jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Lots of other violence in Iraq over the last few days as well. Upwards of 57 killed in Easter Day violence.

Almost all of the violence is sectarian/insurgent related, despite how often the Bush administration mentions al-Qaeda in the same breath as the war in Iraq.

Watch McCain's poll numbers drop as the media en masse begins covering death tolls, war financing, and continued violence to mark this "milestone".

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Hmmm, Maybe if they make it to 5000 we could give a prize out to the lucky winner. Sheesh, Yeah I know it's sick but it's very sad....

Can't help think how stupid this really is. Anyone that supports this war is a fool...

How many more need to die before we say enough is enough? Come on people wake up... It's a crying shame we lost even 1 person...

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I don't understand the morbid fascination with these numbers. I mean, what does this make victim number 1 'less' bad? What about #2341, or #3716?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Why is 4000 any more an important number than 3211 or 4043? Or more important than the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives that have been also pissed away as a monument to stupidity?

But cheer up, each and every American famdamily will receive a neatly folded American flag in exchange for a formerly living person. We are indeed fortunate, Iraqis get no such flag and are in fact fortunate to have their loved ones even counted in the butchers bill.

There is always some comfort in math, add one to what you have and you get N+1. And so it goes. Until we have the collective brains to say too many or run out of flags.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
THe only thing that keeps soldiers in Iraq is other soldiers. This war is a farce or moneymaker...depending on your view.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
the grunts, the marines, the sailors, the airmen/women. they walk away from the ME TO with memories and nightmares, wounds that won't heal and maimings - both physical and mental.

the friends of bush and cheney in the ME TO walk away with all the riches they could ever ask for, laughing and patting each other on their backs, hooting and hollering at the "killing" they are making over there. life's good.....no...life's grrreat!

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
well, when your start putting names on these numbers.... Then realize that ... Most of the names have Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers, Maybe even a Wife.... Or worse yet... Kids... Then start adding up all the people that person knew... Maybe for each of these numbers realize that probably anywhere between 5-40 on average are effected by each number... So estimate 25... That's 100 Thousand people effected where are their numbers????????????

Is it starting to sink in on the toll this is putting on this country? That's the ones that died... now take the 40K that are injured and the 200K that come back screwed up mentally....

Was it worth it???????

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
rose.gif

:(

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
well, when your start putting names on these numbers.... Then realize that ... Most of the names have Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers, Maybe even a Wife.... Or worse yet... Kids... Then start adding up all the people that person knew... Maybe for each of these numbers realize that probably anywhere between 5-40 on average are effected by each number... So estimate 25... That's 100 Thousand people effected where are their numbers????????????

Is it starting to sink in on the toll this is putting on this country? That's the ones that died... now take the 40K that are injured and the 200K that come back screwed up mentally....

Was it worth it???????

Thats a bit of a stretch. You are saying that on average 25 people are "screwed up mentally" because someone they knew or were close to died?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Corbett

Was it worth it???????
Thats a bit of a stretch. You are saying that on average 25 people are "screwed up mentally" because someone they knew or were close to died?
You fail at Reading Comprehension.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Interesting coincidence that it falls on the day of the supposed rebirth of a failed messenger of peace.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I feel safer, personally.

Thank God we have an administration who has killed 1.5 times more Americans than those who died on 9/11.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
People keep enlisting.

Strange isnt it?

Surely there is other news worth reporting in Iraq than American Deaths.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: piasabird
People keep enlisting.

Strange isnt it?

People dying, nothing to see here, right?

Perhaps people are enlisting because they feel bad and want to help our forces out in this cluster-fuck of a "mission"?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: piasabird
People keep enlisting.

Strange isnt it?

Like the new ice cream parlor that opened? Yeah, that was worth it:roll:

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Why is 4000 any more an important number than 3211 or 4043? Or more important than the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives that have been also pissed away as a monument to stupidity?

But cheer up, each and every American famdamily will receive a neatly folded American flag in exchange for a formerly living person. We are indeed fortunate, Iraqis get no such flag and are in fact fortunate to have their loved ones even counted in the butchers bill.

There is always some comfort in math, add one to what you have and you get N+1. And so it goes. Until we have the collective brains to say too many or run out of flags.

Because more soldiers are dying, IT NEEDS TO STOP.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Was it worth it???????
since numbers go in and out of fashion around here, based on their convenience, I figured I'd add a few myself...

Less than 1% of this nation has been directly impacted by our war casualties in Iraq (Servicemen/women, and their immediate friends and families). The other 99.1% have merely been annoyed by the ugly images on TV, our ever-increasing national debt, and slightly higher gasoline prices at the pump -- all of which are indirect effects.

Just an FYI.

Isaiah

May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: palehorse74
since numbers go in and out of fashion around here, based on their convenience, I figured I'd add a few myself...

Less than 1% of this nation has been directly impacted by our war casualties in Iraq (Servicemen/women, and their immediate friends and families). The other 99.1% have merely been annoyed by the ugly images on TV, our ever-increasing national debt, and slightly higher gasoline prices at the pump -- all of which are indirect effects.

Just an FYI.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with those numbers. I don't think most people are just merely annoyed because 4000 of their friends, brothers, sisters, children, mothers or fathers have been killed. Were you just merely annoyed when terrorists attacked us on 9/11?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A new benchmark for George W. Bush, a LYING, MURDERING, TORTURING TRAITOR. He and his entire adminstration should be tried and convicted for their crimes and sentenced to spend the rest of their ugly, useless lives in a dark, dank cell at Guantanamo.
rose.gif
rose.gif

Isaiah

May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
A new benchmark for George W. Bush, a LYING, MURDERING, TORTURING TRAITOR. He and his entire adminstration should be tried and convicted for their crimes and sentenced to spend the rest of their ugly, useless lives in a dark, dank cell at Guantanamo.
rose.gif
rose.gif

:thumbsup: It's to bad more people don't feel this way, or we would have been able to stop this pointless war before so many people were killed.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Isaiah
Originally posted by: palehorse74

Just an FYI.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with those numbers. I don't think most people are just merely annoyed because 4000 of their friends, brothers, sisters, children, mothers or fathers have been killed. Were you just merely annoyed when terrorists attacked us on 9/11?
my point was that more than 99% of this nation are not friends with, or related to, a single person who has been killed or wounded -- in Iraq, or on 9/11!

Perhaps that 99% has had to pay a different price, such as an increasing national debt, but it certainly hasn't been in blood.

I happen to be in the 1%... in both cases. :(
rose.gif