48% Think Spending Cuts Could Trigger Violence

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
48% Think Spending Cuts Could Trigger Violence

Posting in a spidey race riots are coming thread

They will have to do it without cell phone service

8-12-2011

http://news.yahoo.com/sf-cell-shutd...BzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

San Fransisco subway shutdowns cell phones to prevent riots

An illegal, Orwellian violation of free-speech rights? Or just a smart tactic to protect train passengers from rowdy would-be demonstrators during a busy evening commute?

The question resonated Saturday in San Francisco and beyond as details emerged of Bay Area Rapid Transit officials' decision to cut off underground cellphone service for a few hours at several stations Thursday.

Commuters at stations from downtown to near the city's main airport were affected as BART officials sought to tactically thwart a planned protest over the recent fatal shooting of a 45-year-old man by transit police.

Similar questions of censorship have arisen in recent days as Britain's government put the idea of curbing social media services on the table in response to several nights of widespread looting and violence in London and other English cities. Police claim that young criminals used Twitter and Blackberry instant messages to coordinate looting sprees in riots.

Prime Minister David Cameron said that the government, spy agencies and the communications industry are looking at whether there should be limits on the use of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook or services like BlackBerry Messenger to spread disorder.

In the San Francisco instance, Sweet said BART board members were told by the agency of its decision during the closed portion of its meeting Thursday afternoon, less than three hours before the protest was scheduled to start.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
That is irrelevant and quit making excuses.

Half of the country pays for 2.7% of the bills.
Meanwhile the top 1% pay 38% of the bills.

And yet it is the rich who are constantly accused of not paying their fair share... o_O

how much do the top 1% make? those numbers will be fine and support your argument if they make <38% of income. if they make more than 38% of the country's income, then the argument could be made they don't pay 'their fair share'

cr0ssfire

Sep 10, 2005
So how is that going to help when the leeches on wall street run up oil to $100 barrel? You know its going to happen. Whoever owns the field is going to export it to China.

I think we're getting off-topic. I'd be happy to continue these sorts of conversations elsewhere, but we should stick to the OP.

How's this for pain at the pump, though: the government makes more money per gallon of gasoline than the oil companies do. California takes in 66.1 cents per gallon, while Exxon makes just 2 cents. Two. T-W-O. This is another example of bloated government and how it hurts everyone. We can help everyone, working-class families included, by scaling back the government so we can, in time, lower gas tax rates.

Last edited:

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I think we're getting off-topic. I'd be happy to continue these sorts of conversations elsewhere, but we should stick to the OP.

How's this for pain at the pump, though: the government makes more money per gallon of gasoline than the oil companies do. California takes in 66.1 cents per gallon, while Exxon makes just 2 cents. Two. T-W-O. This is another example of bloated government and how it hurts everyone. We can help everyone, working-class families included, by scaling back the government so we can, in time, lower gas tax rates.

I'm sure if we eliminate the government and get rid of the gas tax then consumers will get the savings passed down to them just like how the airline industry passed the savings down to consumers when the FAA couldn't collect taxes due to the jerkoffs in Congress.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
The only place you will be guiding them is when you're both in line at the unemployment office begging for scraps. You are too dense to realize that all those vendors, contractors etc... are going to get cut too. You think Boeing survives on airplane orders from peasants like yourself? QUOTE]

You think General Dynamics is going to sell tanks to the state fair? Thats how stupid some of you are.[/

So you want the war machine to grow and prosper. You want others to die and suffer in the name of economics. You like killing women and children . Your the type who belongs in a flash mob .

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You, my liberal friend, should look beyond the pages of your favorite left-leaning publications and just look at our country. You had a dream come true in 2008: control of Congress and the White House. No good came of it and the Democrats suffered an historic defeat in 2010. Liberal policies continue to fail in places like California and our inner cities. We need to break from Dubya and Obama and make real change, not "hope and change".

I may lean liberal but I'm likely to vote for who I think will fix the country and I don't think the turd that we have now or the turd from Texas will fix it. I don't read the liberal sites nor conservative sites, I simply used a quick yahoo search to produce the articles.

