Question 3dfx coming back? Holy Cow...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Straight from tweeter...

Please oh pretty please bring back SLI... better yet, give us something magical like how voodoo was, and PLEASE make it non mineable.

However i think its a troll, but April 1st passed a while back ago...

Well here's crossing my fingers.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Why?! All exceptional children are hyped for CEC 2022!
The less I think about it, the better ;)

I'm not sure what you were expecting.
Anything, but 3dfx labeled smart tvs !

We don't really need any of that retro gear in 2022, because they aren't going to bother with drivers. No x3dfx engineers are onboard as it seems. The key people have already retired from nVIDIA, I think.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The less I think about it, the better ;)

Anything, but 3dfx labeled smart tvs !

We don't really need any of that retro gear in 2022, because they aren't going to bother with drivers. No x3dfx engineers are onboard as it seems. The key people have already retired from nVIDIA, I think.

They obviously weren't going to develop new modern graphics cards.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
The fact that this is even getting attention is pretty damning of the hardware community. I guess it explains all the clickbait, rumors, and grifts though, people will gobble up anything.

Nope, people were not really "believing", only "suspecting" and hoping some few plausible possibilities could actually happen, because would not be impossible for someone to bring back a limited number of new VooDoo cards for enthusiasts.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The fact that this is even getting attention is pretty damning of the hardware community. I guess it explains all the clickbait, rumors, and grifts though, people will gobble up anything.

if anyone in this thread believed that first post after i said this has to be a troll, well.... can i sell you guys some oceanside property in Nevada? I promise you'll make a killing when the great one hits california soon and it falls off into the ocean.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
if anyone in this thread believed that first post after i said this has to be a troll, well.... can i sell you guys some oceanside property in Nevada? I promise you'll make a killing when the great one hits california soon and it falls off into the ocean.

What again? John Cusack is gonna be hella busy.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
The question of whether or not people believed it to be legitimate is not the point. The point is that it got the attention of tech journalists to report on it en masse reflects poorly on the tech journalism industry as a whole. I swear, if you told me that there's more tech articles that reports on rumors vs. actual confirmed information, I'd believe you. You wouldn't see this kind of reporting in respectable journalism, like newspapers of old. It would be like seeing half of the New York Times reporting on unfounded conspiracy theories.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
thats because clickbait will always be clickbait.

and stories which make you go omgwtfbbq tend to generate more of that...

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
thats because clickbait will always be clickbait.

and stories which make you go omgwtfbbq tend to generate more of that...
True, but sensationalism has always been around since the beginning of media. Maybe it just reflects poorly on us tech enthusiasts who have an insatiable hunger for needing to know about the latest and greatest, since the tech websites who generate clickbait never really get punished from a reputation standpoint. Usually, when a website reports bogus news, they get punished by a drop in credibility and thus lose traffic and visitors, but rumormill websites are shielded from this for the pure fact that they are known as rumormills. The fact that there's dozens of them, all successful in their own way even though they pretty much report the exact same news as each other, is stunning.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Dammit Lex, we talked about this

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If they are able to license the 3dfx naming for products, at best this will be just like seeing the Kodak name on things like SSDs.