Question 3950X on ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate - one problem solved, another one nagging

Korporativ

Dec 29, 2001
All,

I've been bug hunting weird behavior after upgrading to a 3950X on my ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimately. Immediately, I noticed some odd behavior with USB on my keyboard. However, that was generally resolved with a solid reboot of windows. I was a solid week in, and loving life when I suddenly received a hard freeze, and the system power cycled. At which point, the bios was sluggish and buggy. I removed power, cleared CMOS, rebooted, and things SEEMED to be running a bit better. However, the system would not post with the RAM speed set to "Auto", let alone the XMP profile, or speed I had it previously set to. I attempted to boot off of 1 stick with no luck. I attempted to swap in some Flare X ram from my other system, and no dice once again. Managing to limp things along with a combo of hitting clear CMOS, and hard-boot, I found a combination of settings the system would POST through. At this point, other than a VERY delayed power off (like when I would change ram settings) on reboot, I thought I was good to go. I proceeded with minimal tweaks, but noted that doing a 'Restart' from Windows would regularly hang the motherboard with a status code of 0d or 06. About 1/5 reboots also booted into windows with a KERNEL SECURITY issue, but the system would reboot, and boot in fine. I "resolved" the boot codes,

Resolution to failure to boot, and 0d/06 error codes:
In bios, set load level to 3 or greater. I assume that somehow this was being caused by VDROOP and a more power hungry processor. I noticed while staring at the bios screen for what is likely the 100th time this week that the "Auto" setting was defaulting to Level 5. On my 2700X, the "Auto" would default to Level 3 regularly. Manually setting to 3 seems to have resolved issues. I guess this makes some sense, and explains the erratic behaviors I saw when troubleshooting. Unplugging the SATA drives, and case fans seemed to reduce the occurrance. Save yourself headache, and manually set your load level if you are going to run a 3950X on an X470 chipset (level 3 or above) would be my advice.

Remaining issue:
BSOD. Checking the dump files, it is consistently a storport.sys error. I thought that with the weird keyboard USB issues, this could be related to my corsair keyboard. I had a previous corsair keyboard that had some weird random eletrical bugs pop up. I dug out an old PS/2 keyboard, and the random escape and other keys not working has vanished. However, the BSOD issue remains. Uninstalling all AMD drivers seems to (more or less) fix things inside of Windows 10. I tried going back to the "All in One" Radeon drivers, but the system crashes with a new BSOD(IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) upon trying either Express or Custom installation. I assume the old package is not compatable with the Ryzen 3 series / 3950X? Can anyone confirm? Reinstalling the AMD Chipset drivers (newest for the website for X470 motherboards) seems to be successful, but upon reboot, I get the random BSOD again. storport.sys/ntoskrnl.exe/hal.dll. I can live life without the AMD Chipset drivers, but it just seems really suboptimal. Hopefully the BSOD doesn't start popping up with them uninstalled now that I've jinxed it. It's like playing wack-a-mole with a Heisenbug. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Strange behavior:
One thing I've noticed is that the bios retains a number of settings despite "Reset to UEFI Defaults" and "Clear CMOS" being used. I've read through the manual, and seem to be doing everything right, but no dice. I also noticed that rebooting seems to randomize some of the settings. I generally disable the ASRock splash screens so that I can watch POST, and I've seen it frequently boot with the splash screen up vs. not. I thought it may be the board battery going bad , but a new fully charged battery seemed to do nothing. (Interesting note... the battery WAS nearly dead when I checked it. I've not had one die so quickly ever. Though this board puts it right under the heat of a video card, and we all know how well batteries live in heat, I suppose.)

Thanks for any thoughts, and hopefully the load level setting keeps someone from pulling out their hair in tufts. No one deserves THAT kind of manual quarantine haircut.

- Korp

Korporativ

Dec 29, 2001
Ah yes... debug whack-a-mole. I remembered that AMD has a cleaner utility apart from DDU. I went to boot to safe mode, only to find that the system refuses. I've tried f8 on boot (no response), shift+shutdown from within windows (the advanced menu shows a boot to UEFI, and no boot to safe mode), as well as manually telling msconfig to boot into safe mode. No dice. I ran the utility without safe mode, and managed to clean up more than a few items. However... the lack of ability to boot to safe mode is perplexing and disturbing. I'll start a thread for that one in another forum.