50,000 abandoned dogs roaming streets of Detroit in packs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
What's the difference between a wild feral dog and a coyote? People hunt them all the time, they have predator calls for them, you can skin them and/or have a taxidermist mount them. It's only left wing liberal city clowns that have a problem with shooting problem animals.

The difference is that mentioning dogs gets you an infraction on AT. I won't test what happens if I mention coyotes. Maybe discussing hunting gets you banned around here.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I guess you're referring to the animal cops.

No, i was referring to PETA members, vegans and other animal right activists that try to force people to subscribe to their political and cultural opinions about animals. Many cultures eat dogs and cats on a routine basis, including native Americans and to see some cultural bigots try to force their views about it on other people is a smack in the face to cultural diversity.

Apr 27, 2012

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
http://www.examiner.com/article/wil...s-kill-and-leave-a-horrific-scene-park-report

Wild dogs viciously killed 4 people in Mexico City and the bodies have been discovered within the past two weeks, according to authorities. The killings took place in a park located on the outskirts of Mexico City. On Jan. 7, FOX reported that while one young victim was being attacked by the wild dogs, she called her sister to desperately plea for help.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2008Dec25/0,4675,WildDogs,00.html

new policy that allows authorities in a rural North Texas town to shoot wild, roaming dogs has riled animal welfare advocates.

The policy, which permits authorities in Ferris to use shotguns to kill aggressive dogs running loose, was implemented last week to curb the town's growing population of feral dogs.

About 50 to 100 feral dogs roam the streets here, said Misty Clark, the lone animal control officer in this rural town of about 2,300 residents.

City Manager David Chavez said Ferris, which is about 20 miles south of Dallas, had become an unwanted pet dumping ground where the released animals breed, form packs and scavenge for food.

Police Chief Frank Mooney said the town had tried other methods with little success.

"It's not a task anybody relishes down here," he said. "You have to take care of the situation now or wait until someone's dead."

http://www.examiner.com/article/extraordinary-measures-to-be-used-for-stray-dogs

Fayetteville, NC - "Extraordinary measures" plan to be utilized to catch and kill stray dogs in and around Fayetteville this month.

According to the Fayetteville Observer, animal control has hired a private company to "catch and kill" dozens of stray dogs in the Cumberland County area.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Not much the people who run animal shelters can do. Too many dogs, not enough shelters.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Not much the people who run animal shelters can do. Too many dogs, not enough shelters.

"Critics question spending by Humane Society of the United States"

"What did I do wrong?" "Why did they hurt me?" "Why did they abandon me?" These are the questions that flash on your television screen over pictures of injured and abandoned cats and dogs.

Anybody with an ounce of compassion wants to help these poor animals. Then comes the pitch: "For just $19 a month, you can join the Humane Society of the United States in our fight to eliminate animal abuse everywhere."

But where does that $19 a month go? Does it go to protecting the cats and dogs pictured in the television ads? Nope. According their most recent tax return, less than 1 percent of the Humane Society of the United States' annual budget actually goes to local pet shelters.

But most Americans do not know this. According to a recent Opinion Research Corp. poll, 71 percent of Americans believe that the HSUS is an umbrella organization for local Humane Society pet shelters nationwide. It's not. And the HSUS profits greatly from this confusion. In 2010, the organization posted $148.7 million in revenue, revenue its leaders aren't willing to give up without a fight. Just ask Didi Culp, the human educator for Frederick County, Md., Animal Control.

Culp was director of education at HSUS for three years before leaving the organization because she wanted to offer more services to local shelters without charging them anything.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/criti...e-society-of-the-united-states/article/156987

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013
Detroit going to the dogs… literally. There are an estimated 50,000 homeless dogs roaming the city in packs, attacking people, interrupting mail service, and no doubt turning all the squirrels into nervous wrecks.​

DetroitDogs.jpg

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013
Third World stray animal problem in Detroit (Video)

... after the city filed for chapter 9 bankruptcy this July, the amount of abandoned animals is speculated to have risen to staggering proportions. If the speculation is true, it puts the number of stray animals (dogs and cats) from 50,000 a-year-ago, and could now be close to 70,000 animals roaming the streets, left in abandoned houses and lots, to fend for themselves.

“It was almost post-apocalyptic, where there are no businesses, nothing except people in houses and dogs running around.” Amanda Arrington of the Humane Society of the United States, based in Washington, stated, as she toured the streets of Detroit in October of last year.

b60fa7ecb3aa1d3a3f29d8b4ab79ba8d.jpg

45cefc9779893927aed9c8fd584429b7.jpg

View Gallery: http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/i...y-dogs-running-the-streets-of-detroit#slide=1

08fc6fe3b67aacd132aac85d47daa2c0.jpg

c097c052c16c5832b4218b2cb4d061d5.jpg

Read more: http://www.examiner.com/article/third-world-stray-animal-problem-detroit

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I know. That post about Obama eating dogs in his youth and Michelle having recipes in her rap video was hilarious.

Nah dawg, at you. What with you living in NorCal with all those smarties, you should be used to that by now.

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013
Packs of starving stray dogs swarm Detroit as people flee the bankrupt city leaving their pets behind

• As many as 50,000 strays are estimated to be roaming the city streets and taking shelter inside the countless buildings
  • The number of strays is rising as Detroit's human population dwindles to 700,00 from nearly one million in 2000
  • Some of the strays are terrorizing neighborhoods, killing pets and biting mail carriers
  • The city has only four animal control officers - which is down from 15 in 2008
By Hayley Peterson
PUBLISHED 05:17 GMT, 22 August 2013| UPDATED 05:17 GMT, 22 August 2013

article-2399675-1B674FF5000005DC-413_634x489.jpg

article-2399675-1B675005000005DC-168_634x564.jpg

article-2399675-1B675001000005DC-671_634x452.jpg

article-2399675-1B674FF9000005DC-495_634x447.jpg

Read more:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ple-flee-bankrupt-city-leave-pets-behind.html
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Caravaggio

Aug 3, 2013
Detroit has More Stray Dogs than People with College Degrees

Just evolution really. There was no programme of positive-discrimination, admission was on merit, just happens that the dogs had a higher GPA.

Canis ad Astra.

Go feral! Here Rex, teach me some of that calculus stuff....

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They should watch Under the Dome and figure out how to do the same thing in Detroit. Either that or a large number of bulldozers.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
We saw things like this in Iraq, roving packs of very large dogs that were very dangerous. I'm not sure how Detroit is going to ultimately take care of this problem since housing, feeding and capturing these feral dogs takes a lot of money. Cities that aren't bankrupt have issues dealing with the large number of pets people discard.

People in America, as noted earlier in this thread, don't have the stomach to deal with the Detroit problem the same way we deal with this problem rurally and in places like Iraq. So I figure this problem will continue for quite some time.

I feel for anyone that gets caught by a pack of hungry pitpulls that have gone feral, they are much much worse than any coyotes. We have to deal with them on the ranch, people like to just discard their pitbulls and they run in packs that are capable and have killed cattle. People are somewhat easier to take down than a cow.