Rant 50+ Children Dead from Measles due to Carelessness & Anti-Vaxx

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
https://arstechnica.com/science/201...tify-themselves-with-red-flags-officials-say/

In Samoa 60 people including 52 children ages 0-4 have died from a measles outbreak that’s infected 4000+.

Vaccination rates had fallen to 30% last year after 2 children died from measle vaccines tainted with muscle relaxant. Two nurses accidentally mixed the vaccine with expired muscle relaxant/anesthetic instead of water and then tried to cover it up. They were sentenced to 5 years in prison.

In the meantime anti-vaxx groups including Robert Kennedy descended on the island to drum up fear.

Now 60 more people are dead.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
There is no way this is my timeline. We were advancing in every area of science. Jonas Salk was considered a great man, and his legacy was bright. We were conquering more diseases. The geometric shape of the earth was not in question. We put men on the moon. This timeline sucks.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I hate anti-vaxxer science deniers with a passion. When I was a newspaper journalist I would run into them begging me to help spread their bullshit about how vaccines kill children. When I retired from the newspapers I went to work for my local school district running libraries at a elementary and middle school. Being in Southern California we had a good number of immigrant children who were not vaccinated, and even back then, 2001-2005, we were seeing whooping cough coming back.

I've got "friends" who didn't vaccinate their two kids on "religious grounds" because they were too damn lazy and "not sure about possible side effects." Fucking morons.

I swear, I'm going to start carrying a gross of condoms with me everywhere I go. When I run into these kinds of people I'll give then a big handful and beg them not to reproduce.

Carrying a gross of condoms on me at all times will probably help with my ATOT Baller status, too. :cool:

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Anti-vax Karen on facebook must have quite a following in Samoa.
Well apparently they just threw their numero uno honcho anti-vaxxer in jail. o_O

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...d-as-measles-death-toll-rises-to-63-in-samoa/

Samoa’s most prominent locally based anti-vaccine advocate will stay behind bars as officials go door to door vaccinating residents against a massive measles outbreak that has already killed 63—nearly all of whom are children under 4 years old.

Officials arrested Edwin Tamasese Thursday, December 5, charging him with "incitement against the Government vaccination order," according to the Samoa Observer. He faces two years in jail.

The arrest came after he allegedly posted a message on social media about the current vaccination campaign that read, "I will be here to mop up your mess. Enjoy your killing spree."

Officials denied Tamasese bail. That means he will spend the remainder of the government’s vaccination campaign in jail, awaiting the next available court date. Police said they had given him written warnings to cease his anti-vaccination rhetoric prior to the arrest. The attorney general's office cited the likelihood that he would reoffend as a reason to deny bail.