40% of Youth to Vote Romney

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Maybe they figured out that at some point they will need a job.

Let's hope they speak Mandarin or Hindi then...

Long flight, lots of time to ponder where all those "job creator" tax breaks went and to what end...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Reagan also had a Democrat Congress that was willing to work with him instead of a GOP group that is statistically the most obstructionist in U.S. history. Notice that the stimulus has been credited with us going from bleeding jobs at a rate of 700k a month to 29 straight months of jobs added. If there'd been more than an approximately 2 month period with a super majority, we'd be at 5% unemployment. Anyone with an IQ greater than their age can see the GOP has completely prevented fixing the problem.

The historic elections of 2010 were to do just that. Republicans ran on a platform of stopping this disastrous failed presidency from wreaking further havoc on our nation and economy and they did just that.

Surprise, surprise, you start stopping Obama and things try to improve. Obama is still the biggest obstacle to getting the country back on track, and he'll be fired come November. There is still hope for this country, as long as Obama is removed.

Face it. Obama is toxic to anybody's campaign. Democrats want him nowhere near their campaigns, same as back in 2010. Americans are HIGHLY motivated to rid this country of it's #1 disease - Obama.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
The historic elections of 2010 were to do just that. Republicans ran on a platform of stopping this disastrous failed presidency from wreaking further havoc on our nation and economy and they did just that.

Surprise, surprise, you start stopping Obama and things try to improve. Obama is still the biggest obstacle to getting the country back on track, and he'll be fired come November. There is still hope for this country, as long as Obama is removed.

Face it. Obama is toxic to anybody's campaign. Democrats want him nowhere near their campaigns, same as back in 2010. Americans are HIGHLY motivated to rid this country of it's #1 disease - Obama.

Rick Perry is the cure! NOBAMA! Perry is.... what, he dropped out?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
obama is just as bad as romney

Worse, Obama has already proven he cannot fix the economy.

That would be sound logic if the economy operated as a dichotomy.

Obama promised us that he would fix the economy. HE had all the info needed at the time on how bad it was.

Obama also promised that he would reduce the deficit. He had all the info at the time on where things were going.

Obama also stated that he did not deserve a second term if he did not reduce the deficit.

He seems to know what can be done, what needs to be done and will not do it.

Keep on the same path with the same result.

I think there is some saying about that.:\

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If anyone thinks Romney will get 40% of the young vote, they are on drugs. Young people far and away are staunch liberals. Thats everywhere too.

Young people also need jobs; which is more important, ideals or a paycheck.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I believe it because I know for a fact that most of my fellow alumni at our alma mater supported Obama in 08, and then 2 years later they started to dislike him. The president deceived a lot of people when he ran in 08 because they didn't bother to look at his anti civil liberties pro imperialist voting record and because they didn't think critically about his speech on why he would not have voted for the Iraq war if he had been in the u.s. senate in 2002. However, I did and I knew about and supported dr. Paul since early 07, so it was no difficulty for me to write obama off from the beginning.

All of that said, the one and only thing Rombama can run on now is the economy because most people think still think they're different on that even though they're really one and the same.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Reagan also had a Democrat Congress that was willing to work with him instead of a GOP group that is statistically the most obstructionist in U.S. history. Notice that the stimulus has been credited with us going from bleeding jobs at a rate of 700k a month to 29 straight months of jobs added. If there'd been more than an approximately 2 month period with a super majority, we'd be at 5% unemployment. Anyone with an IQ greater than their age can see the GOP has completely prevented fixing the problem.

I was almost going to agree with you and even bring up the Republicans working with Clinton in the 90's till you showed your usual partisan hack. Do I really need to bring up the Democrats almost shutting down the Government over a measly $33 Billion?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

64bb8_jobs-infographic3-070612.top.jpg

Did you mean 19 months?

Of course if I was a Republican I would point out the correlation between jobs being added and Republicans winning back control of the House.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
It does look like the Obama propaganda machine is going into overtime to put some positive spin out. They certainly need it. Unfortunately, their numbers don't add up to quite what they are trying to get people to believe.

