5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 speakers under 2k?

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
OK, like my other posts said, I am looking to set up a new home theater. I have no idea what I am looking for when shopping for sound related equipment, although I have an excellent ear trained by many years of playing classical music (1 chair all state trumpet in Virginia, thank you very much) and listening to my brother play the piano (he was a child prodigy and makes his living as a pianist). Thus, I know something is good when I hear it. Unfortunately, I am also extremely busy and have no idea where I could even go to hear some of the higher end speaker and receiver set ups that people discuss. If anyone could give me a recommendation of where I can go to hear some of these higher end speaker set ups I would appreciate it. Also, if there are any sub 2k 5.1 systems I should definitely listen to, please let me know.

And no bose recommendations. Aside from their headphones, I really do not like the way they sound.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
You might try looking for a local dealer for a manufacturer like Paradigm / Def Tech / Klipsch / etc.
They would likely have several options for you to hear in that pricerange.

Example
http://www.paradigm.com/en/dealer_locator/paradigm.php

You could get an idea what kind of speakers sound the best to you.

As an alternative for someone very busy, you could check out some online brands. Some of them have some very good in-home demo policies to let you try them out at home.

AV123, Ascend, Axiom, and SVS would be some very solid options to look at in your pricerange.

ognabor

Jun 6, 2007
I'll throw in a vote for Klipsch when it comes to reproduction. They're real nice, and easy to find. You can go to their web site and poke around a bit, you'll find that they "recommend" systems for all kinds of price points. They have a dealer locator on their site as well.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MoFoEd
I have a Fluance 5.1 speaker setup. Love them
You would have to buy a sub sepaprately though.
I have these:
http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

I used to have those and I think they're an ok way to go if you need floorstanders up front and have a small budget (although I think Polk R-series from outpost may be a better way to go looking back on it), with $2k, you can do far better.

On a total budget of $3k for speaker and receiver, you have a ton of great options out there.

I sent you a PM soxfan, if you want to take a look at that. I would just post the info, but as you can see, it's a work in progress and I'd rather have it completed before posting for all to see ;)

RupTheKid

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
AV123.com is known for good quality speakers with a beautiful finish for a great price. The same can be said for SVS subwoofers. I'd say your better off investing the same dollars in a 5.1 versus a 7.1, as it leaves you with a clear, affordable upgrade path in the future that won't require you replacing virtually your entire system. And yes, I'm a retailer for the above two companies, so you can take my biased opinion for what it's worth.

PS, I hope by soxfan you mean RedSoxFan, because as a Cubs fan otherwise I can't really talk to you anymore ;).

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Lulz I got some Kirschs they usually cost 3K but the guy said they ordered too many and practically gave them to me for 300!!!!