3D Television was and will always be a terrible gimmick

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The late aughts and early teens was another in a failed era of bringing "3D" to the living room. I'm glad it's dead and gone. Hopefully for good this time.

1623676393133.png

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
It's not for everyone to view 3D. I've read somewhere that people get dizzy/head aches watching it.

Potential Short Term Side Effects From Viewing Movies or Games in 3D
  • Motion sickness / nausea.
  • Dizziness.
  • Headaches.
  • Disorientation.
  • Eye Strain.
  • Feeling tired and fatigued during or after the movie.
  • Difficulty or inability to see the 3D images.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
The first thing I did when I bought my last TV that came with 3D was disable it. It kept automatically detecting non-existent 3D content.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah it's "neat" and I watched a few movies in 3D on my projector, but it just doesn't add much really and it also distorts the colors quite a bit. I'd much rather watch anything in 2D than 3D.

It also sucked for gaming cause the framerate was so much lower.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yep, that's what it was.

I still have mine...in the original box...in the garage. Fckn monster takes up a lot of space...but I just can't bring myself to dump what was a $4000 TV that still works...I just don't have room for it...or need it.

Mar 11, 2004
The most bizarre aspect of 3D is that people like the OP are still bitching about it. Its like claiming that 3D video games are doomed because of the N64s blurry textures. Although its more akin to saying video games are doomed because of all the shitty games put out on the Atari 2600 as what doomed 3D is shitty converted/tacked on shit versions of 2D movies (most of which were shit).

I do get a kick out of how techphobic luddite people get to being on here. I swear half the people on the board these days are posting from their backwoods rape dungeons/piss bunkers griping about how sure Windows ME sucked but its GUI was a million times better than Win10, Apple sux because of the Apple tax (said by someone that spent $3000 for a GPU they play Quake 2 on), and vinyl is the best audio format ever. Oh and something about Facebook while they cyberstalk every woman they ever fantasized about on there.

It's not for everyone to view 3D. I've read somewhere that people get dizzy/head aches watching it.

That's because the 3D tech was not robust and they didn't bother creating an actual standard so that a certain quality was met. Its the same reason VR is still kinda meh. The tech just isn't there yet and there's basically no quality control. Once we get legit 4K resolution (2Kx2K per eye), people will start to see its potential as we'll be able to offer experiences that no 2D screen can offer whilst limiting the drawbacks (resolution, etc). We're close but not there yet. Give it 10 years, where we'll probably have 8K per eye with proper framerate and FOV and it'll blow people's minds. In 20 years people will be going "remember when we used to watch everything in flat 2D?" it'll seem as odd as black and white or silent movies. It really is that transformative of a change.

But due to the state of the tech, the lack of experience dealing with it, and movies that were not 3D converted to 3D, we got a bunch of mediocre at best (and often downright terrible) 3D tacked onto shitty movies, most of which were shitty regardless of being 2 or 3 D. On the flipside, the stellar 3D is the only reason Avatar was a success because it was a woefully mediocre movie otherwise, and that shows you the potential. Now imagine when we get someone to do the Normandy beach scene in better than Avatar 3D. You people will be jerking each other off at the chance to buttfuck each other up the beach to teabag some Nazis. And you'll be "whoa"-ing while you live out your dreams in the Matrix.

Once AR/VR becomes the de facto computing interface, 3D will be how movies are made because it'll be nauseating to see them otherwise. Well people will still watch old 2D stuff but it'll be in 3D virtual environments. Sure the "film buffs" will still be jacking off to the latest Tarantino foot fetish feature and Christopher Nolan is wailing about film stock, and David Lynch is crying in the corner because the tiny screen just blew up in his face so he'll just finally fully transition to old many complaining that people don't have time for his nonsensical crap (I say that as a fan of some of his stuff).

Which I'm sure we'll find some way to ruin it, like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T will develop a fiber optic catheter as the new standard for accessing the internet, or maybe a wireless rectal probe or something.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
speaking of 3d TV, i was so psyched about VR and bought the oculus when it went on sale

but man does that thing give me headaches after 45-60 minutes

maybe there is no substitute for real life after all

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I thought I was reading necro thread until I checked the date. Didn't they stop making 3d TV years ago?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I remember in fall of 2010 watching a 3D woman's volleyball match in 3D at Best Buy. Almost sold me.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I thought I was reading necro thread until I checked the date. Didn't they stop making 3d TV years ago?
Yeah, for a while there it seemed like every new TV had 3D on it, and then it just quietly went away. Glad I only bought one Blu-Ray with 3D, at the time I just kind of figured it was going to be a standard feature by the time I got a new TV, but by 2017, it was gone.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think it would work if it was standardized but the current state of it is just so fragmented and there's very limited content.

