$399 GTX 670 EVGA vs MSI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Nah, I think he might be ok, maybe with a detail or two reduced. 670 isn't in here, but if 580 produces these results at 1600p, a 670 might actually be playable. I wouldn't go any less than that, though.

high%202560.png

thanks for showing me that.. note that that's 2560x1600, whereas i need 7680x1600 :p

At least 2. You'd be pushing it with one 1600p monitor and one card.

Is SLI smart enough to figure out how to balance GPU power on 2 cards to 3 outputs?

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
thanks for showing me that.. note that that's 2560x1600, whereas i need 7680x1600 :p

lol I know, just illustrating what 580 does at absolute max settings on a single 1600 screen. 670 typically beats 580 by about 25% at that resolution, with a typically overclocked card:

perfrel_2560.gif

I think with a detail or two reduced you may be fine on a single card.

Dec 30, 2004
Nah, I think he might be ok, maybe with a detail or two reduced. 670 isn't in here, but if 580 produces these results at 1600p, a 670 might actually be playable. I wouldn't go any less than that, though.

high%202560.png

way more memory bandwidth on the 580. Right? 256bit DDR5 on 670.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I really don't see how this is even being discussed. The windforce is 30-40 dollars cheaper than any other non reference cards. The other cards in it's price range are inferior in every single way. The windforce is 680 based pcb with built with superior components and has an aftermarket cooler that runs about 10c cooler.

At $399 probably the best bet. If someone was gonna spend a bit more then other options present themselves and i would be tempted to look hard at those too. The one thing I think is a downside of the windforce card is the system of dropping heat back into the case. I like pushing it out the back personally. I am not so much concerned with a few extra dB of noise out of the system as some so that is kind of a personal thing. Does anyone know or can tell me what tdp limit the windforce lets you select? Is it higher than the default +122?

I am still a fan of evga's service. Of all the service departments i have worked with over the years evga and asus are the tops in my opinion. Among manufacturers that offer video cards anyway.

Custom PCB/Custom coolers are always better, I was just answering your original question instead of suggesting other products which many have done already.

For running it at stock clock speeds or just doing minor overclocking (i.e. bringing the EVGA up to the MSI clocks or slightly beyond that) then I doubt you'll notice a difference.

If you want to do some nice overclocking (i.e. take it to stock GTX 680 performance and beyond) you will want a custom card.

Custom card or a ftw edition from evga. Either way. The gigabyte has the cheapest option though.

As for evga having egg on their face, maybe. They did admit their mistake, they issued a recall and are offering affected customers an upgrade to a superior card for free. So I think at least that shows their committment to keeping customers happy. Means a little something in my mind anyway.

I guess these threads will never draw any real conclusions. Its pretty safe to say that any gtx 670 is a decent card but if you can get a full length pcb version then do it.

Last edited:

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Neither. Get the gigabyte windforce.

At $399 this is a superb choice. I received my first one today, second one next week. Amazon price drops to $399 when they get it in stock (sold by Amazon). Like the Egg, it goes quick. Like others said, a card with full 680 is the way to go. This one at $399 is killer.

Some of the best factory TIM I've seen, with excellent contact:
http://www.hitechlegion.com/images/stories/gb670oc/2.jpg

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/gigabyte_gtx680_windforce_x3_oc,1.html

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1506&page=1

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
So, I checking it out, but two concerns pop to mind about the windforce. First, being so highly clocked, is it stable for daily use (it's hanging at 4/5 eggs right now, a fair amount of people seem to be having issues).

Second, with those fans pointed right at my cpu, is it going to affect temps?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
So, I checking it out, but two concerns pop to mind about the windforce. First, being so highly clocked, is it stable for daily use (it's hanging at 4/5 eggs right now, a fair amount of people seem to be having issues).

You have to take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt. There will always be a certain percentage of people unsatisfied with whatever it is. On clocks and longevity, there's a long answer, short answer is 3D clocks are not that high. Card is designed to handle it. 2D clocks sip power and the overall impact on your system has many factors, proper case ventillation being a primary one. It sounds like you have a lot of research to do, but in regards to your post, this is an excellent choice at $399. Several factors make it a better choice than a reference 670 design. Hope this helps :)

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
You have to take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt. There will always be a certain percentage of people unsatisfied with whatever it is. On clocks and longevity, there's a long answer, short answer is 3D clocks are not that high. Card is designed to handle it. 2D clocks sip power and the overall impact on your system has many factors, proper case ventillation being a primary one. It sounds like you have a lot of research to do, but in regards to your post, this is an excellent choice at $399. Several factors make it a better choice than a reference 670 design. Hope this helps :)

The reviews went back up to 5/5. For my new system, I'm planning to go with a Fractal Design R3, with it's stock fans, and a Ivy Bridge i7 with a Cooler Master 212 Evo cooler.

Don't plan on any overclocking until the system is broken in for a few weeks or months. It's all new equipment to me, so would you anticipate any issues with that setup?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

It might affect temps...stability is no concern. My EVGA FTW card is clocked higher than a windforce card is out of the box. I am overclocking it further and find it perfectly stable.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
The reviews went back up to 5/5. For my new system, I'm planning to go with a Fractal Design R3, with it's stock fans, and a Ivy Bridge i7 with a Cooler Master 212 Evo cooler.

Don't plan on any overclocking until the system is broken in for a few weeks or months. It's all new equipment to me, so would you anticipate any issues with that setup?

Looks like a decent case with upgradable airflow. At stock it should be fine, one rear exaust fan and open top vents to passively exaust. Though you may not have to, you could always add a couple low rpm fans up to top help exaust. Good luck, sounds pretty solid.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011

Gigabyte isn't going to sell a card that's going to be unstable at the clocks its shipped at.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Dude. If it ever happens its less then 1%

What are you talking about? There are numerous examples of pc hardware having issues. Seagate, gigabyte, asrock, evga...none of them are immune to it. Sometimes its a whole line that has one particular issue.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
What are you talking about? There are numerous examples of pc hardware having issues. Seagate, gigabyte, asrock, evga...none of them are immune to it. Sometimes its a whole line that has one particular issue.

I think he meant less than 1% of the total line of hardware? Right Don? :p

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Manufacturers should be checking the cards for bum Nvidia chips. Not just wrapping them in a red bow and selling them to customers. :rolleyes:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Lol...pretty much impossible. I think if everyone got a good card the forums would be so boring haha