3rd Master Hard Disk Error Need help!

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by platinumjason, Feb 15, 2010.

1. platinumjason

platinumjason Member

So my mom wanted me to burn her a few cds so I said ok. Was using iTunes and got the first one done no problem. Tried to do the 2nd and it kept hanging up so I restarted the computer and tried again. Same thing, tried to shut down iTunes but it wouldnt go, so I hit the drive with the paper clip. The disc start spinning around all crazy inside the drive so I shut it down.

Go to restart and I get the error 3rd Master Hard Disk Error.

I read up on this and it suggest using recovery console. I am there right now but am not sure what to do next.

I am running XP with SP2 If I remember correct. The HDD is a Seagate 500gb with just one partition I use for the OS and programs and the the other for storage.

Keeps saying at the error screen something about a IDE drive but everything I got is all SATA (unless its refering to it being SATA setup as IDE which is how its set) so I am not sure what is up with that.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Diamond Member

Say what?

3. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Do you mean you inserted a paper clip into the optical drive to release the CD? I know of nothing where a paper clip gets involved with a hard drive. Please specify what drives you are talking about.

BTW - all SATA drives have integrated drive electronics, - hence, are IDE. Within the IDE world there are two types of drive interfaces - SATA (serial) and PATA (parallel.)

#3 corkyg, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  4. platinumjason

platinumjason Member

Put a paperclip in the hole because the CD would not eject.

5. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member

Everything I can find related to that error message says that it only happens in Vista and Windows 7 with computers running IDE hard drives (or SATA drives emulating IDE in the BIOS). So, I would highly recommend first finding out what version of Windows is actually running on the computer and whether the hard disks are running in IDE mode in the BIOS. Then, if the computer does have Vista or Windows 7 with IDE drives, follow these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

6. platinumjason

platinumjason Member

Defintely running XP. Drive is a SATA emulating a IDE. I went into the bios and disabled the DVD drive and set the HDD as 1st boot priority and still nothing.

Thinking about giving Bootfix or BootMBR I think it is a shot. Was hoping to not lose any data out of the deal but guess that's probably not going go happen.