5 year old kills his 2 yr old sister with GUN!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
We don't give kids alcohol, or cigarettes, that endanger their health and lives, we don't allow children to do drugs, but we let them as young as 5 years of age play with firearms like they were toys..to me this is so insanely disgusting.

130502-kids-guns-main-930p.photoblog600.jpg

Quoted from a news article: The Crickett is one of two lines of .22-caliber rifles for kids manufactured by the Pennsylvania-based Keystone Sporting Arms. The company acquired the maker of the similar Chipmunk rifle in 2007, a purchase that positioned the company as “the leading rifle supplier in the youth market,” according to the company’s website.

Let me just add.. I grew up with a father who hunted, who took us hunting.. I was about 11 at the time. But a fucking 5 year old? There should be an age limit and serious age restriction on giving children guns and using them.

With proper supervision there's no danger. If you're teaching your 5 year old to shoot, then you should literally have your eyes on them as long as that gun is loaded and in their hands.

Anything else should be considered reckless endangerment IMO.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
That may be true. There are a lot of things fitting that description but we draw the line with 5 year olds. That's one of the reasons tee-ball exists.

You can't really compare the two, and what about 6 year olds? Is it fine if they shoot? What's with the arbitrary age cut-off? You're never too young to learn about firearms safety, and become familiar with them especially if they live in a home with firearms. I'd hazard to guess that it would even help prevent needless deaths as they would know what a gun can do, they would know to make sure it isn't loaded, etc ...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You can't really compare the two, and what about 6 year olds? Is it fine if they shoot? What's with the arbitrary age cut-off? You're never too young to learn about firearms safety, and become familiar with them especially if they live in a home with firearms. I'd hazard to guess that it would even help prevent needless deaths as they would know what a gun can do, they would know to make sure it isn't loaded, etc ...

The arbitrary thing does't really fly. We place arbitrary age limits on lots of things. A 20 yr old can make the same valid argument on having a beer.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
The arbitrary thing does't really fly. We place arbitrary age limits on lots of things. A 20 yr old can make the same valid argument on having a beer.

Yea, they can, and I think the drinking age being 21 is pretty stupid too.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The Los Altos Rod & Gun Club range here in Kalifornia has no arbitrary restriction on how young a shooter can be. Range officers will look at each situation and gauge the maturity of the child and the knowledge and attentiveness of the supervising parent and make a determination case by case. Basically, if the child is handling the firearm in the proper fashion, they're fine to shoot. I have no problem whatsoever with this, and do not support a blanket arbitrary ban on children and firearms.

Remember that children cannot purchase firearms. This case referenced in this thread is pure and simple negligence on the part of the parents involved.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Quote from the parent:

"It was God's will. It was her time to go, I guess," she told WLEX. "I just know she's in heaven right now and I know she's in good hands with the Lord."

guns and bibles....clinging to them.

:hmm:

really, people were offended by that comment at one point? It's obviously true...
:whiste: