4870 crash?

madbutcher88

Jul 4, 2008
I installed the new 8.7 catalyst and then went on to check my frames in crysis and when I loaded it up the game just crashed and my monitor went blank and stayed that way(pc was on but no picture) I restarted and everything was fine should I be worried?(it has happened twice so far but in different instances) also im getting around 77C

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
What OS? That happened to me 4 times in the 2 weeks that i had my 4870/8.6 "hotfix" drivers. I'd first suspect the drivers, then any power and or heat issues. Unfortunately the choices of drivers are so far limited as the cards are so new.

Check the power reqs vs your PS 12v output and the temps your card is running, possibly doing the manual fan "fix" via CCC profile.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Have you checked your temperature during full load? I ask this because many people usually check it after they've exited a game and in those couple of seconds the temperature can drop lots and lots of degrees.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Add a catalyst profile to run the fan at a higher %.

I'm using 8.5 + hotfix and have played about 30 hours of Mass Effect without a crash, but I have my fan speed up to have it running at 60c instead of 80c.

madbutcher88

Jul 4, 2008
I dont see any fan speed options in catalyst how would I do this nd after playing crysis on high my temp is around 80c(I know I have enough power so I guess its the drivers )

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: madbutcher88
I dont see any fan speed options in catalyst how would I do this nd after playing crysis on high my temp is around 80c(I know I have enough power so I guess its the drivers )

Make a profile in the CCC after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct.

For Vista

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP - Thanks Spartan for the path...

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file, then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC. Done.

Edit 1:

After experimenting with my HIS HD4870 I found a fan-speed of 37% works best for me. My temps went from 79C at idle to 48C.

Edit 2:

Contrary to instrcutions posted on Guru3D by Bretware, most people are able to set their fan speed to "Automatic" rather than "Manual". Having it set to "Automatic" should allow the fan speed to ramp-up if needed beyond the fan-speed you entered. This doesn't work for me however and I must use "Manual".
-Source