President Obama’s imaginary recovery

August 23, 2012 | 7:56 am

It is not easy being the deputy campaign manager for a president seeking reelection with an economic record as terrible as President Obama’s. So really, Stephanie Cutter should be forgiven for the alternative reality she has created in order to defend her boss. Asked yesterday by MSNBC’s Willie Geist what she would tell someone who said about Obama, “Well, that hasn’t worked for four years, it’s time for a change,” Cutter responded:

Well, I think that worker probably has a good understanding of what’s happened over the past four years in terms of the president coming in and seeing 800,000 jobs lost on the day that the president was being sworn in, and seeing the president moving pretty quickly to stem the losses, to turn the economy around, and over the past, you know, 27 months we’ve created 4.5 million private sector jobs. That’s more jobs than in the Bush recovery, than in the Reagan recovery.

Oh Stephanie, you do tell such wonderful lies.

When President Reagan was sworn into office, there were 74.6 million private sector jobs in the U.S. economy. At the nadir of that recession, employment fell to just 72.7 million jobs. By August 1984 the economy supported 78.8 million private sector jobs. So from the depths of the recession, to an identical place in Reagan’s term, the Reagan recovery created 6.1 million jobs. Alternatively, from inauguration to August ’84, the Reagan recovery had created 4.2 million private sector jobs.

When Obama was sworn into office, there were 111 million private sector jobs. At the bottom of this recession, private employment fell to 106.7 million. Today, the U.S. economy supports 111.3 million jobs. So, from bottom to top, the Reagan recovery created 6.1 million private sector jobs while the Obama recovery has only created 4.5 million jobs. And from inauguration to August of reelection, Reagan created 4.2 million private sector jobs to Obama’s 312,000.

The total jobs numbers are even worse for Obama. When he was sworn into office, the U.S. economy supported 133.5 million jobs overall. Today, it only supports 133.2 million. That’s right: Obama is still a net job destroyer. You can see why Cutter has to make things up.

Campaigning in Roanoke, Virginia, yesterday, Paul Ryan said, “Obama said last summer was going to be the summer of recovery. It’s a summer later and it’s still worse. He said that the private sector is doing just fine, we need more government. This is President Obama’s imaginary recovery. It’s not here.”

Apparently Cutter’s delusions come from the top.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Who was it that said .....

&#8220;I promise 100% transparency in my administration.&#8221;.
&#8220;I will allow 5 days of public comment before I sign any bills.&#8221;.
&#8220;I will remove earmarks from PORK projects before I sign any bill.&#8221;.
&#8220;I will end Income Tax for seniors making less than $50K a year.&#8221;.
&#8220;I will bring ALL of our troops home within ONE year.&#8221;
&#8220;I&#8217;ll put the Health Care negotiations on CSPAN so everyone can see who is at the table!&#8221;.
&#8220;I&#8217;ll have no lobbyists in my administration.&#8221;
&#8220;I&#8217;ll close Guantanamo.&#8221;
&#8220;I&#8217;ll resign if I don&#8217;t cut the deficit in half by the end of four years.&#8221;
&#8220;I&#8217;ll unite the people of this great country.&#8221;

A little help please ....

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Looks like this poll validates that younger voter turnout might be equal to or in excess of the turnout in 2008.

The real question is, if the turnout is going to be due to anger at the economic conditions they are facing, who is going to be blamed? And who will be seen as representing the best chance for a turnaround?

Poll: Angry with economy, youth vote to jump 50%

August 23, 2012 | 12:36 pm

Younger voters, angry with the lack of jobs and a stalled economy that's cut their entertainment budget and forced many to live with mom and dad, are expected to flock to the polls in even greater numbers than 2008 when President Obama's inspirational message of hope and change drew millions to the polls.

While 51 percent of Millennials age 18-29 voted in the 2008 election, 76 percent plan to vote this fall, according to a new poll from the influential group Generation Opportunity, a 50 percent jump.

While the group did not ask who younger voters prefer in the presidential race, they are inspired no more and are clearly driven by anger over the economy and the fact that they might not have lives as good as their parents. The poll of 1,003 adults aged 18-29 was conducted at the end of July. It has an error margin of plus-or-minus 3.1 percent.

