47C for a E7200 stock speeds and voltages

Jul 10, 2007
just put together this system:

MSI P43 Neo3-F
C2D E7200 w/stock HSF
Mushkin 2x2GB DDR2 PC2-6400
Antec Three Hundred Case (stock fans, top 140mm, rear 120mm)

@ stock speeds and voltages, temps are about 46-48C idle according to HWMonitor, with some light usage.
ambient room temp about 69-72F.

seems a bit high, was expecting low 40's C.
or is this about right?

think i can take it to 333 MHz FSB given this?

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
No, check your cooler and TIM, reseat and try again. Those temps are a bit high IMHO.

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Gillbot
No, check your cooler and TIM, reseat and try again. Those temps are a bit high IMHO.

Agree, there's something not right there.

You need to use Realtemp to monitor temps. If you're using Coretemp, it will report 10C higher.

But even then, it's still a little on the warm side. Mine idles at 39C, but it runs at 3.8Ghz.

34-35C idle would be more appropriate for a stock E7200.

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: mancunian

You need to use Realtemp to monitor temps. If you're using Coretemp, it will report 10C higher.

But even then, it's still a little on the warm side. Mine idles at 39C, but it runs at 3.8Ghz.

couple of questions.

1. what's TIM?
2. i'm using HWmonitor, and i think that reports the core temps, right? you're saying i should use Realtemp?

when i pressed the HSF tabs down onto the motherboard, i didn't use too much force in fear of snapping the mobo. i did look on the other side and the 4 tabs did go through, but perhaps not all the way.

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
couple of questions.

1. what's TIM?
2. i'm using HWmonitor, and i think that reports the core temps, right? you're saying i should use Realtemp?

when i pressed the HSF tabs down onto the motherboard, i didn't use too much force in fear of snapping the mobo. i did look on the other side and the 4 tabs did go through, but perhaps not all the way.

TIM = thermal interface material = the goo on the heatsink

If you're using HWmonitor then that's not as bad, that also reports 10C too much. So your real idle temp is 37C.

Yes, you should use Realtemp. I'd reseat your heatsink and if that doesn't help, maybe take a look at how effective your case cooling is.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002

couple of questions.

1. what's TIM?

On my E7200, I use AS5, A GemenII HS with 1 fan, and I use RealTemp ( better for 45nm chips ). I am and have been for 2 months sitting @ 3.6 and temps are at 47c. Never goes higher than 50c. Voltages are 1.2875 in bios. :)

Just some info to go by..

I would check your HS and reseat. Also, check how your TIM is applied...Hope you get the temps lower to get your Oc higher!

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Drsignguy

couple of questions.

1. what's TIM?

On my E7200, I use AS5, A GemenII HS with 1 fan, and I use RealTemp ( better for 45nm chips ). I am and have been for 2 months sitting @ 3.6 and temps are at 47c. Never goes higher than 50c. Voltages are 1.2875 in bios. :)

Just some info to go by..

I would check your HS and reseat. Also, check how your TIM is applied...Hope you get the temps lower to get your Oc higher!

I saw some thermal pad on the bottom of the retail HSF so i just left it alone and attached it to the cpu/mb.

i'll try to reseat the hsf with more force tonight.
it's just scary seeing the mb flex when i push down on the HSF tabs.

hope to not be posting a "my mb cracked when trying to install HSF" thread.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
So if it's idling at 37C isn't that fine? Albeit a bit high, my E4500 idles somewhere around 30C.

aiya24

Aug 24, 2005
mine idles @ 47c as well stock. i reseated my heatsink twice and temps still stayed the same. updated my boards bios too still didn't fix it.

Jul 10, 2007
OK so here's the deal.

CPUID Hardware Monitor:
Core 0: 47C
Core 1: 47C

Real Temp:
Core 0: 37C

SpeedFan:
Core 0: 42C
Core 1: 42C

Which do i trust???

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
OK so here's the deal.

CPUID Hardware Monitor:
Core 0: 47C
Core 1: 47C

Real Temp:

SpeedFan:
Core 0: 42C
Core 1: 42C

Which do i trust???

For a 45nm chip, Realtemp

So, with those temps, using realtemp, your ok

BTW, what is your Full load temps. Load temps are what you want to really watch.

Jul 10, 2007
max it hit was 50C according to RealTemp.
how is that?

edit: just hit 52C in source with all settings high, 4x AA and anisotropic filtering.

toadeater

Jul 16, 2007
Originally posted by: aiya24
mine idles @ 47c as well stock. i reseated my heatsink twice and temps still stayed the same. updated my boards bios too still didn't fix it.

What load temps are you getting? If you don't have equally high load temps, the heat sensor on the CPU may not be showing the correct idle temps.

Edit: if anyone cares, the next version of Everest is going to have accurate Wolfdale temps. I like Everest because it also shows voltages and fan speeds accurately on most boards, while Speedfan and some other utils do not.

aiya24

Aug 24, 2005
during OCCT it hits 67c, which from what i've seen is normal. ambients are 22-25c. i've already concluded that my chip's temp sensors are borked for reading idle temps.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004

With my Q6600, core temps says I idle at 43C , so if this is correct it's really 33C. However Speed fan also reports 43C.

I will hopefully back up this theory tonight when I try Realtemp tonight.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: clarkey01
With my Q6600, core temps says I idle at 43C , so if this is correct it's really 33C. However Speed fan also reports 43C.

Where'd you get a 45nm Q6600?:D I want one. Seriously, though, use CoreTemp for 65nm chips, and RealTemp for 45nm's.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
when i pressed the HSF tabs down onto the motherboard, i didn't use too much force in fear of snapping the mobo.

You shouldn't try to mount LGA775 heatsinks with the motherboard installed in the case. They should always be mounted with it removed, so you can put one hand behind the socket, while putting the required amount of force on each pin. It requires alot of force to completely seat the pins, especially on new boards.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Originally posted by: myocardia

Where'd you get a 45nm Q6600?:D I want one. Seriously, though, use CoreTemp for 65nm chips, and RealTemp for 45nm's.

I have not got a 45nm Q6600 :confused:

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002

I have not got a 45nm Q6600 :confused:

I am sure he was joking with you. He said that because of the statement above that is in bold. :)

Jul 10, 2007
when i pressed the HSF tabs down onto the motherboard, i didn't use too much force in fear of snapping the mobo.

You shouldn't try to mount LGA775 heatsinks with the motherboard installed in the case. They should always be mounted with it removed, so you can put one hand behind the socket, while putting the required amount of force on each pin. It requires alot of force to completely seat the pins, especially on new boards.

so everytime you change the cpu or hsf, u remove the mb from teh case?
what a pain.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Coretemp can be adjusted to accurately reflect temps on 45nm chips so there really is no difference between Coretemp and Realtemp. Just use what you prefer.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
For those using several temp monitors ;

I used speedfan, coretemps , ASUS's own & realtemps

Speedfan says at full load Im at 57C, idle 44C

Coretemps says full load 56C, idle 44C

ASUS's says 55C, idle 43C

RealTemps says 52C. 39 Idle.

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Coretemp can be adjusted to accurately reflect temps on 45nm chips so there really is no difference between Coretemp and Realtemp. Just use what you prefer.

True. You can edit a text file to achieve this.

I use Coretemp myself, but always prefer recommending Realtemp to others.

To the OP, it sounds to me like your temps are ok if it's hitting 50-52C at load.