$40k in Wisconsin budget for the homeless (to provide them voicemail, that is)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Story link

Buried inside the 1,000-page, $47 billion state budget is a small item that would provide the homeless with an unusual benefit: free voice mail.

The 2001-'03 budget now awaiting Gov. Scott McCallum's signature calls for spending $40,000 over the next two years to help set up voice mailboxes for the homeless.

Feb 24, 2001
what is the point of it? it seems like a stuipd idea but surely there is some reasoning behind it. anyways 40k is chumpchange when looking at state budgets. if there is actually some practical reason (which i certainly cant think of) then 40k isnt too much. but if it is just what it said, voicemail, not good.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Try getting a job or renting a place to live without a safe address where you can receive mail or a telephone number
where prospective employers and landlords can leave phone messages :(

A Voicemail box that's been provide by the state can at least help to ensure that a person who's really down on their luck
can at least get these important messages and not have to rely on family/friends who may forget or not be reliable.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
the first thing i thought of was so that they can leave a phone number for potential employers to call back. it's always good for the homeless to get jobs..

AaronP

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
I wonder what the voicemail message would be:

&quot;Welcome to the homeless bum voicemail system, who would you like to leave a message for?

Press 1 for drunken Dave.
Press 2 for strung out Mack
Press 3 for garbage eating Charlie
Press 4 for sex crime Joe
Press 5 for terrets syndrome Terry

To leave the voice mail system and never return, press 0. Thank you.&quot;

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000

<< I wonder what the voicemail message would be:

&quot;Welcome to the homeless bum voicemail system, who would you like to leave a message for?

>>

lol

Feb 24, 2001

<< Try getting a job or renting a place to live without a safe address where you can receive mail or a telephone number
where prospective employers and landlords can leave phone messages :(

A Voicemail box that's been provide by the state can at least help to ensure that a person who's really down on their luck
can at least get these important messages and not have to rely on family/friends who may forget or not be reliable.
>>

excellent, feel bad i didnt realize that before. for 40k, i hope it passes.

huanaku

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Try getting a job or renting a place to live without a safe address where you can receive mail or a telephone number where prospective employers and landlords can leave phone messages
A Voicemail box that's been provide by the state can at least help to ensure that a person who's really down on their luck can at least get these important messages and not have to rely on family/friends who may forget or not be reliable.

Good point, I still don't know how I feel about it though. It would be hard for me to agree to my tax money going towards something like that when it could be put towards education or even a food shelter ... But, you do have a good point. How many will use it for a job though?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Hey, look on the bright side. We can leave them all &quot;Get a damn job!&quot; voice-mails!

Viper GTS

EppyThatcher

Apr 8, 2001
I suppose this is where I should stick up for wisconsin not making an idiot move like that since I live in wisconsin...but I really cant, who cares if they can eat, or sleep give them voicemail.
Lets re-elect everyone who decided on this one.

Infos

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Eppy

I hope for your sake you are never out on the street :Q :eek:
Many N. Americans supposedly
are only a few pay checks from being homeless
With the American health care system :disgust:
many also are one accident or illness from being homeless as well :frown:

This sounds like an excellent use of govt resources
I guess the expression don't judge anyone till you've walked
a mile in their shoes doesn't appeal to you naysayers.

:D:

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< I wonder what the voicemail message would be:

>>

hahahaha

<< That doesn't seem like a bad idea... >>

It is a terrible idea.