5-D Data Storage

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
“We can guarantee that we have the ability to store the culture, language and essence of the human race in a simple piece of glass for future civilizations — or what ever else is Out There.”

- Aabid Patel, Ph.D., Optical Physicist, U. K.'s Univ. of Southampton

February 19, 2016 San Francisco, California - A surprising headline appeared in technology news February 16th proclaiming “Five-dimensional” glass discs can store data for up to 13.8 billion years.” That’s the age of this universe! The news came this week from the 2016 Int'l. Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) conference in San Francisco where scientists from the U. K.’s University of Southampton reported: “We can guarantee that we have the ability to store the culture, language and essence of the human race in a simple piece of glass for future civilizations — or what ever else is out there.”

Their new proposed archival method is called “5-dimensional data storage.” The recorded discs are only 1-inch in diameter and information is micron-sized dots stored in nanogratings.

Our DNA molecule is 2.5 nanometers in diameter, so we’re down in the microscopic dimension where even a human hair is about 100,000 nanometers wide!

“Nanogratings” means storing data in the nano interior of the glass discs rather than bumps on the surface like a regular CD. Data is read from a normal CD by shining a laser at a tiny line with bumps on it. Whenever the laser hits a bump, light is reflected back and recorded as a 1. Where there is no bump, that’s recorded as a 0. That’s why standard CDs are considered to be only two “dimensions” of information. Those bumps can be scratched off or damaged in air, heat and humidity.

But this new 5-D approach involves how light is reflected in five different variables such as the orientation of the nanograting; the strength of the photon stream refracted; and the position of the light stream in x, y and z axes. Three extra dimensions of information about the reflected light means much denser storage capacity than current day optical discs. For example, if you compare disc sizes and how much each disc could hold, a 5D disc the size of a 128-gigabyte Blu-ray can store 360 terabytes of information. So the 5D glass disc could store 3,000 times more than the Blu-ray disc!

Glass is also safe up to temperatures of 1,000 degrees Celsius, which is 1,832 degrees Fahrenheit. The scientists say the only thing holding back commercialization for the general public is the high price of the expensive lasers needed to produce the nanoscale data in the 1-inch glass discs.

The U. K. scientists told reporters, “We can encode anything. We’re not limited — just give us the file and we can print it onto a glass disc.”

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Cool, let me know when I can buy the drive and discs at BestBuy. Until then, I'm not holding my breath...

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Its not really 5 dimensions. It is more equivalent to 5 parallel lasers reading at once.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Its not really 5 dimensions. It is more equivalent to 5 parallel lasers reading at once.

This, and if memory serves me the discs are made out of formica, zinc, or cubic zirconia. All of which is pretty cheap.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

No, I'm really reading that as very much one way of saying 5 dimensions. It's not necessarily comparable to referencing multi-dimensionality in the universe, but it's still technically correct to describe it as five-dimensional.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-disc-rugged-enough-to-outlive-the-human-race

They have the traditional two-dimensionality of an optical disc, depth, refraction, and polarization.

Whether it pans out or not, who knows, but I just felt like commenting that it isn't a misnomer.

This, and if memory serves me the discs are made out of formica, zinc, or cubic zirconia. All of which is pretty cheap.

They are using silica glass.