4-Digit Phone Numbers???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ZOOYUKA, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ZOOYUKA

ZOOYUKA Platinum Member

My wife keeps getting random calls from four digit number. There is usually an Indian on the other line trying to sell her something. When she asks why they are calling her they quickly hang up.

Anyone experience anything like this?

2. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

I've had this happen to me a couple of times. I've never answered the phone call and they didn't leave a message.

3. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

4. SlitheryDee

SlitheryDee Lifer

I've never seen a 4 digit phone number. I do get a lot of sales calls though. Sometimes I'll turn it around and try to sell them something.

"No but I have a Slightly used parakeet for sale. Feathers only moderately ruffled. Clean as a whistle. One previous owner. Hello?"

5. Printer Bandit

6. ZOOYUKA

ZOOYUKA Platinum Member

That's must be it. They guy didn't ask for any personal info, but was trying to get her to go to a warehouse sale of some sort.

7. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Because they don't care. There's no teeth in that law, so the telemarketers ignore it when they choose. If they spoof the phone number, there's about 0 chance they'll ever get caught.

8. Minerva

Minerva Platinum Member

I hear of more complaints of people on the list than aren't. If you put your name on that list you scream that you don't want to be called and you have a good number to call. Exactly what the scamming fucks want and will pay for stolen copies of that list.

It's no different than email. Don't put that shit out there and you won't have a fucking problem. Sure the random lottery robocallers may ping your number. Get a reject list app or use android's built in if you have an android phone.

Too bad there's not a way to rip off someone's head and shit down their neck, through the phone. Fuckers like this truly deserve it.

9. FoBoT

FoBoT Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

why do people answer the phone when unknown is calling them, not me

10. SlitheryDee

SlitheryDee Lifer

The only reason I do is because I've seen other people do it. I just figure that's what people are supposed to do. If you're scared of your phone, something's wrong.

Honestly, I don't always answer it though. Other people will absolutely always answer their phone every time it rings no matter what. I don't understand that either. Your phone is there for your use, it's not something that you are obligated to answer for anyone elses purposes. If not then why would someone saddle themselves with such a burden as a phone?

11. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If it's important, they can leave a message. Curiously(or not) I get few messages :^D

12. jagec

jagec Lifer

In my experience women tend not to answer the phone if they don't recognize the number, but men do. Also, men tend not to leave messages if they don't absolutely have to.

13. theprodigalrebel

I tend to answer those calls because it's usually someone (typically family and friends living abroad) calling using some VoIP service.

14. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

I get spoofed calls all the time. I just don't answer unless I recognize the number. If it's important, someone will leave a message. I sometimes wonder why I even have a home phone. A good 95% of the calls we get on it are telemarketers, and that's being conservative.

15. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

Gmail calling or Skype call

16. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

I turned off the ringer on my home phone just for that reason. If you want to get a hold of me, call my cell phone.

17. Demo24

Demo24 Diamond Member

I'm more inclined to answer my cell phone with unrecognized callers than home as its sometimes work/other related. On the positive my phone tells me what area the call comes from so its easier to screen.