$50 and you are buying a pc game.. what do you get?

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
You walk into a major retailer and have $50 to spend on a pc game (or multiples if they are less than $50)..what do you buy

I have a moderate gaming system with 7600gt, 2gb ddr2, and dual core AMD

usually run games at medium resolution (my lcd supports up to 1680x1050)

Lets assume you already own HL2 and your not really into MMORPG

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I think I am sold on this Bioshock game.. downloading the demo now..will play later tonight.

trying to stay away from the MMORPG scene..

I guess what are some newer games worth playing besides Bioshock.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
As far as shooters, it is mostly a waiting game. Crysis, Far Cry 2 (may be good), are both in the works.

Are there any older games you have not played yet? Call of Duty series, Far Cry, Fear? GTA series? Mafia?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This whole scenario doesnt work for me.
I dont buy anything from a major retailer these days. I look at the items and then find them for a fraction of the price online. That includes video games.

It also seems that any game which costs 50 bucks nowadays will not entertain me. I seem to prefer less famous titles between 20 and 30 dollars.

I want to do the Bioshock demo and see if I like it. Assuming I do I'll dig around until I can get it for about 40 bucks.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: msi1337
You walk into a major retailer and have $50 to spend on a pc game (or multiples if they are less than $50)..what do you buy

I have a moderate gaming system with 7600gt, 2gb ddr2, and dual core AMD

usually run games at medium resolution (my lcd supports up to 1680x1050)

Lets assume you already own HL2 and your not really into MMORPG

Your system is better than mine, and I can play Bioshock on high at 1680x1050 so you don't even have to worry much. I'd get Bioshock or the Medieval 2 expansion.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I usually wait and buy them for $20 instead, and usually online from GoGamer or Amazon. This year I've picked up Neverwinter 2 at $30, KOTOR 2 at $17, and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for $20.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
I want to do the Bioshock demo and see if I like it. Assuming I do I'll dig around until I can get it for about 40 bucks.

It is $39.99 at Circuit City this week

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I agree about the used games, buy em when they're cheap and get two games instead of one. You need to ist what you've played and what you like/don't like.

Oct 30, 2004

I'd say to wait for mid-November and buy Unreal Tournament III It's the third installment of the greatest online multiplayer first person shooter game of all time. If the past history of the series is any indicator, it's a game that you'll be able to play competitively and online for years. I just edited the Wikipedia description to provide better detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_3

Unreal Tournament III will be primarily an online multiplayer first person shooter game offering a variety of game modes, including large-scale Warfare (a revamped version of UT 2004's very successful Onslaught game), Capture-the-Flag, and Deathmatch. Thousands of public servers were (and still are) available for UT99 and UT 2004 and people could easily access them for free (using their Internet connections) and play and compete against other people of widely varying skill levels over the Internet. UT3 is also rumored to include an extensive and worthwhile offline single-player game with a compelling story.

People who are new to the series may be unaware of some of its most crucial and important aspects. Enthusiasts can design (on a computer) their own custom user-made maps and game modes and make them available via free Internet downloads for online multiplayer or single player play, adding tremendous variety and dramatically increasing the game's longevity and replay value. Thousands of custom maps and game-type modifications (mods), many of which are excellent and first-rate, are available for UT99 and UT 2004. Consequently, if Unreal Tournament III is true to form, then enthusiasts will probably create hundreds if not thousands of custom maps and several worthwhile additional game types. Additionally, UT99 and UT 2004 enjoyed having strong and active online communities, including organized competitive leagues with hundreds of organized teams often composed of players who started out as newbies and who met on public servers.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I recently bought $50 worth of games off of Amazon. The Fallout Collection (Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics), Baldur's Gate 2 Collection (Baldur's Gate 2 and expansion), Descent 3, FreeSpace 1, Gothic 2, Manhunt, and Thief 1. These will be added to my collection.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
This whole scenario doesnt work for me.
I dont buy anything from a major retailer these days. I look at the items and then find them for a fraction of the price online. That includes video games.

It also seems that any game which costs 50 bucks nowadays will not entertain me. I seem to prefer less famous titles between 20 and 30 dollars.

Circuit City has Bioshock for $39.99. I did a price match at Best Buy.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Buy Midevil 2 and play that trough, a wonderful game, the expansion just came out so wait for that to drop in a month or so after you have played the snot out of the first one. Check out the Sicilian Vespers MOD,its free and has some really cool aspects to it.

I just got a cheap Vampires the Masquerade and it seems cool. I just-on the cheap as well-got the Movies and the expansion stunts and effects. I would love to play it but my wife wont let me lol, shes really enjoying it and wont let me have the discs hehe.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: AdamK47
I recently bought $50 worth of games off of Amazon. The Fallout Collection (Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics), Baldur's Gate 2 Collection (Baldur's Gate 2 and expansion), Descent 3, FreeSpace 1, Gothic 2, Manhunt, and Thief 1. These will be added to my collection.

Wow nice - do you have all of those images on your HD?

doggyfromplanetwoof

Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Originally posted by: AdamK47

Wow nice - do you have all of those images on your HD?

Over 1TB in CD images? I think not.