3x19" eyefinity vs single 24"

stolid

Dec 12, 2010
I've had a 24" monitor for some time now, but it has recently occurred to me that eyefinity seems awesome and could actually be in my hands.

I currently have an ATI Radeon HD5770 and a 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor.

By trading my 24" to my brother and something else to a friend, I could end up with a 19" monitor from each of them and only need to buy a third (no cost to me probably as it would be a Christmas present) to complete the 3 panel setup. The monitors would be 1280x1024 each.

Do you think this change in setup would be worth it? I know my card should be able to handle it alright.

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
I don't think a 5770 could keep up with that resolution.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
I still see multimonitor as an office productivity thing more so than a gamer thing. The thick bezels are just too much for me.

So I'd stick with what you've got.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I've had a 24" monitor for some time now, but it has recently occurred to me that eyefinity seems awesome and could actually be in my hands.

By trading my 24" to my brother and something else to a friend, I could end up with a 19" monitor from each of them and only need to buy a third (no cost to me probably as it would be a Christmas present) to complete the 3 panel setup. The monitors would be 1280x1024 each.

Do you think this change in setup would be worth it? I know my card should be able to handle it alright.

Ask them to borrow the monitors and see how you like it. Only you can tell If its for you on not.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

You know any 19" 1280x1024 monitor is going to be old and dim by now right?

Keep the 24".

stolid

Dec 12, 2010
Ask them to borrow the monitors and see how you like it. Only you can tell If its for you on not.
I'd love to, but that could only work for two. The plan requires buying a single 19" monitor to complete the setup.

If it turns out I hate it, I just end up with an extra monitor. I can always trade back with my brother (he's a good fellow).

I guess the question here is - is this setup worth $180 (the cost of a single 19" and active displayport adapter), or would you not not even bother as you truly think the single 24" is a superior gaming experience? All of these monitors have neither fat nor super skinny bezels, just average.

@Throckmorton, these monitors are in good condition I think (I'll certainly check the friend's monitor out first to make sure anyway). Both monitors have seen little use for the past year or two (one got a new monitor and the other simply hardly ever uses his). Both are from about 2006.

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Personally I'd stick with one large monitor, as I can't stand bezels in my view. So I'd see it as a step back. I'd rather go up to a 27" or larger and sell the 24" towards that purpose. If you can try it or see someone who has 3 monitors (I do at work that's why I know I don't like it) then maybe it will help your decision.

flopper

Dec 16, 2005

no.
save up and get the real deals, 3x1920x1080 and a 6970/6990 or a 6850x2 crossfire.
never compromize with the experience.
eyefunity is great, but requries hardware to run it good also.

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
no.
save up and get the real deals, 3x1920x1080 and a 6970/6990 or a 6850x2 crossfire.
never compromize with the experience.
eyefunity is great, but requries hardware to run it good also.

+1 he speaks the truth!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
@Throckmorton, these monitors are in good condition I think (I'll certainly check the friend's monitor out first to make sure anyway). Both monitors have seen little use for the past year or two (one got a new monitor and the other simply hardly ever uses his). Both are from about 2006.

Even if they are in good condition if they aren't the same model and exactly the same age, they will look different, which will SUCK

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
I still see multimonitor as an office productivity thing more so than a gamer thing. The thick bezels are just too much for me.

So I'd stick with what you've got.

As someone who actually games on multiple 19" monitors, I can say that the bezels SEEM like they'd be a big thing before you try it, but once you actually play that way, your brain adjusts very quickly to not seeing the bezels.

It's really not as bad as you'd think it was.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
As someone who actually games on multiple 19" monitors, I can say that the bezels SEEM like they'd be a big thing before you try it, but once you actually play that way, your brain adjusts very quickly to not seeing the bezels.

It's really not as bad as you'd think it was.

Agreed. I use 3x23 LED monitors. I overlapped the bezels since it's so thin, but still have them.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
While I absolutely love my 2 24" monitors for work (and prefer them even over a 30" at that) and think Eyefinity gaming could be lots of fun for the right kind of games, 19" sounds awfully small - I'd stick with the 24" for now and try to get another 2 at a good price in the nearer future.

stolid

Dec 12, 2010
I think I agree with a lot of you. I think this sums it up:
- Potentially too small
- 5:4 exacerbates bezel annoyance
- No bezel compensation in eyefinity with mismatched monitors

What about 3 20" Acer G205HV's? They're super cheap (they're about $90 everywhere) and the resolution is 1600x900. Is there some major drawback in their specs?

Also, I know I'll be limited in gaming quality options here with my HD5770, but I'm more into resolution than highest settings. I should be upgrading that in the near future as well.

Peridium

Oct 9, 1999
I have 3 x 19" LCDs in Eyefinity setup and I have to say it is definitely worth it!

I think people who say that it is potentially too small compared to newer 3 x 16:9 widescreen setups haven't actually seen a 3 x 5:4 aspect ratio LCDs in person. In fact, comparing my 19" LCD to my new 24" LCD, the 19" is actually slightly taller than the 24"!

The resolution of 3840 x 1024 Eyefinity is also a good compromise to running a 5760 x 1080 Eyefinity setup if you don't have a top end Radeon card.

As far as cost, you can pick-up active single-link Display Port to DVI adapters for around $30. You do not need an active dual-link adapter! 19" LCDs can also be found for cheap if you buy them used or check out your local computer store for off-lease monitors. Of course, ideally you would want to find identical model LCDs with thin bezels.

Last edited: