50 Cent gets $400 Million from VitaminWater deal after Coke buys the company

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
wth is vitamin water? Maybe its because I never go to 7-11....

Some genius's smart idea to mix vitamins (only 50%) with water and then have Coke buy it for $400 million so Coke can get into the "healthy" market... I see Vit water all around.. idiots drinking cool aid and nothing but sugar. oh well, i guess you do need idiots to buy your product to be successful. :)

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: multiband8303
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Lots of jealous people here.

:thumbsup: to fitty.

He's a smarter businessman than 99% of you jokers.

No he's an idiot, his business partner Wyatt Earlenson (Whom is a harvard MBA grad) is the one who pointed him in that investment.

I could imagine the conversation

"Hey 50, I've done x amount of research and I think you should invest 4 million dollars in this, yada yada"

"O.K, should be in my sock drawer, just grab the cash"

now everyone believes he is a smart business man. The only smart choice was whomever referred him to Wyatt.

he was smart enough to surround himself with various subject matter experts. Most successful people do this.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: zanejohnson
Originally posted by: KLin
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: Anubis
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: NFS4
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: FallenHero
So now he is a POS that is 400 mil richer. Great.</blockquote>

Why is he a POS?:confused:</blockquote>

His music sucks
He can?t speak English
His name isn?t a really name and you can?t have "50 Cent" its "50 cents" it?s a damn plural
</blockquote>

then why do they call a half dollar a 50 cent piece?

50 cent is slang for a half a gram of either cocaine or methamphetamine.....

because it would register .50 on digital scales.

I've never heard that slang...

But, the reason 50 cent calls himself 50 cent is after the gangster, Kelvin Martin, that used to roam the streets of NY (who was a lot smaller than the rap artist 50 cent) and rob anyone and everyone. Friends estimate that, throughout his life, Martin had sustained at least 24 bullet wounds. Ultimately, gunshot wounds were his cause of death. He was shot on October 20, 1987 on the stairway of one of his hideouts, dying four days later in hospital. No witnesses came forward regarding the incident.

Kelvin Martin was known as '50 Cent' for the basic fact that he would mugg someone even if they only had 50 Cents, hence the nick name.

Kelvin "50 Cent" Martin. The story of the the infamous NYC stick up kid the rapper 50 Cent got his name from:

its also a symbol of the change he brought to the rap game. He was awfully prophetic in that statement because he has taken the game over.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: OMoT
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: FallenHero
So now he is a POS that is 400 mil richer. Great.</blockquote>

Jealous?

because clearly anyone who doesn't like a rich dude is just jealous.

yea pretty much. everyone's a hater when your on top.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: fallenangel99

Some genius's smart idea to mix vitamins (only 50%) with water and then have Coke buy it for $400 million so Coke can get into the "healthy" market... I see Vit water all around.. idiots drinking cool aid and nothing but sugar. oh well, i guess you do need idiots to buy your product to be successful. :)

I'm not gonna comment other than you owned yourself on this one.

summary: anyone who enjoys any product is an idiot.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

No he's an idiot, his business partner Wyatt Earlenson (Whom is a harvard MBA grad) is the one who pointed him in that investment.

"Hey 50, I've done x amount of research and I think you should invest 4 million dollars in this, yada yada"

now everyone believes he is a smart business man. The only smart choice was whomever referred him to Wyatt.

he was smart enough to surround himself with various subject matter experts. Most successful people do this.

Bart: Way to go, Ralph!
Lisa: Ralph? But the rocket was my idea!
Bart: But asking you was Ralph's idea!
Homer: You're the man, Ralph!

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000

Annnd...Coke bought it for 4.2 BILLION, not a measley 400 million :p

And I wonder if fallenangel has a ipod...that'd just be crazy ;)

multiband8303

Aug 8, 2005

So you say he's a successfull businessman, but you warrant that he surrounds himself experts of certain subjects, making them the expert of there respected field. Therefore you cannot state that he himself, is the expert of "business", therefore he is not a "smart" businessman.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000

So you say he's a successfull businessman, but you warrant that he surrounds himself experts of certain subjects, making them the expert of there respected field. Therefore you cannot state that he himself, is the expert of "business", therefore he is not a "smart" businessman.

No one forced him to make any decisions. Like someone stated earlier there is probably hundreds upon thousands of "ideas" that are brought forth to him -- i.e. "50 Cent Cologne!! 50 Cent Cartoon!!" - it's up to him to decide which he thinks will succeed and which he thinks will fail. So far, I think he's chosen correctly, therefore maybe he IS a smart businessman. Either way, just respect the man's talents and abilities. Not everyone can do what he's doing or we'd all be multi-millionaires, it's as simple as that.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001

haha no no no i didnt meant to say that anyone who enjoys a product is stupid. i was trying to say that anyone who buys something that is so silly is an idiot. :) esp. considering the product is not that useful anyway (and its quite expensive if you drink it regularly)

Here is one of the controversies regarding VM (from wiki):

While marketed as an enhanced, health-promoting water, nutrition experts question whether vitaminwater beverages are indeed healthful.[2][3] Depending on the variety, each 20 fl. oz. bottle contains 100 to 125 calories and from 20 to 32.5 grams of sugar, nearly the equivalent of a 12 fl oz. can of Coca-Cola.[4] Instead of "1 serving" on the nutrition label, Vitamin Water's 20 oz bottles, like those of many soft-drink makers, say "2.5 servings," which enables the label to state the sugar content as 13 grams per serving instead of the 32.5 grams in the whole bottle.

for example, my old roomate (girl) bought a cleaning detergent from Victoria Secret (like Tide basically) for 200% more than Tide. I was like why??? does it smell better? does it remove extra dirt? I mean, what if Victoria Secret came out with its own tampons/tampax? I wonder how many girls would buy it.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
No one forced him to make any decisions. Like someone stated earlier there is probably hundreds upon thousands of "ideas" that are brought forth to him -- i.e. "50 Cent Cologne!! 50 Cent Cartoon!!" - it's up to him to decide which he thinks will succeed and which he thinks will fail. So far, I think he's chosen correctly, therefore maybe he IS a smart businessman. Either way, just respect the man's talents and abilities. Not everyone can do what he's doing or we'd all be multi-millionaires, it's as simple as that.

