4K TV won't display 4K resolution when connected to PC

Petar

May 5, 2015
Hello everybody,

I got new 4K Sony TV,and when i connected it with HDMI to my PC,i can get only 1080p resolution...
I don't have 2.0 HDMI,but i don't even know is that problem.
I think i somehow manage to changed resolution to 4K,but then i got no signal on TV.

Could you please help?

Petar

May 5, 2015
What video card and drivers?

Hi,my video card is ASUS 970 GTX OC Strix,and drivers are less then a month old.
I will be able to check exact drivers tomorrow(I'm on laptop now).
I hope that helps.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Ok the 970 should be able to handle 4k hdmi. What hdmi cable are you using? Do you have another? Have you installed the drivers for the monitor?

4k 60hz will require a hdmi 2.

If you have display port you can use that instead.

To display a 4k resolution at 60Hz, the video interface (HDMI, DisplayPort) needs to transfert 12Gbits/second of data:

– bit_per_channel = 8
– num_channels = 3 (RGB)
– resolution = 3840 * 2160
– 60Hz = 60 times per second
– bandwidth = 3840 * 2160 * 8 * 3 * 60
bandwidth 4k@60Hz = 11.94 Gbits/sec
bandwidth 4k@30Hz = 5.97 Gbits/sec

Here is a quick recap of HDMI and DisplayPort (DP) bandwidths:
  • HDMI 1.2: up to 4.95 Gbits/sec
  • HDMI 1.4: up to 10.2 Gbits/sec
  • HDMI 2.0: up to 18.0 Gbits/sec **
  • DisplayPort 1.2: 17.28 Gbit/sec **
  • DisplayPort 1.3: 32.4 Gbit/sec **
Only the ones I marked with ** will support 4k 60hz, so HDMI 2 or DP 1.2 or newer.

You can do 4k 30hz with HDMI 1.4

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, you should be able to at least do 4K30. I can with my 7950 cards, which are only HDMI 1.4, I think.

My RX 460 4GB card works fine for 4K60. It has HDMI 2.0.

I thought Maxwell V2.0 cards could do HDMI 2.0? Or is that only the GTX950 / GTX960 that have HDMI 2.0, and the 970/980 only have HDMI 1.4?

Edit: Are you certain that you are using the correct input port on your TV? Not all of them will necessarily give you 4K resolution, it depends on your TV. Early ones only had one or two HDMI2.0 ports.

Gundark

May 1, 2011
I can also connect with TV in 4K30 with HD7870 and HDMI 1.4. You need to check your driver and select proper settings.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I have my 970 connected to my 4K TV running 4K@60Hz no problem. What chroma settings do you have when you use 4K resolution?

Petar

May 5, 2015
Hi guys,and my apologize for late reply.
I installed drivers for the monitor,but I'm not sure what HDMI version i have,since it doesn't say on cable,but I will try to get 2.0 HDMI today.
TV is not very old,i think it's this year model.
I also tried another HDMI port,but no luck.
96Firebird i'm sorry,but I'm not familiar with chroma settings,so i can't tell :/

Gundark

May 1, 2011
Hi guys,and my apologize for late reply.
I installed drivers for the monitor,but I'm not sure what HDMI version i have,since it doesn't say on cable,but I will try to get 2.0 HDMI today.
TV is not very old,i think it's this year model.
I also tried another HDMI port,but no luck.
96Firebird i'm sorry,but I'm not familiar with chroma settings,so i can't tell :/

https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/
This should help you. And your card should have HDMI 2.0. Cable doesn't matter.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Cable does matter actually. An old cable (prior to 1.2 I believe) won't work. I know because I've tried it.

OP - getting 4K/30Hz should be automatic, getting 60Hz takes tweaking. If the system doesn't default to 4K/30Hz, get a new cable. Your GTX 970 is perfectly capable of 4K/60Hz/4:4:4 chroma. Again, I know because I've tested it. The only thing that may hold you back is the TV, which may not have 4:4:4 capabilities, but that's clearly not what you're concerned about at this point.

Reactions: A5

Petar

May 5, 2015
I think my cable is 1.4 but since it doesn't have tag i can't tell...
I did manage to connect TV and monitor,and get 4K reslution on TV.
However,i can't see all icons on both monitor and TV,and it looks like those two displays are connected-when i go with mouse cursor all the way right it dissapear and it transforms to monitor.
That would be solved if i can put ''duplicate these displays'',but when i do that i can't change resolution to 4K...

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Cable does matter, HDMI is rated for different versions at different lengths, so especially important with long (relative to HDMI distances) cable runs.

4k30 needs HDMI 1.4 upwards
4k60 needs HDMI 2.0 upwards

All ports and cables involved require support of that HDMI version, the video card, the TV and the cable. This may sound stupid but some display devices can come with ports that cannot manage the full resolution of the device so make sure to check that.

You may have to configure a custom resolution/refresh rate in your graphics card control panel if the screen doesn't autodetect. Make sure your video card drivers are the very latest.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I did manage to connect TV and monitor,and get 4K reslution on TV.
However,i can't see all icons on both monitor and TV,and it looks like those two displays are connected-when i go with mouse cursor all the way right it dissapear and it transforms to monitor.
That would be solved if i can put ''duplicate these displays'',but when i do that i can't change resolution to 4K...

So, you've got a 4K TV, and a (1080P?) monitor, and you're trying to put a 4K res on both? Won't work.

Petar

May 5, 2015
I manage to change resolution to 4K and it works,but now i have new problem-icons are not on screen,they are on left part of the screen and i can't see it.
It's like picture is zoomed,not in full screen.
VirtualLarry,I'm not trying to put 4K on both,i know that won't work.
I want to use PC like Playstation 4,i want to connect them and play games on same way i play on PS4.
Sorry if this sounds a bit weird,i tried to explained it as best as i can.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Icons may simply be arranged incorrectly after a resolution change, you can refresh the screen with the F5 key which may re-align then, or force it by right clicking your desktop and selecting arrange by or order by and picking some preference. If that doesn't work then there's a problem where your resolution of the desktop doesn't equal that of the monitor. In that case you'll have to play with the resolution settings some more and also look at the scaling in windows, in older versions known as the DPI or font size, controlled through the screen resolution part of the control panel. Typically changes to these settings requires a reboot.

Petar

May 5, 2015
I manage to make all works,all i need was resize desktop on nVidia Control Panel,and i did lose some quality,but only a bit.
Big thanks to everyone who helped me :)