4770k or 3930k

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
New build on the horizon.

Would you go for the 3930k? is 2011 socket going to be used for Haswell-e ? Does that mean one mobo will do for the next 2 CPU's?

Games seem to be using 6 cores now such as Crysis and BF3. So there seems to be some benefit to hexacores.

Or should i just go for Haswell 4770k?

This is going to be a gaming rig at 1900x1200 probably. maybe 1440p depending on my mood at the time :)

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
"Would you go for the 3930k?"

No, already have a 3770k in an ITX motherboard (no 2011 ITX boards)

"is 2011 socket going to be used for Haswell-e ?"

Nope, brand new socket.

I say get the 3770k now. There won't be a huge performance difference between it and Haswell, you can get a good deal on it from Microcenter, and in games it won't be your CPU limiting you.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
"Would you go for the 3930k?"

No, already have a 3770k in an ITX motherboard (no 2011 ITX boards)

"is 2011 socket going to be used for Haswell-e ?"

Nope, brand new socket.

I say get the 3770k now. There won't be a huge performance difference between it and Haswell, you can get a good deal on it from Microcenter, and in games it won't be your CPU limiting you.

I dont want a 3770k. Haswell is about to land on mature 22nm. Also we dont get very good deals in the UK on 3770k they are £280 which is $434.

Rumours are that haswell-e needs a new chipset too.. not good

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
"in the UK"

:eek: Oh god I'm sorry, nevermind.

If they didn't need to change from socket 1155 to 1150 for Haswell they wouldn't. That means they're going to need to change from 2011 to a new socket for Haswell-E.

Rumors suggest it will also have 2011 pins but be incompatible with current socket 2011 though rumors also suggest it will support DDR4.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
"in the UK"

:eek: Oh god I'm sorry, nevermind.

If they didn't need to change from socket 1155 to 1150 for Haswell they wouldn't. That means they're going to need to change from 2011 to a new socket for Haswell-E.

Rumors suggest it will also have 2011 pins but be incompatible with current socket 2011 though rumors also suggest it will support DDR4.

i read that the socket is the same but there is a new chipset. Also that Ivy-e is not coming out

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
If you really needed that many cores and were willing to spend 2011 money you could always go Xeon...

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The socket is different.

And IB-E is coming in september (28th I think.). 4960X, 4930K, 4820K.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
New build on the horizon.

Would you go for the 3930k? is 2011 socket going to be used for Haswell-e ? Does that mean one mobo will do for the next 2 CPU's?

Games seem to be using 6 cores now such as Crysis and BF3. So there seems to be some benefit to hexacores.

Or should i just go for Haswell 4770k?

This is going to be a gaming rig at 1900x1200 probably. maybe 1440p depending on my mood at the time :)

Yeah, more and more game engines will be capable of utilizing hexcore processors now; especially with the next generation of consoles on the horizon.

But with all of that said, I still wouldn't get a hexcore unless I was planning on a tri SLI setup.. A fast quadcore will still do the job nicely for single and dual card setups; whatever performance gain a hexcore would bring to the table can be somewhat bridged by overclocking the quadcore to kingdom come.

If these Haswells can hit 5ghz on air, or even close to it, you won't be needing a hexcore processor..

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, more and more game engines will be capable of utilizing hexcore processors now; especially with the next generation of consoles on the horizon.

But with all of that said, I still wouldn't get a hexcore unless I was planning on a tri SLI setup.. A fast quadcore will still do the job nicely for single and dual card setups; whatever performance gain a hexcore would bring to the table can be somewhat bridged by overclocking the quadcore to kingdom come.

If these Haswells can hit 5ghz on air, or even close to it, you won't be needing a hexcore processor..

Im planning on getting one of those watercooling setups. Closed loop double cooler system which seem very simple to use.

Since i play with headphones i dont worry about fan noise.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Another thing to consider will be AVX2 as well. It may not play a prominent role at launch, but over time, it's going to make a big difference as software becomes tuned for it.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Another thing to consider will be AVX2 as well. It may not play a prominent role at launch, but over time, it's going to make a big difference as software becomes tuned for it.

isnt that missing from 4770k

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you are considering high end processors then there are probably a few apps which you really need the performance. Since we're so close to the Haswell release date I'd wait and to see the actual Haswell performance of final silicon in the Anandtech review.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It will sure be a relief not to read the phrase "wait for Haswell" anymore. That's what excites me most about the impending launch.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I dont know why but it feels likt 4 cores isnt enough these days.

Thats the problem right there, one of the biggest stress factors out there is the unknown, thus you need to define your hand (poker terms), why is four cores not enough? Defining it, you will problary come to realize that 4 cores is more than enough for your needs.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Thats the problem right there, one of the biggest stress factors out there is the unknown, thus you need to define your hand (poker terms), why is four cores not enough? Defining it, you will problary come to realize that 4 cores is more than enough for your needs.

There are games with 6 core utilisation now.

Ps4 brings 8 threads...

And we all know HT doesnt really make up for 8 real cores.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The answer to this question depends obviously on what type of applications you run. Unless you're running multi threaded scientific applications the Haswell will likely be the better choice.

There really isn't a compelling reason, as a gamer, to get a SB-E or IB-E system. You can point to 1-2 games that benefit very slightly from it but overall, you're paying 800-1000$ more for roughly the same performance. (3930k + 400$ motherboard compared to current IB costs)

And then you may say well games will have multi threading in the future. When it happens, that may be a be relevant statement. So far there's crysis 3 and uh...that's about it - and even that is perhaps 3-4 fps faster in the best case. Most multi threaded games don't even benefit from hexa core vs quad core; in fact most of them don't. IB runs world of warcraft better than SB-e does.

Overall it depends on how much you value your budget, and how much you predict games to use hexa core in the future. At this time, hexa core isn't a compelling purchase for games, for the 1-2 games that do use it, they benefit very minimally. But hey, you can have bragging rights with an IB-E. Just think of how awesome your sig will be.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
There are games with 6 core utilisation now.

Ps4 brings 8 threads...

And we all know HT doesnt really make up for 8 real cores.

The PS3 was how many threads? The Xbox360 was how many threads?

Having 8 turtleslow cores means nothing when compared to the PC. Also all cores wont be used for gaming either, just as the OS have already reserved the first GB memory.

But but but...moar cores??!? And the more cores, the less benefit. Hence why fast cores is still the major dominant factor.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
The PS3 was how many threads? The Xbox360 was how many threads?

Having 8 turtleslow cores means nothing when compared to the PC. Also all cores wont be used for gaming either, just as the OS have already reserved the first GB memory.

But but but...moar cores??!?

Yes on console but PC games will scale up.

64 player on Ps4 becomes 128 player on PC. Planetside 2 already is a CPU hog for example.

They might be 8 slow cores on Ps4 but PC games are going to become better next year. Once games use 8 threads then its easy to scale them up and make them way more complex.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Does the installed base drive the development of more parallelism, or vice versa? It's a chicken-or-egg problem.