For example, 89 percent said the economy is impacting their lives: 51 percent said their entertainment budget has been hit, 40 percent skipped a vacation and 26 percent have had to change their living situation like take in roommates or move back home.

Some 84 percent said they are planning a major life change because of the economy, including delaying marriage and buying a home. And 76 percent said that the lack of job opportunities is shrinking the middle class.

"These numbers should put elected leaders on notice. What you see is a very pointed story of the impact the failed policies coming out of the White House over the course of the last three years are having on the daily lives and the long-term plans of young Americans. Frankly, it is not a pretty picture," said Paul T. Conway, president of Generation Opportunity. "It is no surprise that they plan to make their voices heard this November."

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I'll make a deal with you PJABBER:

If the exit polling/after pollling shows 'the Youth' voting for Romney at any % over 25%, I won't post in P&N for a month. If it's 25% or under, you do the same.

Deal?

Chuck

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Who was it that said .....

“I promise 100% transparency in my administration.”.
“I will allow 5 days of public comment before I sign any bills.”.
“I will remove earmarks from PORK projects before I sign any bill.”.
“I will end Income Tax for seniors making less than $50K a year.”.
“I will bring ALL of our troops home within ONE year.”
“I’ll put the Health Care negotiations on CSPAN so everyone can see who is at the table!”.
“I’ll have no lobbyists in my administration.”
“I’ll close Guantanamo.”
“I’ll resign if I don’t cut the deficit in half by the end of four years.”
“I’ll unite the people of this great country.”

A little help please ....

and what false war for oil did he start?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'll make a deal with you PJABBER:

If the exit polling/after pollling shows 'the Youth' voting for Romney at any % over 25%, I won't post in P&N for a month. If it's 25% or under, you do the same.

Deal?

Chuck

LOL, I certainly don't mind you posting, so a bet to take a vacation doesn't have any appeal to me at all!

FWIW, while I am probably going to stick around DC for a while for family and business reasons, I might still opt to go back to Europe for a few months and you won't hear from me in that case, no bet needed!

Right now I am working a schedule over 10 time zones, so you might not see me posting as much as I have done for the past couple of weeks anyway.

If the election goes Romney/Ryan I might like to get personally involved in the ensuing turnaround of the federal government. I have been involved in international development and economic development before, so there might be a call to apply this expertise.

Wouldn't that be a kicker? :awe:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Ok, my point really was, there is no way Romney is going to get 40% of the youth vote. Youth of today has a White Guilter complex shoved on them, along with being the traditional Bleeding Heart that most Youth has. Add on Obama pandering to students and representing the Dem party that never saw a handout they didn't like - which the Youth love, as it's "free" - and you've got 'the Youth' voting Dem like blacks vote Dem, and with almost as much conviction.

I just don't see any possible way Reps are going to get anything close to 40%.

Chuck

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL, I certainly don't mind you posting, so a bet to take a vacation doesn't have any appeal to me at all!

FWIW, while I am probably going to stick around DC for a while for family and business reasons, I might still opt to go back to Europe for a few months and you won't hear from me in that case, no bet needed!

Right now I am working a schedule over 10 time zones, so you might not see me posting as much as I have done for the past couple of weeks anyway.

If the election goes Romney/Ryan I might like to get personally involved in the ensuing turnaround of the federal government. I have been involved in international development and economic development before, so there might be a call to apply this expertise.

Wouldn't that be a kicker? :awe:

good luck with your international development community being as willing to work with Mitt vs Obama.

;)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Ok, my point really was, there is no way Romney is going to get 40% of the youth vote. Youth of today has a White Guilter complex shoved on them, along with being the traditional Bleeding Heart that most Youth has. Add on Obama pandering to students and representing the Dem party that never saw a handout they didn't like - which the Youth love, as it's "free" - and you've got 'the Youth' voting Dem like blacks vote Dem, and with almost as much conviction.

I just don't see any possible way Reps are going to get anything close to 40%.

Chuck

Some people call it enlightenment.