48% Think Spending Cuts Could Trigger Violence

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Interesting. some 48% don't pay federal income tax either. Coincidence? I think not. Think for a moment what would happen if we cut food stamps and welfare just 5% across the board. Imagine if they really went after fraud in those programs as means to "cut".

Would the benefactors of those programs think "well, better eat my peas, this is my fair share" or not? Two sides to this coin, those receiving benefits know they'll riot/loot (hey! they did it everywhere else and imma gonna get mine!) and tax payers who are paying attention and also know they will and are preparing for it.

I'm confused. Are you for or against the will of "we the people"?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
I'm confused. Are you for or against the will of "we the people"?

When we the people start burning shops and causing violence because they didn't get a hand-out, we need to reduce their incentive to "democratically express their opinions"

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
The funny thing is that if you do the math and include all forms of taxes, not just income tax, then the poor (even the ones with a 0% income tax) actually pay a higher income percentage as tax than any of the rich. Then you have people like Spidey and ProfJohn who want to live in an oligarchy.

Can you show your math, oh and can you also break down taxes divided into hours worked.

out wait, i just tried on my calculator and it gave me a divide by zero error

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
48% Think Spending Cuts Could Trigger Violence

My personal opinion, I think there is a group of people out there that would rather turn to violence then go to work.

The sense of entitlement runs deep in this country, and that is not going to change overnight.

I was working at a camp for hurricane Katrina evacuees. A lady gets off the bus, walks into the reception office, sits down with a counselor. The counselor hands the lady a form and ask her to fill it out. The lady looks at the form, and hands it back to the counselor without being completed. The lady then tells the counselor she wants to sign up for public housing and food stamps.

What got to me was the ladies attitude. She refused to fill out the paperwork, all she wanted was her public housing apartment and food stamps. The rude lady went on to say that the state of Louisiana had all of her information and the counselor should ask the state for her records.

It just happened to be friday evening, the welfare office was closed, and to be able to stay at the camp the lady was going to "have" to fill out the paperwork.

How someone living on public money can have such a rude and arrogant attitude, I do not know.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
How someone living on public money can have such a rude and arrogant attitude, I do not know.

People on welfare don't feel humble for receiving handouts by the generosity of others. That's what it means to be entitled. She has a right to that money and house. And the clerk was getting in her way of receiving what was rightfully hers. Of course she had every reason to be angry.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
In other news, the prison industry is awash in new hiring in anticipation of imprisoning 48% of the population!

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Can you show your math, oh and can you also break down taxes divided into hours worked.

out wait, i just tried on my calculator and it gave me a divide by zero error

Federal income taxes aren't the only type of taxes that we pay in this country.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Screw the entitlement attitude and screw the rioters.

The president needs to grow a pair of balls and do what needs to be done to fix our debt problem. Then he needs to call the entire National Guard back from furlough, and begin deploying them domestically near the locations most likely to have issues. I'm thinking Chicago, LA, Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Oakland, etc.

The first rioter that starts something gets shot with rubber bullets, tazed, maced, teargassed, and they are NOT allowed to escape. Every one after is treated the same way until the bullshit stops.

The people who think they are above the law need to be taught to respect it. The entitlements need to stop, and we need to move back towards being a country where people work to earn things, or don't get those things.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Its very simple. Give black people jobs so you bitter white people can let go of blacks on welfare. Honestly, just come out and say it. Blacks Blacks Blacks.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Sorry, the majority of the blacks that would need jobs that are on welfare are blue-collar type, which means they're being done by illegals now. Get blacks to vote for a candidate who promises to lock down the border and then kick out about 1/2 the illegals and maybe they'll have a chance getting those jobs. Of course, the illegals a.) show up to work and b.) actually work when at work, w/o b1tching......choices choices....

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
WTF? This isn't a black vs. white issue. I see just as many worthless white people as I do black people. This is about worthless people who were brought up by idiots, or not brought up at all, that wouldn't understand an honest day's work if it kicked them in the ass. There's a small minority that hasn't been educated on what exactly is out there that they can do, but they're a small portion of the general unwashed masses.

I'm not saying remove welfare, food stamps, etc. But we're going to have to cut them back and raise taxes at the same time. We also need a matching system where people actually get MORE welfare and food stamps for being productive at a job of some sort to encourage them to work.

There are ways to do this. The politicians, however, won't do it because they'll lose votes.

