5,000% Price Increase For Daraprim

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Yup and I don't suppose the drug price and general assholery had nothing to do with it either.
He made himself a target I highly doubt we'd be here if the above didn't happen.

Maybe, but it's hard to say. He was definitely already on the radar of the feds, but the speculation that he was creating bad press so that he could short pharma/biotech stocks may have earned him some extra attention.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Is it possible for this guy to be more of a dick bag? I understand pleading the 5th but everything else is pure douchbaggery

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ate-and-insult-congress/ar-BBp1F6g?li=BBnb7Kz

If "berating and insulting Congress" is douchebaggery in your world then you live in a country 99% full of people longing to be dickbags. Hell most people would forgive him for the 5,000% price increase if he was using it to fund that berate and insult session.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Why is Congress not holding hearings on drug prices? American consumers and businesses are hurting from paying for these. Instead it's Benghazi 24-7.
No way drugs are expensive as they are if people had to pay out of pocket for them.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This guy is a douchebag, but a net positive for bringing attention to this big pharma rip off. Congress is the one responsible for allowing it, and they need to fix it. Start by allowing Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices. Then reform the FDA.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
This guy is a douchebag, but a net positive for bringing attention to this big pharma rip off. Congress is the one responsible for allowing it, and they need to fix it. Start by allowing Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices. Then reform the FDA.

Except it is hardly a new thing. Daraprim just made headlines. Hell, it wasn't even the first med Skreli did it to either.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Except it is hardly a new thing. Daraprim just made headlines. Hell, it wasn't even the first med Skreli did it to either.

And he wasn't even the first one to do it to this med. The previous owner jacked the price up from $1 to $13.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The dude is a dick obviously, and if he is guilty of securities fraud then I hope he goes down. His actions with Daraprim are unethical from a standpoint of access to needed treatment in an oft marginalized patient population. From a pure business standpoint, there's nothing wrong with raising your price of a good to meet demand in a free market. He only controlled supply because no one else bothered to manufacture an inexpensive off-patent drug. Still an immoral thing to do, but I see no inherent reason why the government should have protected the public from it.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Probably would not have been nailed for fraud even if he perpetrated fraud if only he had done right by the share holders.

Screw the patients.

Feb 16, 2005
the asshole is invoking the 5th. I think it's time for some more aggressive interrogation on this walking sack of puss
fhd997LAC_Russell_Crowe_010.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/04/news/companies/martin-shkreli-hearing/index.html

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
All the people questioning him are the fault people like him exist. It is all show. They are all in bed with Lobbyiests representing these companies.

He tipped the punchbowl being way too obvious and now everyone is mad and needs to make a show. He should have kept it low key.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
All the people questioning him are the fault people like him exist. It is all show. They are all in bed with Lobbyiests representing these companies.

He tipped the punchbowl being way too obvious and now everyone is mad and needs to make a show. He should have kept it low key.

Yeah. I still despise the guy, but I have no problem with him calling out Congress for being full of imbeciles. He's spot on there.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006

I read somewhere (might've been this forum) that the guy was talking on Reddit about shorting pharmaceutical companies before he started his shenanigans. So it could all be a hedged double-cross; makes money from the price gouging, then makes money from any new regulations or threat of new regulations to stop the price gouging.