4870 1Gb vs. GTX 260 216

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Trying to decide between these two ~$300 cards, and haven't heard much discussion about them head-to-head.

Thoughts?

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Well, take my opinion for what its worth.

I am and always will be an ATI fan. But this time for some reason, something told me to go with a EVGA 9800GTX. And I did.

And now if I had that choice of cards, I would go for the GTX260.

They have totally redeemed themselves since the 7xxx series in image quality.

Nice job NV :thumbsup:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: nRollo
Originally posted by: Sulaco
Trying to decide between these two ~$300 cards, and haven't heard much discussion about them head-to-head.

Thoughts?

Personally I might wait a little bit more as you've already skipped a few cycles and there are rumored refreshes of both allegedly launching soon.

This. Even if you still get one of these cards, right around the corner releases should drop their prices too.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005

Thoughts?

Personally I might wait a little bit more as you've already skipped a few cycles and there are rumored refreshes of both allegedly launching soon.

Wait a bit then buy what suits your needs and budget best

nRollo,

I have around 79 days left on my step-up. Do you think the refreshes will be out by then ?

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
HD 4870 1GB, faster overall, specially when FSAA is on in high resolutions, it gets dangerously close to the GTX 280.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Here's the latest review.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/...wxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Get a factory overclocked 260 with a lifetime warranty from BFG/EVGA/XFX/etc.
Nice a review with a stock 4870 512mb against a OC GTX260+. Besides other problems I see with that review. No DX10.1 patch for stalker for starters. Beta drivers on Nvidia while WHQL for ATi. There's plenty more I could find also.

What really bothers me about HardOCP is they've done 4 OC GTX260 reviews and not one OC 4870 review.

----

I say go the 1GB 4870.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: JPB

Thoughts?

nRollo,

I have around 79 days left on my step-up. Do you think the refreshes will be out by then ?

Charlie D. says no, so common sense says......

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

Thoughts?

Wow, I totally overlooked the Quadro lauch details. Very clever nRollo. Power consumption looks amazing. 1.7+ on shaders.. very nice. Can't wait..

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: SteelSix

Thoughts?

Wow, I totally overlooked the Quadro lauch details. Very clever nRollo. Power consumption looks amazing. 1.7+ on shaders.. very nice. Can't wait..

Lets hope this high end card can run Crysis at 1680x1050 with all details on very high through the whole game. If I can't enable 4x AA and 16 AF as well at these settings then I guess that is ok. Better than nothing. At least it is a step ahead now sense no video card can run Crysis through the whole game with all settings at very high.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005

Thoughts?

nRollo,

:confused:

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

Thoughts?

nRollo,

:laugh: Ahh.. my first concert..

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

Thoughts?

nRollo,

These products are under NDA, so the only thing I can do at this point is note what's been leaked already.

Given the launch of 55nm Quadros that are the same chips as the refreshes, and JHH saying all shipping parts are 55nm, I think your step up opportunity may well come within 79 days. :)

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Here's the latest review.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/...wxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Get a factory overclocked 260 with a lifetime warranty from BFG/EVGA/XFX/etc.
Nice a review with a stock 4870 512mb against a OC GTX260+. Besides other problems I see with that review. No DX10.1 patch for stalker for starters. Beta drivers on Nvidia while WHQL for ATi. There's plenty more I could find also.

What really bothers me about HardOCP is they've done 4 OC GTX260 reviews and not one OC 4870 review.

----

I say go the 1GB 4870.

mr wreck looks more like the Nvidia fanboy these days than rollo. does anyone else notice this?

after that AT article its clear that the 4870 1gb is the stronger card. i'd def get the 4870 over the 260

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
The thing is that there is alot more OCed GTX 260s than HD4870s. Its true and has been for the last 2 or 3 generations. nVIDIA always had more variety when it came to brand offerings whether it be the HSF, warrant, OCed variants and even PCB colour. Almost all the major partners of nVIDIA sell overclocked cards, and some or most are cheaper than a stock variant from a low tier partner. So its kind of mute to saying that its unfair comparison. It is only "unfair" if the OCed card is of higher cost than the card your comparing it to.

From all perspective, i dont think it matters in which card to go for. Both are very close in performance.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
The thing is that there is alot more OCed GTX 260s than HD4870s. Its true and has been for the last 2 or 3 generations. nVIDIA always had more variety when it came to brand offerings whether it be the HSF, warrant, OCed variants and even PCB colour. Almost all the major partners of nVIDIA sell overclocked cards, and some or most are cheaper than a stock variant from a low tier partner. So its kind of mute to saying that its unfair comparison. It is only "unfair" if the OCed card is of higher cost than the card your comparing it to.

From all perspective, i dont think it matters in which card to go for. Both are very close in performance.

i agree, unless you're fussing over 10 fps (which anything over 75 i can't tell the difference anyway) then just get the one with more stable drivers.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I'd go with the 4870 just because it has 1GB of vram (assuming the 216 doesn't). A few games already exist (Company of Heroes, Crysis) that can use over 512MB of vram, and more will only come.
Also, I find ATI drivers to be more stable...in Windows.
Nvidia basically defines Linux 3d though, for any Ubuntu fans out there.
ATI seems to be better in legacy apps than nvidia's newer cards, but this is somewhat made up for (for me) by WINE + Ubuntu + nvidia being even better still in legacy apps in many cases. (while Vista + ATI for legacy apps is meh to ok, and Vista + nvidia for legacy apps is GAHAGH)

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005

Thoughts?

nRollo,

These products are under NDA, so the only thing I can do at this point is note what's been leaked already.

Given the launch of 55nm Quadros that are the same chips as the refreshes, and JHH saying all shipping parts are 55nm, I think your step up opportunity may well come within 79 days. :)

Hot damn !

Thats all I needed to know. Thanks :thumbsup:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
So nobody feels that GPU physics should play a role in this decision?

Im asking because i am trying to decide the same thing, and i was leaning toward the GTX 260 due to its lower power consumption and the ability to add a card for physics later if needed.

Right now im running two G92 8800GTS 512mb cards in sli, and im noticing slight stutter in games when textures are loading as opposed to my wifes pc with my old 768mb 8800GTX which just plays smoother.

My sli may win the benches and avg fps, but her 8800GTX still wins in the smooth gameplay dept.

So i want more Vram and less power/heat in my next upgrade.

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
The thing is that there is alot more OCed GTX 260s than HD4870s. Its true and has been for the last 2 or 3 generations. nVIDIA always had more variety when it came to brand offerings whether it be the HSF, warrant, OCed variants and even PCB colour.

I disagree about the HSF. The 4850 and 4870 have quite a few HSF variations from the standard, while the GTX 260 and 280's have none with the exception of the watercooling versions.