PS - After reading that I'd like to clarify, because cutting and giving more at the same time seem opposites. #1 - start drug testing receivers of entitlements. #2 - Cut the amount of time you can remain unemployed. #3 - cut the overall level across the board. #4 Do NOT cut off welfare for those that get employed. Create a tiered system where it is gradually reduced as they earn more moeny, so that by working they will actually get MORE money in combination with welfare than they would without working.

We need to encourage people to work and be productive. We need to reduce entitlements that allow them to do nothing.

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
liberals are solving the entitlement junky problem thru wide spread abortion. Liberal Black and White women are flushing their kids down the toilet as fast as they can get them sucked out. Abortion lowers the crime rate and prison population. Nothing but win win about abortion.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
What percentage thinks cutting defense contracts and military spending would lead to more terrorism? You can start with my one for for none, I'm perfectly fine with cutting corporate welfare.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What percentage thinks cutting defense contracts and military spending would lead to more terrorism? You can start with my one for for none, I'm perfectly fine with cutting corporate welfare.

The problem with that is we actually get something for that spending, vs. welfare/free food/free housing/free everything. No return on that waste of money that is parenting poor broke people that want nothing more than to stay that way to get their "money". Gotta get mine, amma I right?

All while producing nothing in return.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

We are getting plenty of return, it is just negative. These people have lots of children who know nothing but the government dole either and most will never grow up to amount to anything. They do nothing but consume tax dollar, both federal and local.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
The problem with that is we actually get something for that spending, vs. welfare/free food/free housing/free everything. No return on that waste of money that is parenting poor broke people that want nothing more than to stay that way to get their "money". Gotta get mine, amma I right?

I'm not a fan of people who abuse and leach off the entitlement system, but let's not pretend it doesn't put at least some money back into the economy. Whether you're spending the money on bread or missiles, it gets pumped back in to the economy to some degree.

Obviously it's not an efficient way of doing things.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I'm not a fan of people who abuse and leach off the entitlement system, but let's not pretend it doesn't put at least some money back into the economy. Whether you're spending the money on bread or missiles, it gets pumped back in to the economy to some degree.

You have a fundamentally flawed view of basic economics.

Me stealing $5 from you, and then using that $5 to buy a gallon of milk from you, does not put $5 into the economy. Regardless of whether you believe welfare is constitutional, legal, or moral, there is no functional difference economically. Money is a representation of LABOR and PRODUCTIVITY. Taking money from someone to give to someone else produces no wealth.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
You have a fundamentally flawed view of basic economics.

Me stealing $5 from you, and then using that $5 to buy a gallon of milk from you, does not put $5 into the economy. Regardless of whether you believe welfare is constitutional, legal, or moral, there is no functional difference economically. Money is a representation of LABOR and PRODUCTIVITY. Taking money from someone to give to someone else produces no wealth.

You're assuming I ever intended to spend the $5. Regardless, you also completely ignored what I said. I didn't say it produces wealth, I said some of it makes its way back into the economy.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
You're assuming I ever intended to spend the $5. Regardless, you also completely ignored what I said. I didn't say it produces wealth, I said some of it makes its way back into the economy.

But it was already in the economy to begin with. You had to take it out of the economy to redistribute it in the first place. You are taking $10 of out of the economy and then putting $5 back in while flushing $5 down the toilet due to government waste. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
But it was already in the economy to begin with. You had to take it out of the economy to redistribute it in the first place. You are taking $10 of out of the economy and then putting $5 back in while flushing $5 down the toilet due to government waste. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

:colbert:

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
fsck the abusers and those who dn't need it but are too lazy to work....if you REALLY need it, then i wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. The whole IDEA of welfare is a just and noble one..... once people figured out how to milk it.....

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
Ah - it all makes sense now.

Cut social programs, the peons riot, they are placed in jail - all the rich people are now safe, sound and secure. Plus, they get to keep all their money!

The middle class will just have to pay for funding all these prisons (if they want to be safe, they will have to!). The rich people can now make even MORE money, by having stuff manufactured by those in prison (no more $10 a week for the children in China!), for free.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
right, we have the option, give them free monies, food and shelter, OR they will riot, cause violence until we put them in jail, which gets them free food, shelter and healthcare in exchange for a "criminal record" which for them doesn't mean a damn thing since they're not out looking for a job or anything else subject to a criminal background check.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I would have just gone for shoot the rioters, or, the rioters overtake the shooters...someone will win, but, that's just me...