5. BIONC Pentathlon 2014

pons66

Apr 17, 2014

For the fifth time, SETI.Germany invites all BOINC teams to the BOINC Pentathlon, a competition inspired by the Pentathlon in ancient Greece. Between May 5 and May 19, five disciplines at five different BOINC projects are held to find the overall winner.

Each team that wants to participate has to sign up using the registration form at http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/anmeldung.php. Registration is open until April 27.

For all but the Marathon discipline, the teams may suggest their favorite project when signing up. A list of possible projects is available at http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/25_en_Disciplines.html, you may suggest other projects as long as you think they are able to handle the increased load. Note that projects that were part of last year's Pentathlon are excluded for this year.

For more information including the full rules, please visit the BOINC Pentathlon page at http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/22_en_Welcome.html.

Please spread the word and gauge the interest within your team. Looking forward to seeing you at the Pentathlon! :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hmm, we used to clamour to a race ;).

What project is being crunched for the Marathon? (I just looked at the SETI Germany site you linked at it gives no clue :confused: ).

Anyone interested?

I'd vote for MW for the 2nd race (sprint).
Rosetta for the 3rd, that's a project I've not done before but have always wanted to since SETI classic ended & Smoke invited me to join :) (so many projects so few PCs!).
Although Constellation & Cosmology also looks interesting.......

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I am still in deep thought ... I think we should join the Penthatlon ... and then decide the level of participation. It is a tradition ... ;)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I wondered what the burning smell was, I think you've overclocked your brain too much! ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
OK, it's only two weeks. Meet you at the milk bowl :) Meeeow, hisssss!

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Hmm, we used to clamour to a race ;).

What project is being crunched for the Marathon? (I just looked at the SETI Germany site you linked at it gives no clue :confused: ).
No-one knows the project being crunched in a discipline until just a few days before the discipline starts. Also, except for the Marathon-discipline, no-one knows the order the various disciplines will come in.

Some of the disciplines are also overlapping, so where's different choises to make here, example to go all-in for one of the Projects and doesn't care about the overlapping-one, gamble "everyone" has stopped running one Project and saving-up for a surprise dump at the end, or ... It's also possible to gamble a particular Project will be choosen and cache-up beforehand, but since both Projects and orders are unknown it's possible gambles on the wrong one or it starts so late the results Will hit their deadline before race-start.

The particular choosen project having server-problems is also a part in any race, in last years Pentathlon atleast 3 of the Projects had server-problems, atleast SIMAP, WCG and Asteroids had problems. I don't remember if Yoyo or Einstein@home also had problems...

As for this years possible Projects...
Hmm, Milkyway or SETI@home in GPU, Rosetta@home in Natural Sciences. In mathematics I've got no preference and not sure for the "Showbag"...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
So the safe thing to do then is only switch to the project when they announce what it is, otherwise it's a blind gamble which I think is a bit pointless.

Not sure what you are referring to regarding 'overlapping' projects.

We didn't participate last year.

http://www.seti-germany.de/wiki/BOINC-Pentathlon_2013

or in 2012

http://www.seti-germany.de/wiki/BOINC-Pentathlon_2012

We would need a coordinated effort to compete.

The members of the TeAm are very independent (this is a compliment) so it's sort of like herding cats! :D

It helps if you put out a bowl of stats :)
Lol! :D

I'm in btw.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I probably won't be done with my Yafu and Yoyo goals by the time this event starts, but I could probably be convinced to participate.. :)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
I probably won't be done with my Yafu and Yoyo goals by the time this event starts, but I could probably be convinced to participate..
You know you want to join the fun :)

You don't have to join with everything, even one computer gives you stats to look at

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
For once, no PrimeGrid race conflicts with this race. So I'll probably try to do at least something.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Not sure what you are referring to regarding 'overlapping' projects.
Well, where's 3 different cpu-projects each running for 5 days, but the Pentathlon only lasts for 14 days... Meaning, atleast two of the cpu-projects must run on the same day, wherefore they're overlapping. Add to the mix the GPU-project, even this year it's only 3 days this will run alongside atleast one of the cpu-projects and "steal" a little of the cpu-resources from this project.

Lastly the Marathon will run the full 14 days, meaning for most of the Pentathlon where'll be 2 or 3 projects running at the same time.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Therefore overlapping projects, got ya :), yea hadn't realised the timings of each.

So any preferred projects guys?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Do we get to pick "preferred projects" or will the event planners just tell us which projects are involved when it starts?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Going by For all but the Marathon discipline, the teams may suggest their favorite project when signing up, from the op.

Looks like our choice will have an influence on which projects are crunched rather than outright selecting.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
OK. I missed that part even though I read the post twice..

I don't have any particular "favorite" project. Anything that catches my interest, or gets me stats milestones, or catches my interest by getting me stats milestones, is fine with me. :)

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Going by For all but the Marathon discipline, the teams may suggest their favorite project when signing up, from the op.

Looks like our choice will have an influence on which projects are crunched rather than outright selecting.
Yes, the project in a category getting the most votes is the project taking part in the Pentathlon. After the project is revealed, all the different team's votes for the category is shown.

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
I am in. With my Celeron 857 processor. :whistle:
And my Core i5 2450M. :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
As it is said on the front page:
TheSkyNet POGS is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in astronomy. We will combine the spectral coverage of GALEX, Pan-STARRS1, and WISE to generate a multi-wavelength UV-optical-NIR galaxy atlas for the nearby Universe. We will calculate physical parameters such as: star formation rate, stellar mass of the galaxy, dust attenuation, and total dust mass of a galaxy; on a pixel-by-pixel basis using spectral energy distribution fitting techniques. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer. TheSkyNet is an initiative of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR), a joint venture of Curtin University and The University of Western Australia. By joining this project your computer will help astronomers around the world answer some of the big questions we have about the Universe. TheSkyNet POGS is theSkyNet's newest project, in testing since late 2012 and officially joining theSkyNet on our second birthday - September 13th 2013.
I have run the project for some time, and had no trouble at all.