4870 Problems!!

CyberAtomix

Jun 23, 2008
hi all i was testing my 4870 with games like crysis, Grid, mass effect, Dirt all these games worked perfectly please keep in mind that i played these games without no disc inserted , then when i put the disc for gears of war and start the game after maybe 5 minutes of playtime or so my screen goes black saying out of signal is this a sign of not having enough power from my PSU ? i also have a 3870 wich i put back into my pc for now since the 4870 is basically for a whole new pc i'm building any help would be great!!

btw my temp is 50c idle and 60 under load with the fan profile fix :p

i have a feeling that my 4870 maybe its faulty but not sure

i also disabled EDID in CCC after i did that i was able to recover from having no signal then
a message pops up that my display drivers recovered sucessfully any help , ideas would be great ty in advance my specs below with my old 3870 lol

my monitor is an LCD connected trough vga btw if that helps
My PC Specs:
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ , 2912 MHz (14 x 208)
Motherboard Name Biostar TA690G AM2 Micro-Atx Form Factor
Total 2045 MB ram OCZ Turbo
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
ATI Radeon HD 3870
Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
2 Hard Drives 300 GB and 250GB
2 DvD Drives
Thermaltake Tt Lanbox
Catalyst version 8.6
{have the hot fix installed when i test my 4870 btw}

PSU Specs: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +5V SB -12V
max 32.0A* 40A* 19A* 19A 2.0A 1.0A
Min. Load 0.5A 0.5A 0.4A 0.4A 0A 0A
Load Reg. ±3% ±3% ±3% ±3% ±5% ±5%
Ripple V(p-p) 50mV 50mV 120mV 120mV 50mV 120mV
* +5V, +3.3V, +12V1, 12V2 maximum output 530 Watts max

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
it could very well be your power supply. who makes it?

i think the 4870 needs 30 amps on the 12v rail and it seems you have 38 total but other things can be using it and/or the quality of the PS just may not be up to snuff.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Doesn't sound like a power issue to me, but stranger thinks have happened.

I believe there was a thread about certain monitors being incompatible with the 4800 series, due to the monitors not supporting something with DVI and the 4870 expects this. A VGA to DVI adapter and a VGA cable should tell if this is the issue or not.

It could also be a driver issue, have you tried using the beta drivers?

CyberAtomix

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Quiksilver
Doesn't sound like a power issue to me, but stranger thinks have happened.

I believe there was a thread about certain monitors being incompatible with the 4800 series, due to the monitors not supporting something with DVI and the 4870 expects this. A VGA to DVI adapter and a VGA cable should tell if this is the issue or not.

It could also be a driver issue, have you tried using the beta drivers?

i'm using the the adapter included with my 4870 my monitor is connected trough the vga

not using the beta yet currently testing with the hotfix for the 4870 internet is kind of up and down will download those beta drivers when i get a chance i disabled one of my dvd drives and i noticed that it was lasting a bit longer lol maybe my psu its faulty the good thing is that i purchased an extended warranty on my 4870 just in case its kind of hard for me to do major upgrades at the moment since i'm far away,[i'm so far away from home that it takes 1 week or 2 to get something from newegg} currently playing around with my micro-atx gaming pc
believe me i can't wait till i get back to the states i have plans on doing major upgrades , maybe i should keep my 4870 in the box for now i noticed that my 3870 can handle most games.

CyberAtomix

Jun 23, 2008
what bothers me the most is that all the rest of the games run fine without any issues and gow is the only one i did some research trough google and i noticed that gears of war was benched for reviewing the card in some forums the system is pretty much stable if i don't run that game gonna do some more tweaking to see whats going on.