: BigDH01 beat me to it!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Minimum or maximum?

How can someone take the initiative on current technology (much less future technology) that we need when email is beyond their grasp and a computer network is just a bunch of 'tubes' ?

The same analogy applies to the current economic crisis. How can someone effectively debate and consider appropriate regulation for financial instruments and inter-bank relationships they don't understand?
So what age do feel is appropriate for euthenasia for seniors, youngin'?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: boomerang

Minimum or maximum?

How about my age + 1 year (and bump it up every year until I'm gone)? :laugh:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor

Minimum or maximum?

How about my age + 1 year (and bump it up every year until I'm gone)? :laugh:
I'm really hoping at least one year younger than you!

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Minimum or maximum?

I'm most likely older than you ... LOL ... and do believe in 'death with dignity'. I'm old enough to have a 'living will' (which I do).

And you didn't answer any of my questions. If an elected official does not 'understand' they are overly influenced by special interests, their political party, staff and lobbyists - not what may be the best interest of the American people and their future.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

Minimum or maximum?

I'm most likely older than you ... LOL ... and do believe in 'death with dignity'. I'm old enough to have a 'living will' (which I do).

And you didn't answer any of my questions. If an elected official does not 'understand' they are overly influenced by special interests, their political party, staff and lobbyists - not what may be the best interest of the American people and their future.

So, by your own definition, you are old and therefore out of touch and we shouldn't listen to what you have to say.

ZV

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Minimum or maximum?

Yes, no minimum or maximum ages imposed by law.

Everyone is out of touch in something. Using your same logic, a 30-year-old will be out of touch with the needs of a 75-year-old.

Most politicians of any age are not up-to-date on current technology. Most of them have not held real jobs, much less technology-related jobs. They have advisers, hearings, etc. for this stuff.

I'd like to open the possibility for people to work real careers and then retire into politics, providing their expertise.

Same argument as above.

It seems to me that nobody can enter politics with your requirements unless they've lived a dozen lifetimes.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Minimum or maximum?

So what age do feel is appropriate for euthanasia for seniors, youngin'?

My question to you was in response to this statement: Persons of 'age' are simply out of touch. Sorry. That's the way it is.

My reference to euthanasia was facetious. I was trying to elicit a response from you regarding the maximum age to hold public office. It's seems obvious you have an opinion on the matter so please share it with us. I'm curious as to what age would be the cut off point.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor

They do. The AARP and they're sick powerful.

Edit: BigDH01 beat me to it!

True, but I would say that's the kind of representation we need less of, don't you think?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Considering that there are constitutional MINIMUM ages for Congress and President, don't you think that an age maximum would be limiting the field quite a bit?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
age and faculties seem to vary a lot from person to person.

my great aunt is in her late 70's and still sharp as a knife (maternal side), but my dad's mother really started to lose it in her mid/late 60's.

I can't see how you'd be able to define a hard rule for maximum age (though you'd be hard pressed to get me to vote for someone 80+, I'm voting against Lautenberg for NJ senate for that very reason -- he'll be in his 90's by the end of his term if elected and I'm not sure I trust Corzine to appoint another senator... NJ's had enough unelected elected officials for a lifetime already)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
It boggles my mind that there is a mandatory retirement age for so many federal jobs, but not for the ones where really important decisions are made.

I think you'd have a Constitutional problem trying to enforce mandatory retirement upon elected officials.

What is somebody is 63 years old when elected President and Congress sets a mandatory retirment age of 65 yrs old. Congress would be throwing out a duly elected office holder.

Won't happen. Voters know how old somebody is before they vote.

But we should probably consider some mechanism for physicians to certify politician are capable of holding their office - still of sound mind & body. It's not just alzhiemers that can affect judgement, memory. personality and/or competence. I don't think impeachment is designed for that (high crimes and midemeanors).

Fern