4gb hd7850

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
It exists to get more money out of the consumer than they need to spend.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Anything more than 2gb is a waste with a card of that calibre. Even a 7970 ghz can't fully use 3gb fully at 1600p in most cases, though at times it might need more than 2 gb,

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Anything more than 2gb is a waste with a card of that calibre. Even a 7970 ghz can't fully use 3gb fully at 1600p in most cases, though at times it might need more than 2 gb,

This statement is unfounded. It totally depends on how you use up the vram. Modded Skyrim will chew up vram with ease and yet remain fairly light on the gpu. If you intend on just dumping on intensive AA modes to get higher vram usage then yes that will overwhelm the cards processing power before utilizing all the ram available

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
This statement is unfounded. It totally depends on how you use up the vram. Modded Skyrim will chew up vram with ease and yet remain fairly light on the gpu. If you intend on just dumping on intensive AA modes to get higher vram usage then yes that will overwhelm the cards processing power before utilizing all the ram available

I'm sorry, but the card is still pointless and just exists to nab unsuspecting customers. At $279.99 you're better off just getting a 3GB 7950 Boost.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012

You negated your own point and supported mine instead,

I said if you raise the settings to a level where more than 2 gb would be needed by a 7850 then the processing power anyway is inadequate to power those settings so you even excess ram won't help play it in an optimum manner. Cards which are much faster may utilize more than 2gb while maintains good fps, like 7970 ghz or or better still Titan. But such high settings aren't smooth on a 7850 anyway in most cases.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I meant to bold the part about the 7970. I agree that a 7850 with 4gb is a waste. A 7970 with 3gb to me is a well balanced card

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I never said that it wasn't well balanced. But even a Titan with 3gb would be balanced and under realistic loads won fall short on VRAM.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
not at 4k, which i think is the reason it has 6gb

Wrong. For 40% extra performance you don't need 3gb extra VRAM. Future mid range cards will still be 2-3 gb VRAM and yet compete its Titan because that much memory is enuf in most cases for that much processing power. 4gb is in fact in the higher side for Titan.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
It exists to get more money out of the consumer than they need to spend.

^This. This probably happens because most of the system requirements out there for games and programs usually goes like this

Recommended System Operating Requirements for PC
• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
• DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
• Quad core CPU
• 4GB Memory

So as long as they see the DX11 icon and 4GB they immediately think that the card must be extremely powerful after all it has 4x the needed vram for recommended gameplay/use