Question 4Kn vs 512e SSD Sector Size in terms of performance

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
So I just got my new laptop which has a 2TB Sabrent Rocket Plus (OS) and a 4TB Sabrent Rocker (Storage)

I was searching on Sabrent's site to see if they had a special NVMe driver (which they don't) but came across this a utility called the Sabrent Sector Size Converter and noticed that both of them are using a 512e sector size.

I did some research as to which is better and the only thing I could find is that for older OSes like Windows 7 you cannot use 4K and the drive has to be using 512e for the sector size.

I converted them both to 4K (yes I had to format and reinstall the OS) just to see the performance difference and here it is, I don't know if there is really a tangible improvement or perhaps the results are higher when using 4K just as a margin of error so take what you will out of this.

Sabrent Rocket Plus 2TB

Sabrent Rocket Plus.png

Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB

Sabrent Rocket Q.png

00Logic

Oct 29, 2016
Drivers:
1st thing; go read this:
Which NVMe Drivers are the best (performance related)? - Important Drivers / Specific: NVMe Drivers - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)
NB the instructions for 1st installing the certificate.

2nd, VERY IMPORTANT thing is go read this:
Understanding SSDs | Understanding SSD Performance and Implications (thessdreview.com)

How Many Files Do Games Load? Does 4K Performance Matter to SSDs? | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

NB
That 66% of windows I/O is QD1 R4K. (mostly writes)
LESS THAN 1% is the large sequential advertisers wave around like burning flags..!

So:
It would seem that the driver of choice (fastest R4K) is:
* Intel sys: Intel’s generic RST NVMe driver v17.11.0.1000
* AMD sys: Micron’s specific NVMe driver v2.1.18.0

These Mod+Signed drivers are here:
Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers - Important Drivers / General: Storage Drivers (AHCI/RAID, NVMe and USB) - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

I recommend you check the site for similarly excellent SATA and USB etc drivers too.

Reactions: Leeea