4,1Ghz wall? Help with OC

Labze

Sep 2, 2010
Hello

I've recently got a watercooling system installed, and really hoped for a quite higher boost than with my air cooler, but so far i can't seem to get my I7-870 over 4,15Ghz. Now, my chip is about a year old so i don't know if that might have ruined its overclock capability by some, or if i'm just going about it all wrong. Looking around different forum posts i see people managed to get this chip running at 4,4Ghz with 1.35-1.4Vcore.

Right now i've set my Vcore to 1.4 and IMC to 1.35 and DRAM to 1.6 however even with these voltages and a modest 4.1Ghz overclock my CPU fails to be stable in IntelBurnTest, while it doesn't quite Bsod raising it another small notch makes it happen.

I've tried with both high multiplier and high BCLK (20x205-7) and multi by 21-22-24 and with a lower bclk of course, but none seems to be able to take it much higher than 4.15Ghz

I'm using an Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard

Any advice would be much appreciated

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You say people manged to get "this chip" running at 4.4Ghz, but the thing is, they didn't. They got the same model chip running that fast, not your chip.

They got lucky. When dealing with things as small as these chips are, there are always differences in chips, even ones on the same wafer, or even ones side-by-side in manufacturing. It's just the way it goes.

The people getting 4.4Ghz may have gotten lucky, or may have different motherboards, cleaner power, etc. There are tons of variables. You can never buy a chip and know what you can OC it to until you try it.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Your expectations are out of whack. The socket 1156 quads were more likely to hit around 4.0GHz than 4.4GHz. 4.4GHz quads are socket 1155 realm. Now, socket 1156 dual cores probably saw 4.4Ghz a lot more often than the quads.