They need to come up with a standard that can just work across any display and any glasses and nothing being manufacturer specific. The way it is now each TV will have it's own form of 3D that requires specific glasses. Can you even still buy glasses for those TVs made 10 years ago and will new content even work on it?

Even then I think it's still rather a niche thing. Some movies are cool to watch in 3D but I don't see myself wanting to watch everything in 3D.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The most bizarre aspect of 3D is that people like the OP are still bitching about it. Its like claiming that 3D video games are doomed because of the N64s blurry textures. Although its more akin to saying video games are doomed because of all the shitty games put out on the Atari 2600 as what doomed 3D is shitty converted/tacked on shit versions of 2D movies (most of which were shit).

I do get a kick out of how techphobic luddite people get to being on here. I swear half the people on the board these days are posting from their backwoods rape dungeons/piss bunkers griping about how sure Windows ME sucked but its GUI was a million times better than Win10, Apple sux because of the Apple tax (said by someone that spent $3000 for a GPU they play Quake 2 on), and vinyl is the best audio format ever. Oh and something about Facebook while they cyberstalk every woman they ever fantasized about on there.

That's because the 3D tech was not robust and they didn't bother creating an actual standard so that a certain quality was met. Its the same reason VR is still kinda meh. The tech just isn't there yet and there's basically no quality control. Once we get legit 4K resolution (2Kx2K per eye), people will start to see its potential as we'll be able to offer experiences that no 2D screen can offer whilst limiting the drawbacks (resolution, etc). We're close but not there yet. Give it 10 years, where we'll probably have 8K per eye with proper framerate and FOV and it'll blow people's minds. In 20 years people will be going "remember when we used to watch everything in flat 2D?" it'll seem as odd as black and white or silent movies. It really is that transformative of a change.

But due to the state of the tech, the lack of experience dealing with it, and movies that were not 3D converted to 3D, we got a bunch of mediocre at best (and often downright terrible) 3D tacked onto shitty movies, most of which were shitty regardless of being 2 or 3 D. On the flipside, the stellar 3D is the only reason Avatar was a success because it was a woefully mediocre movie otherwise, and that shows you the potential. Now imagine when we get someone to do the Normandy beach scene in better than Avatar 3D. You people will be jerking each other off at the chance to buttfuck each other up the beach to teabag some Nazis. And you'll be "whoa"-ing while you live out your dreams in the Matrix.

Once AR/VR becomes the de facto computing interface, 3D will be how movies are made because it'll be nauseating to see them otherwise. Well people will still watch old 2D stuff but it'll be in 3D virtual environments. Sure the "film buffs" will still be jacking off to the latest Tarantino foot fetish feature and Christopher Nolan is wailing about film stock, and David Lynch is crying in the corner because the tiny screen just blew up in his face so he'll just finally fully transition to old many complaining that people don't have time for his nonsensical crap (I say that as a fan of some of his stuff).

Which I'm sure we'll find some way to ruin it, like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T will develop a fiber optic catheter as the new standard for accessing the internet, or maybe a wireless rectal probe or something.

I like that OLEDs brought an actual desirable advancement to TV displays to make us forget about the 3D gimmick they were marketing prior. It brought the industry back to more important pursuits. Image quality advancements > goofy gimmicks.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I like that OLEDs brought an actual desirable advancement to TV displays to make us forget about the 3D gimmick they were marketing prior. It brought the industry back to more important pursuits. Image quality advancements > goofy gimmicks.
I think UHD and HDR may have been bigger drivers than OLED.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Technically all TVs are 3D - 2D TVs don't exist. You might be able to argue that a projector screen is 2D but it does exist in three dimensions.
DVjZjkk.gif

Reactions: brianmanahan

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The 3-D I can recall seeing @ Disney Epcot 25 years ago is STILL better than anything I've seen in a theater or on a home system especially. (And Disney's back then was NOT very good at all)

So the reason 3-D has so far been mostly a bust is that in its current form it completely sucks. Get back to me when it looks even slightly real.

(I am however a big fan of my 32 inch curved gaming monitor FWIW)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
One thing I remember from old style 3D is it actually felt like things were coming out at you, the 3Dness was coming towards you. With newer 3D find it's more like the TV is a window and the 3D stuff is happening inside. Now if you had a projector that filled your full view of vision it would maybe feel more immersive. But not sure how many projectors actually support 3D or how common the protocol would be so would you be able to find any content for it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

3D sucks and you suck for thinking it doesn't suck.

• Haha
Reactions: Aves and Captante