Just because they get you paid doesn't mean that your 'abilities and talents' necessarily earn you respect. Its as simple as that.

Also, it takes money to make money.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Kev
My only problem was with "smarter businessman than 99% of you jokers" - woopdeedoo, his agent and/or lawyer set him up a good deal. He's a genius. Give him the reigns of a fortune 500 company, already. :roll:
Awwwww, poor Kev...being a wanksta and neffing on this forum has really taken a toll on him.

I'm also surprised so many of you know the intimate details of 50 Cent's financial transactions. You guys talk to his butler or something?

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
hahah if anyone thinks 50 is not a smart business man is delusional! Clear, cut and dry, if you have $400 mill in the bank and growing due to some sort of bartering, you're by default a smart businessman. The guy knows how to sell his image, his music, and at one point drugs. 50 signing/hiring smart businessman to surround himself with was a smart move. Should he have hired some idiots? Sure, one could argue that if he, himself was a successful businessman, wouldn't need help from outsiders, but when you're growing like 50 is, you're going to need some assistants. Men lie, women lie, but numbers don't.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005

A man high on COKE walks up to '50 cent' and says: Brotha how much for the water?

50 cent: : Three fitty...

So he pays and leaves....

Now 50 cent and three fitty added up to 400 cents...

That How they came up with the 400 million number

Sorry, I am bored :D

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
stuff like this makes me sick...life is tough and these huys have a free ride in life...and no RAP isnt talent

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
PSA - Our local Albertsons has Vitamin Water 10 for $10 :)

yep, but like I said, Cost Co (and probably most of the bulk stores) sells a 12-pack for around $10 as well. It's not a big difference, but it's usually the only place I can get a bottle for less than a dollar overall.

Speaking of which, I need to restock...

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: James3shin
if you can hustle bricks of cocaine, pallets of Vitamin water is cake. Hov is still better</blockquote>

"I sold kilo's of coke..i'm guessing I can sell CDs..."

Haha..the list of top 3 rappers came out and Fifty just passed Diddy thanks to this vitaminwater thing. It's now HOV at #1, Fifty at #2 and Diddy in the #3 spot. Hov's net worth close to half a billion while fifty's at 440$ mil.

Wrong.

http://www.kansas.com/485/story/150094.html

Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson ranks second with an estimated $32 million.

That's ONE YEAR earnings. It's based solely on 2006 income.

If he just earned $400 million and 32 million in 2006 alone, I'd be willing to bet he's worth well in excess of $440 million.

Further information:

Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson ranks second with an estimated $32 million. The 31-year-old rapper-businessman oversees his G-Unit record label, clothing line, ring tones and other enterprises, and has sold more than 11 million albums. His latest record, "Curtis," is due out Sept. 11.

To everyone who says he's not a business man.... you're sitting on AT and he's rolling in it. He's branched out and sold his name and is now probably worth half a billion dollars. Any way you cut it, he's smart enough to have people around him to help sell his image and name. Obviously much smarter than you.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: mrrman
stuff like this makes me sick...life is tough and these guys have a free ride in life...and no RAP isn't talent

Ah yes, because most rappers like 50 cent, Jay Z, Notorious B.I.G., Tupac, etc. were born into upper class families and did nothing to achieve their fame and fortune.

Give me a break. :roll:

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: RedArmy
stuff like this makes me sick...life is tough and these guys have a free ride in life...and no RAP isn't talent

Ah yes, because most rappers like 50 cent, Jay Z, Notorious B.I.G., Tupac, etc. were born into upper class families and did nothing to achieve their fame and fortune.

I think the reason some entertainers (musicians, actors, pro athletes) make it so big is because people in general are bored of their meaningless, dull lives and turn to movies, sports, and music as an escape from their otherwise dull day-to-day routine. They like seeing how interesting people live their lives.

I'm not saying they didn't earn their money or don't deserve it, but I just think it's kind of sad that a non-essential function of society (entertainment) is held with such high regard. People will always vote with their wallets I guess, and this is what we've chosen.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Special K
Originally posted by: RedArmy

I think the reason some entertainers (musicians, actors, pro athletes) make it so big is because people in general are bored of their meaningless, dull lives and turn to movies, sports, and music as an escape from their otherwise dull day-to-day routine. They like seeing how interesting people live their lives.

I'm not saying they didn't earn their money or don't deserve it, but I just think it's kind of sad that a non-essential function of society (entertainment) is held with such high regard. People will always vote with their wallets I guess, and this is what we've chosen.

A non-essential function of society? How boring would our lives be without music, movies, shows, clubs?? I'd say that entertainment is an ESSENTIAL part of society. And, I don't think you can say that you've never enjoyed a movie, a song, or a show? I'm sure you have and it's not the actors/musicians fault that MANY other people enjoy it as well and that is the only reason they are getting paid the amount of money they are.