40.72's in Windows 98

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Well I've spent the last 2 days trying to get the newest 40.72's (11/11/02) to work in Win 98 (FE), to no avail. When the monitor is awakened after stby from playing games, the screen is garbled with a mess of lines. I've tried the refresh fixxes and couldn't get them to work. Apparently the 40.72's have their own refresh utility and it wasn't playing nice with my system. I switched back to the 30.82's and all is well again. Thought I'd post in case someone else was having the same problem. Mostly happens when UT or Qwas last played. Rig is in my profile.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Yah I abandoned trying to dual-boot from Win98SE for this reason. Whatever improvements there were in games was lost from not being able to find decent driver updates :(

Chiz

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Yea- I'm getting there (XP). My promo CD hasn't arrived yet. Why would I have a problem dual booting if the OS'es were on different hdd's?? ie... my 98 setup is already set- just unplug it- install XP on another hdd with it's own registry entries and drivers- then plug in the 98 hdd when I'm done with XP install. Maybe my definition of dual boot isn't quite the same as everyone elses?? I'd have the option to boot off either hdd via the bios- HDD-0, HDD1 etc...

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
the beta version worked fine in Win98SE, but thanks for the tip - i got the new ones just in case i bother installing the vhql's

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: JustStarting
Yea- I'm getting there (XP). My promo CD hasn't arrived yet. Why would I have a problem dual booting if the OS'es were on different hdd's?? ie... my 98 setup is already set- just unplug it- install XP on another hdd with it's own registry entries and drivers- then plug in the 98 hdd when I'm done with XP install. Maybe my definition of dual boot isn't quite the same as everyone elses?? I'd have the option to boot off either hdd via the bios- HDD-0, HDD1 etc...

Actually its easier with M$'s NT based OSes starting with Win2k. It gives you the option after POSTing which OS you want to boot from. They can be on the same HDD or whatever. Pretty sure this is the same with WinXP, but I'm waiting on my copy of XP as well :) I would probably fresh install like you were planning to do on a formatted HDD for WinXP. Then install 98SE again or boot from Win98 on your 2nd HDD. But again, I have Win98SE installed, yet I haven't booted into it in about a year b/c of the lack of driver support it gets nowadays. Worse thing is, looking for 2 sets of driver updates sucks.

Chiz