(4) R9 290s and the PSU Needed to Run Them

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
"I'll let you guess as to why". It's insane how many people are mining now lol

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Hard or impossible? This setup is basically going to be in a shed outside and its winter time (at least at winter time as it gets in Los Angeles.

They won't be impossible to cool but it will be LOUD.

What are the ambient temps usually this time of year in LA?

imported_Roman

Jul 21, 2004
They won't be impossible to cool but it will be LOUD.

What are the ambient temps usually this time of year in LA?

Like I said, it will be in a shed out back, noise not really an issue (well maybe for the dog I guess).

Ambient temps are anywhere from a high of 65 to 85 to a low of 30 to 50. So at it's coldest MAYBE get in the upper twenties and at its warmest, you can get in to 85.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
THIS is the same PSU as the Enermax for less money. You are on the right track though. In that size category of PSU Enermax is the best brand to buy.

As far as cooling them goes, do away with the standard fan profile and just set the fans to run @ a constant speed. The way AMD's boost works is it lets the GPU get to max operating temp and then ramps up the fan speed and/or reduces clocks to keep the temp steady @ 94°C. If you simply set the fans to a steady speed they will run cooler. Try ~60% at first and see where that gets you. If that doesn't keep temps down then increase the speeds. 60% though will cool better than the stock settings. You could just set the fans @ max speed, but that will put unnecessary strain on them if you don't require them to run flat out. Which I really doubt you will. Since you are just running the rig in a shed, open bench?, you could also add a cheap table fan blowing on the setup.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
at 85F the cards will either severely throttle or out right crash

The test by *Legit Reviews a lot of people are referencing ran their benches @33°C ~90°F (They reported that the case actually got up to 45°C ~113°F) with the cards set on quiet mode. They did throttle, but didn't crash. I think the OP will be fine in the ambient temps he's suggesting. Not in quiet mode like the numpties @ Legit Review did, obviously. ;)

*If anyone hasn't read the review I linked it above. If you read it, read the entire review though, not just the charts as they are very misleading IMO and don't tell the whole story.

Edit: Sorry, OP. I forgot you are running 290's(nonX). They have a capped fan speed of ~50%. Forget the uber/quiet mode operation I was referencing. Do set your own fan speeds as I've suggested though. 4 of them crammed in on a single board will throttle @ stock settings. You should be fine though if you set your own fan speeds though.

Last edited:

imported_Roman

Jul 21, 2004
The test by *Legit Reviews a lot of people are referencing ran their benches @33°C ~90°F (They reported that the case actually got up to 45°C ~113°F) with the cards set on quiet mode. They did throttle, but didn't crash. I think the OP will be fine in the ambient temps he's suggesting. Not in quiet mode like the numpties @ Legit Review did, obviously. ;)

*If anyone hasn't read the review I linked it above. If you read it, read the entire review though, not just the charts as they are very misleading IMO and don't tell the whole story.

Edit: Sorry, OP. I forgot you are running 290's(nonX). They have a capped fan speed of ~50%. Forget the uber/quiet mode operation I was referencing. Do set your own fan speeds as I've suggested though. 4 of them crammed in on a single board will throttle @ stock settings. You should be fine though if you set your own fan speeds though.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the feedback!