45% of Americans Do Not Contribute Any Federal Income Taxes...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
The top 1% of taxpayers pay a higher effective income-tax rate than any other group (around 23%, according to a report released by the Tax Policy Center in 2014) — nearly seven times higher than those in the bottom 50%.

the richest 20% of Americans, by far, pay the most in income taxes, forking over nearly 87% of all the income tax collected by Uncle Sam.

The top 1% of Americans, who have an average income of more than $2.1 million, pay 43.6% of all the federal individual income tax in the U.S.; the top 0.1% — just 115,000 households, whose average income is more than $9.4 million — pay more than 20% of it.

So for all those who go on about the wealthy not paying their fair share my question would be how much more do they have to contribute....when it hits the point that they pay 100% will that be sufficient?

No real issue for me as I am not there but figure the amount the richest 20% will continue to go up and up and eventually it would bring those on the edge out of being in that 20% demographic I'd figure.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So for all those who go on about the wealthy not paying their fair share my question would be how much more do they have to contribute....when it hits the point that they pay 100% will that be sufficient?

No real issue for me as I am not there but figure the amount the richest 20% will continue to go up and up and eventually it would bring those on the edge out of being in that 20% demographic I'd figure.

How about a sliding scale: the richest .1% pay whatever percentage is equivalent to the percentage of all wealth owned by there group,
For example, since the .1% own 90% of the wealth they pay 90% of the taxes. Those in the top 10% who own 75% of all the wealth can pay 75% of all taxes. The other 90% who have 10% of the wealth can pay 10% of the taxes (to be further broken down starting at the bottom 1% to the top.1% in 5 percentage point increments).

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
How about a sliding scale: the richest .1% pay whatever percentage is equivalent to the percentage of all wealth owned by there group,
For example, since the .1% own 90% of the wealth they pay 90% of the taxes. Those in the top 10% who own 75% of all the wealth can pay 75% of all taxes. The other 90% who have 10% of the wealth can pay 10% of the taxes (to be further broken down starting at the bottom 1% to the top.1% in 5 percentage point increments).

then the question is do you think those folks who would essentially be funding the entirety of government would either A. stick around or B. work to their interests, and if not the former then how does one protect against the latter which already occurs now.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

The filthy rich have tons of people on retainer to hide their money offshore so they do not have to pay taxes, or is the whole reason they have moved companies overseas to begin with.

It is just a freaking fact everyone knows about, that is just business as usual. Well, most people I guess.

Not really sure what your question is.

Trump will never fix that one, he's one of the guys that has profited from it over time.

He makes a lot of noise though.

Elect the Uber Rich guy, it will trickle down, trust me.

:sneaky:

Same crap in a different wrapper.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
In the OP's magical world, he can go out at lunch time and eat at McDonalds or any fast food place (during the school day when school kids wouldn't be available to work). He can go to Walmart and buy things. He can have all of the conveniences that are provided by companies that pay minimum wage. But, magically, all of those people will suddenly have enough of an income to actually be able to afford to pay 30% of it to Uncle Sam. Maybe the OP expects those people to work three 8 hour shifts per day so that they have enough income to contribute back to Uncle Sam. Never mind how many conveniences they provide him and the rest of society by working those minimum wage jobs.

Right, because the bottom 45% is paid minimum wage :rolleyes:

No one is asking for the lower class to pay 30%. Not 20%. Not even 10%. We simply expect the majority of the population to not be leech on society. Is that so much to ask? I can understand the bottom 5% that is trying to recover from stressful situations, but when 1-20% is leeching. 20-40% is leeching... all the while pointing the finger that others aren't paying enough taxes.... well, it gets to the point where it's just laughable that you honestly consider their retarded opinions.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You miss a lot. :)

-John

You post duds all the time, get over it.

I won't even say who told me this almost two years ago :p

"I've been enjoying your posts in the forum - it's a breath of fresh to have a member with a sense of humor and some wisdom to share. It makes me glad to see sane people are still on P&N after reading the loony nonsense of some members, that I won't name; Spidey, Zorkorist, Stewox, Anarchist420, boomerang, nehalem256, michal1980 and many more!"

I all ready knew it to begin with, but lets just say you've had a reputation for a very long time, dude.

Maybe you should work on that someday.

Last edited:

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
MongGrel,

Get over yourself. I don't give a shit about you any more, as you have demonstrated that all you want to do is attack, and not engage in the realm of ideas.

-John

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
The filthy rich have tons of people on retainer to hide their money offshore so they do not have to pay taxes, or is the whole reason they have moved companies overseas to begin with.

It is just a freaking fact everyone knows about, that is just business as usual. Well, most people I guess.

Not really sure what your question is.

Trump will never fix that one, he's one of the guys that has profited from it over time.

He makes a lot of noise though.

Elect the Uber Rich guy, it will trickle down, trust me.

:sneaky:

Same crap in a different wrapper.

I really don't get it....why inject Trump, where in my original question did I even mention his name?..

