4 pin processor fans?

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
My stock cooler for the celeron d, which I'm using until my conroe comes in, has a weird 4 pin connector I hadn't seen previously. When my conroe comes in I'm planning on using a different cooler than the stock that uses a 120mm fan. Are there any 120mm fans with this connection? If I don't use such a fan what should I plug the 3 or 4 (the normal kind) pin connector to?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm confused. There's the regular 4-pin molex connector that CD-ROMs, hard drives, and some fans use, which you plug into the PSU, and then there's the 3-pin plug that other fans use that plug into the motherboard.

What's this weird 4-pin connector you're talking about?

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
The 4-pin fan connector is the Intel PWM fan header. See Text.

Put the 3-pin connector onto the 4-pin fan headers on the motherboard. The little plastic tab sticking up from the 4-pin header will fit between the two plastic rails on the 3-pin plug, as if you were still putting it on a 3-pin header.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
fans with the 4-pin connector will work on three pin fan headers and vice-versa. You just lose the more advanced fan speed control function. Very few aftermarked HSFs come with the 4-pin fans yet and that type of fan is considerably more expensive than the standard three pin fans, so be prepared to pay a premium for HSFs that have such a fan.

.bh.