• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question 4K monitor for causal gaming//watching movie/anime: 27" IPS or 31.5" VA?

Sandbo

Sep 10, 2013
With the incoming GPUs, I realized it maybe a good time to consider an upgrade to 4k monitors.
I don't really game a lot these days, plus I still believe the above-60p gaming with 4k maybe a couple years away, I want to keep my budget on those 4k60p monitors.

Apart from some choices from LG, I found those new Dell monitors pretty interesting, and I am torn between two options:

Dell 27 4K UHD Monitor - S2721QS (IPS)

and

Dell 32 Curved 4K UHD Monitor - S3221QS (VA)

What I am not sure about them is the part of IPS versus VA panel.
I have heard that the higher contrast ratio of VA panels can give better details on dark for movies and so;
but people also argue that VA panel's color can look washed-out if not viewed at the right angle, which maybe concerning as I will sit relatively close to the monitor.

How would you choose, ignoring the price difference for now, from the above two options?
Apart from them, I am also happy to hear other alternatives in the similar price range.

Thanks!

dlerious

Mar 4, 2004
I've only had IPS and TN monitors. Not a fan of curved monitors. I'm happy with my 27" 4k60 IPS (LG 27UK650) , but wish I would've gone with 32" for 4K.

ASK THE COMMUNITY