As for your points, picking California might be extreme but point taken. I had thought about the idea that I would rather have jobs than none so in that respect, I guess some is better than none. However, until we get a group of people in power that want to get off this free trade bus and get on a fair trade bus, the bottom foundation will continue to be torn out and replaced with more and more minimum wage (or lower) jobs resulting in a generation falling, for the first time, behind the last one in terms of standard of living.

We don't need Obama...we don't need Perry....we don't need ANY of the turds we have in office now. We need a Ross Perot type group who will roll up their sleeves and get the foundation put back together again, period.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

No we can't. Our roads will be in even worse shape if we cut our gas tax. I work in road construction and believe me, you would kill a lot of contractors on that one and costs will be jacked up because business can't move their product around on shitty roads.

I don't buy that one for one minute that exxon is only making .02 profit per gallon. Who reported that ridiculous figure? Let me guess, Exxon. So when they make a $40 bil profit on gas, they are selling 2 trillion gallons of gas? That means each human on this earth consumes 300 gallons of gas from Exxon exclusively?? How much are they making off refining the product? I'm sure that isn't in there. So were they losing money when gas was $2.50 a gallon? Just find it hard to believe that article isn't some tea party cut taxes our government is wasteful bullshit.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Poor Exxon may be making only $0.02 per gallon but refineries are making up to $1.20 per gallon

At one point last week, the margins for wholesale gasoline sold in the Midwest were more than $1.20 a gallon, rivaling levels briefly seen after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Maybe the refineries could give the US citizens a break while they are at it. Looks like the refineries are the ones gouging. (Who owns the refineries? (serious question as I don't know)).

After we get the deficits down, we can cut the revenues even more. Until then, it's a downward spiral.

Last edited:

boochi

May 21, 2011
Earnings-by-Industry.png

The Oil companies are not raping us. We have raped ourselves. The last oil refinery bulit in the U.S. was in 1976, the year of my birth. Our population is nearly 50&#37; greater now. California charges .66 per gallon of gas in taxes while the oil companies make less than .06 per dollar in sales. Before you level blame on the oil companies you might want to look at the people who are really responisble for the high prices we pay for energy, the liberals who won't let us produce and refine here at home.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Earnings-by-Industry.png

The Oil companies are not raping us. We have raped ourselves. The last oil refinery bulit in the U.S. was in 1976, the year of my birth. Our population is nearly 50&#37; greater now. California charges .66 per gallon of gas in taxes while the oil companies make less than .06 per dollar in sales. Before you level blame on the oil companies you might want to look at the people who are really responisble for the high prices we pay for energy, the liberals who won't let us produce and refine here at home.

Yep...that's why we have been operating between 79 and 85% capacity...because we don't have enough capacity.

We're so under capacity that we're exporting 400,000+ barrels of refined gasoline per day out of this country.

Hell, we're also exporting between 600,000-800,000 barrels of refined diesel per day too.

Yep, we have a refinery capacity problem.

And for reference, we're exporting 2,600,000 barrels per day of crude/crude products. :hmm:

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The Oil companies are not raping us. We have raped ourselves. The last oil refinery bulit in the U.S. was in 1976, the year of my birth. Our population is nearly 50% greater now. California charges .66 per gallon of gas in taxes while the oil companies make less than .06 per dollar in sales. Before you level blame on the oil companies you might want to look at the people who are really responisble for the high prices we pay for energy, the liberals who won't let us produce and refine here at home.

You have been served as a total ignorance on this subject. (Thanks Engineer)

Did you learn anything? Or are you a total loss?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Me twooo! I haz extra clips just in casez.

This would be funny if it weren't so obvious and pathetic in the way these sad folks operate...

\so many "rightwingers" dream and need their self-fulfilling ideas to come to life.... Much like the "END OF TIME," folks...

\tha end is nigh..

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I may lean liberal but I'm likely to vote for who I think will fix the country and I don't think the turd that we have now or the turd from Texas will fix it. I don't read the liberal sites nor conservative sites, I simply used a quick yahoo search to produce the articles.