I took the numbers from the article, which are quoted above, and seem to show the well to do already paying a pretty considerable part into the tax system

My question was at what point will folks who go on about the wealthy not paying their fair share will be deemed "enough" or will it never...

And do folks feel that those earning that much will continue to stick around if they get taxed at that high of a rate, and will it negatively impact those on the cusp and knock them out of a tax bracket bringing them down.

I am not asking about presidential candidates or anything else...just the article, and peoples thoughts on what is a reasonable amount for the wealthy to pay towards taxes. If you mention him again note that I am not talking about that so not sure why it would come up.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I really don't get it....why inject Trump, where in my original question did I even mention his name?..

I took the numbers from the article, which are quoted above, and seem to show the well to do already paying a pretty considerable part into the tax system

My question was at what point will folks who go on about the wealthy not paying their fair share will be deemed "enough" or will it never...

And do folks feel that those earning that much will continue to stick around if they get taxed at that high of a rate, and will it negatively impact those on the cusp and knock them out of a tax bracket bringing them down.

I am not asking about presidential candidates or anything else...just the article, and peoples thoughts on what is a reasonable amount for the wealthy to pay towards taxes.

Because he is a dirty rich guy running for POTUS, that has made a lot of money in his lifetime dodging taxes and doing bankruptcy tricks.

Why would I not mention him as far as tax related things.

The fact Rick Scott has been mentioned as a running mate makes it even more pathetic.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
then the question is do you think those folks who would essentially be funding the entirety of government would either A. stick around or B. work to their interests, and if not the former then how does one protect against the latter which already occurs now.

A) Stick around? Who the fuck cares! Where are they going to go?

B) LOL! So you think the rich will decide to stop making money because instead of making millions they now make a million that that's no longer worth their effort? Please!

And btw, no one is proposing a high tax like 75% like France tried (which, btw, had little impact in terms of causing a mass exodus of rich people).

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Right, because the bottom 45% is paid minimum wage :rolleyes:

No one is asking for the lower class to pay 30%. Not 20%. Not even 10%. We simply expect the majority of the population to not be leech on society. Is that so much to ask? I can understand the bottom 5% that is trying to recover from stressful situations, but when 1-20% is leeching. 20-40% is leeching... all the while pointing the finger that others aren't paying enough taxes.... well, it gets to the point where it's just laughable that you honestly consider their retarded opinions.

The majority of people don't "leech" from the system or in your mind is 45% greater than 55%? Also as I have already posted in this thread (which everyone conveniently ignored), the majority of that 45% are people on social security or disabled. I'm sure you think those scumbags need to start paying more in taxes right?

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The majority of people don't "leech" from the system or in your mind is 45% greater than 55%? Also as I have already posted in this thread (which everyone conveniently ignored), the majority of that 45% are people in social security or disabled. I'm sure you think those scumbags need to start paying more in taxes right?

It probably wasn't ignored, more likely not commented on.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
It probably wasn't ignored, more likely not commented on.

Chances are, if it ain't commented on, it's at least regarded with contempt.

"Oh, there he goes again. Pfft." That sorta thing. I've been guilty of doing such, but I do try and rectify that when I realize it.

Sad, really. Rich guys hating on poor guys, with a lot of them being poor due to that which is out of their control. Par for the course, I suppose.

Would be good to have a source or two, though. Gives some ammunition to badger 'em with.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Those bottom 45% pay about 7.5% of all taxes paid in this nation but are only able to amass about 2% of all wealth. So of course that means those poor as dirt 45% don't pay enough taxes and those top 20% are struggling oh so hard to get by. Is the OP seriously this retarded? <goes back and checks who the OP is> Oh, sorry, I apologize. I know it's inappropriate to use the R-word for those with your condition. Is the OP this developmentally disabled?

Yes use of the R-word Repu...Repu...I can't say it either. It's too repugnant and insulting. But how is it inappropriate?

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
What the fuck does it matter who pays what, when the Federal Government spends indiscriminately into debt?

It seems to me like it is just an avenue for corruption, or extortion, when the Government can come and steal money from people to feed it's debt.

-John

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
You know, that even if you sucked all the life out of the Rich People, killed their productivity, killed their enthusiasm for life, that it would barely dent your mother fucking over whelming debt?

-John

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
I guess that's your plan. Fuck it up so much, that McDonald's workers are the same as College graduates. A race to the lowest common denominator.

-John

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Chances are, if it ain't commented on, it's at least regarded with contempt.

"Oh, there he goes again. Pfft." That sorta thing. I've been guilty of doing such, but I do try and rectify that when I realize it.

Not even sure if it is that sometimes, a lot of people will just casually pass over a good comment now and then and it will get lost in a lot of knee jerk reactions where people do not read older posts.

I just gets lost in the flood sometimes.

But I've had many of mine just get passed that way a lot.

Looks Zork is on a roll. He seems a bit miffed off.

Last edited: