3dfx drivers updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
3dfx drivers updated

EVERYONE GETS A little nostalgic around the holidays and the folks down at 3DFX Zone are no exception, coming out with a new video driver to support Voodoo3 and a host of other newer cards on Windows 2000 and XP 32 & 64-bit Operating Systems.

For those reluctant to throw their Voodoo cards into the dustbin of history, and even more reluctant to use Vista, this new driver is something of a ghost of Christmas past, spreading nostalgic cheer to one and all.

The updated driver package for 3dfx accelerators is based on a unified architecture, so it will work for a plethora of 3dfx GPUs including the Voodoo3 2000, Voodoo3 3000 and Voodoo3 3500 cards.

It will also work for all 3dfx VSA-100 products; Voodoo4 4500, Voodoo5 5500 and Voodoo5 6000 cards.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I still got my AGP Voodoo5-5500. I gotta give these Win XP drivers a try! Thanks.:thumbsup:

Edit: Oops. I don't have an AGP mobo to try them. My bad.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: FalseChristian
I still got my AGP Voodoo5-5500. I gotta give these Win XP drivers a try! Thanks.:thumbsup:

I do but I don't have a voodoo card anymore. Threw it away. It was collecting dust taking up space and every little bit of space is not free.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Sweet, maybe some Deus Ex and Unreal in GLIDE mode with the old Aureal Vortex 2 is in order.

BolleY2K

Mar 18, 2007
I could use the 2 x Voodoo 2 12MB I still own to create a "QUAD SLI" - 2 x 8800 GTS and 2 x Voodoo 2... :laugh:

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005

I've got the PCI version :cool:

Too much hassle to install the card just to check out the drivers though.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

I still have my 5500 also but no AGP mobo as well. Damn. Well my 9800GTX is about the same size as the 5500 so I I can just look inside my case and imagine 2 GPU's and little fans on each lol.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
3DFX?!

WTH?

I thought I killed them off long ag......

Errr....

LOL I can't imagine anyone actually using a 3DFX card these days, would sort of limit your gaming options.

Loved them a lot back in the day, I think I had around 5 V2 Sli sets. Never had a V3, but I had a V5.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Only Voodoo card I ever owned was the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. I purchased a computer from Gateway back in the day, and had them upgrade the card to the Voodoo.

But ahhh....I was in love with that card. It was soooo high end :p

Just imagine what it would be like *today* if 3DFX was still making cards :shocked:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JPB
Only Voodoo card I ever owned was the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. I purchased a computer from Gateway back in the day, and had them upgrade the card to the Voodoo.

But ahhh....I was in love with that card. It was soooo high end :p

Just imagine what it would be like *today* if 3DFX was still making cards :shocked:

No T&L, 16bit only, AA modes that looked nice but ran slow, 2D performance that was shall we say lacking (that's why I had Matrox for photoshop). lol

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: nRollo
LOL I can't imagine anyone actually using a 3DFX card these days, would sort of limit your gaming options.

I can't imagine anyone actually driving a '66 Mustang these days, would sort of limit your performance and fuel economy, as compared to a modern car...

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I still have a Voodoo5 5500 PCI stuck in an old Dell with Windows 98 and Diablo II installed. I don't need to update the drivers - the ancient ones work fine for that old Glide game.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: barfo
Originally posted by: nRollo

I can't imagine anyone actually driving a '66 Mustang these days, would sort of limit your performance and fuel economy, as compared to a modern car...

The analogy doesn't apply.

The Mustang drives basically the same as any other car, the slowest 6 will perform like an econobox and the fastest V8 does a respectable 0-60.

If you use a 3dfx video card, you likely can't play any new games at the native resolution of your monitor.

This would be like if the 65 Mustang could only go 10mph.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Well, within about two years your typical video card is getting replaced (if you're reasonably serious about gaming) - I didn't expect to use my Voodoo past 2003 (and I didn't - replaced Win 98 with XP for my new PC too), so relegating it to old Glide titles wasn't such a big deal. And I really don't see the need for driver updates - nRollo's right, you shouldn't be using it for gaming anymore.

I keep the old Voodoo box around just as kind of a collector's item now. Sort of a neat, brief moment in tech history. Reminds me of the go-go era of the late 90s (and I lived in the South Bay at the time. Silicon Valley - and 3dfx - had so much energy then).

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
I still have my Voodoo4 in a cabinet somewhere. I've noticed that Amiga boards tend to have ads with highly overpriced Voodoo offerings btw. OMG, Amiga :D I remember seeing Wing Commander running side-by-side on an A500 and an i386. Damn, the PC version actually looked better, I remember how upset the Amigos were. Days gone by.

Status
Not open for further replies.