As for your points, picking California might be extreme but point taken. I had thought about the idea that I would rather have jobs than none so in that respect, I guess some is better than none. However, until we get a group of people in power that want to get off this free trade bus and get on a fair trade bus, the bottom foundation will continue to be torn out and replaced with more and more minimum wage (or lower) jobs resulting in a generation falling, for the first time, behind the last one in terms of standard of living.

We don't need Obama...we don't need Perry....we don't need ANY of the turds we have in office now. We need a Ross Perot type group who will roll up their sleeves and get the foundation put back together again, period.

Well this free trade bus was started by a criminal and I believe he commited treason myself . NIXON.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
This would be funny if it weren't so obvious and pathetic in the way these sad folks operate...

\so many "rightwingers" dream and need their self-fulfilling ideas to come to life.... Much like the "END OF TIME," folks...

\tha end is nigh..

Well some folks believe the End Of Time is a New beginning

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
48&#37; are right. Nothing good about riots, but that's what austerity has triggered all around the world, no reason to not expect it in the US.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Interesting. some 48% don't pay federal income tax either. Coincidence? I think not. Think for a moment what would happen if we cut food stamps and welfare just 5% across the board. Imagine if they really went after fraud in those programs as means to "cut".

Would the benefactors of those programs think "well, better eat my peas, this is my fair share" or not? Two sides to this coin, those receiving benefits know they'll riot/loot (hey! they did it everywhere else and imma gonna get mine!) and tax payers who are paying attention and also know they will and are preparing for it.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...48_think_spending_cuts_could_trigger_violence

Of course, riots will ensue by those who feel they are getting stiffed by not getting everything handed to them... I'm in California, I supposedly have a duty to retreat within my home, but if anything goes down, i'm with Spidey.......

the hard part is by cutting welfare and such, and offering no viable solution isn't easy right now. I mean you say "get a job" but there are no jobs to be had

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Sad thing is when they riot in America they usually end up destroying their own neighborhood and driving beneficial businesses away.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Considering we need to eat these spending cuts due to an inept Congress how could you blame them for rioting?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Earnings-by-Industry.png

The Oil companies are not raping us. We have raped ourselves. The last oil refinery bulit in the U.S. was in 1976, the year of my birth. Our population is nearly 50% greater now. California charges .66 per gallon of gas in taxes while the oil companies make less than .06 per dollar in sales. Before you level blame on the oil companies you might want to look at the people who are really responisble for the high prices we pay for energy, the liberals who won't let us produce and refine here at home.

Yeah oil companies are going to be on the soup line anytime now:eek:

http://www.businessinsider.com/oil-profits-exxon-2011-4

http://www.voanews.com/english/news...ness/Oil-Company-Profits-Surge-120870129.html

http://seekingalpha.com/article/267072-busting-the-myth-about-oil-company-profits

Jul 10, 2007
Businesses are hesitant to invest because they're drowning in a sea of regulation. Obamacare, Dodd-Frank, and Sarbanes-Oxley are enormous burdens. Will adding more red tape convince businesses to invest? No, it does exactly the opposite.

this is true.
it also keeps me employed.
:D

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The funny thing is that if you do the math and include all forms of taxes, not just income tax, then the poor (even the ones with a 0&#37; income tax) actually pay a higher income percentage as tax than any of the rich. Then you have people like Spidey and ProfJohn who want to live in an oligarchy.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The funny thing is that if you do the math and include all forms of taxes, not just income tax, then the poor (even the ones with a 0&#37; income tax) actually pay a higher income percentage as tax than any of the rich. Then you have people like Spidey and ProfJohn who want to live in an oligarchy.

I sincerely doubt it. I pay all the same taxes plus property tax and income tax. If they are truly poor then the necessities aren't taxed (food). So let's count all the free shit they get and count it as income (because I have to pay for all of that myself, but they don't) and then run your bullshit numbers. Include all welfare, food stamps, kids meals, free cars, free cell phones, free housing, free eletrical/gas, etc - count that as income, because that's what it is.