4850 crashes Assassin's Creed?

shangshang

May 17, 2008
OK I'm experiencing crashes here. Anyone experiencing game crashes from the 4850 in general?

I don't think my crash is related to temperature this time around, because temp reading was "only" 80C at the time of the crash. (Before, Assassin's would crash out at random points when my 4850 was hitting 93C-95C under load).

I have the Visiontek with the MSI bios, modified fan% to spin at 30% minimum. I don't think it has anything to do with the msi bios. Probably has more to do with either Assassin's itself and/or 4850 drivers. ATI has been pretty slow on the drivers side.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
which drivers are you using? I also have a visiontek with msi bios which i modified for fan speed... and getting 80c load.
I haven't used it on AC, but on city of heroes i was getting non stop crashes with 8.7 beta. And not a single crash with the 8.6 drivers. (i downgraded).
You can try upgrading/downgrading depending on which driver you use.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
With 4850 CF I was having to lower my clocks or AC would crash. Temps were not the issue as I have good aftermarket cooling. Disabling Catalyst A.I. solved the problem. I'm able to run at 690 core 1080 mem in CF with zero issues now.

Love this setup! AC is pretty cool. I like wasting archers on the rooftops.. :evil:

shangshang

May 17, 2008
A ha! So I wasn't the only one around here! I'm using the "hotfix" Cat 8.6. Haven't tried Cat 8.7 beta drivers yet. Umm before MSI bios mod, AC was crashing randomly and I believe it was due to high temp at the time. But now, AC would crash right at the point I enter the city of Jerusalem (after the cut scene video has finished playing), every single time! Very frustrating! I'm gonna try to lower the resolution, graphics settings, disable features to see if I can get past this crashing point so I can continue on with the game.

But it seems like AC isn't the only game that's crashing in here. CoH too huh?!

I'm serious, ATI has got to get moving with their drivers. They have been pretty good at updating drivers in the past. I think it's quite unacceptable that the 48xx series cards have been out for almost a month now, and are not even listed on their "drivers list" on their site. I'm of the opinion that AMD is not putting the 48xx on their drivers list because they don't feel confident that they have tested their current drivers enough to make them "official" for the 48xx cards. I mean why would AMD release a "hotfix" version of Cat 8.6" for the 48xx cards, and yet still not list the 48xx cards on their official drivers list? Usually, manufacturers WANT to list their hardwares and their drivers together and ASAP. I can only surmise that AMD isn't listing their hardware because they're still testing the software and are short on help.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
Is just the game crashing, the video driver crashing or are you getting a BSOD?

shangshang

May 17, 2008
The end-result (what I see) is the game crashing, but who knows if it's just the game or just the drivers or a combination of both. It's not bsoding though.

I tried disabling AI in CCC, but that didn't help.

However, after disabling AI, I'm getting another weird problem, my LCD monitor flashes a few times when I start AC now. it's as if AC is trying to "sync" with the monitor. So I figure well let's re-enable AI and see if the flashes go away. And they didn't. So now I have introduced a new problem. Great.

I swear I'm so tempted to borrow a buddy's 8800GT and see if it'll get me past this crashing point so I can continue on with the game. I think I might re-install AC and just start playing over from scratch. I like AC and wouldn't mind playing from scratch, but it's damn frustrating.

Oh, 4850 is running stock speed. No overclocking.

Muggy

May 14, 2005
Is it only AC ? Did you try 3DMark 06 just in case ? Friend had a similar issue where Crysis, 3DMark 06 kept crashing. The only thing that helped was a complete OS reinstall :p Working absolutely fine after that. Oh, btw he did move from a NV card (8800GTX).

shangshang

May 17, 2008
So far, I've only played AC with the 4850, so that's that. Haven't tried 3dmark yet. Did try Fur Opengl and that didn't crash.

I've also tried Cat 8.7 beta, didn't help either. Also tried updating my Audigy2 drivers, didn't help.

Oh man, I'm just gonna reinstall AC. I dread reinstalling XP even though I have the basic ghost image of it. I swear sometimes PC gaming can be a real headaches! Maybe I should just resign to an Xbox360?!