4850 Changed HSF to a S1 & also CF Cable Problem

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I changed the heatsink of one of my 4850's and now i cant control the speed of the heatsink..

This is the way the steps unwrapped:-

The HSF came off without much problem.

I installed the new S1 v2 with a fresh coating of arctic paste on the core.

I installed the old fan which i took out of the orignal cooler.

Every thing worked great i could control the fan speeds.

But then i ran ATi tool and tried artifact scan, after about 10min i touched the S1 heatsink with ever so light-a-hand that the dam thing hung.. I had to cold re-start the dam thing and ever since then i cant control the fan speed it is stick at 20%..

I tried reinstalling the drivers but not a thing.

P.S. I cant get the CF cable through the fin's...how can i connect the CF cable through the S1????

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
I changed the heatsink of one of my 4850's and now i cant control the speed of the heatsink..

This is the way the steps unwrapped:-

The HSF came off without much problem.

I installed the new S1 v2 with a fresh coating of arctic paste on the core.

I installed the old fan which i took out of the orignal cooler.

Every thing worked great i could control the fan speeds.

But then i ran ATi tool and tried artifact scan, after about 10min i touched the S1 heatsink with ever so light-a-hand that the dam thing hung.. I had to cold re-start the dam thing and ever since then i cant control the fan speed it is stick at 20%..

I tried reinstalling the drivers but not a thing.

P.S. I cant get the CF cable through the fin's...how can i connect the CF cable through the S1????

What are you doing reinstalling the stock fan with an Accelero cooler??

The way to do it is to zip tie a good quality 120mm fan onto the S1, let it run 100% because it's very quiet and have no more worry about fan speeds.

Sounds like you've not seated the S1 good anyhow, it should run fine passively on a 4850. You probably need to reseat it, reading the instructions very carefully. I can disconnect the fan on mine no problem, it idles 20c hotter but when you idle at 30c with the fan, that aint such a problem.

Either way, what you are doing messing around with the stock cooler is beyond me. Aside from that, you need to keep the original cooler intact in case you have to send it back. Whether they would exchange it is another thing, but with the stock cooler intact, at least you could try.

I believe you have to bend a couple of fins on the S1s to connect the CF cable, it won't harm it at all to do that.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I did not have a extra fan so i took apart the stock fan and put it on the S1 the problem is that i cant control the fan speed the cooler does work wonderfully...

My card runs under 70C loaded....But i need the fan to run at at least 50 % !!

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
I did not have a extra fan so i took apart the stock fan and put it on the S1 the problem is that i cant control the fan speed the cooler does work wonderfully...

My card runs under 70C loaded....But i need the fan to run at at least 50 % !!

What's the point? That stock fan isn't going to take much more than a few C off your temps.

You need a 120mm fan if you want active cooling, end of story.

What you want to do is futile so I aint gonna encourage you in that direction.

Just go get a 120mm fan, costs a few bucks. Problem solved.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
Ya i know thats the only way left actrally i have lots of PCI cards and it seems that i will have to take out Wifi to use the 80MM fan oh well...

The stock fan was small enough to be tucked almost anywhere!!