3850 and 3870

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Link

"Daamit is to deliver its first ever sub-45dBA cards.

A Radeon HD 3870 will follow with a dual-slot cooling setup, heatpipes and everything. This setup will output 34 dBA, more than 3850, but drastically less than 2900XT or a direct competitor, GeForce 8800GT.

According to our data, 8800GT produces 43 dBA of ambient noise, and during our testing, Gainward, XFX and Zotac all had similarly tuned fans, quite loud ones - once that 3D load ramps up, that is."

They didn't specify whether this was "idle" or "load". But either way, this is a welcome change from AMD.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
hahah, that alone is worth a celebration, given how much trouble it's been for them to get a better (quieter) cooler on their cards. Of course they appear to have failed to match it with a potent GPU, so once again they can't seem to bring together all the important parts - low heat, low noise, and high performance. :(

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
that is a really big deal to a lot of people, however. When my case fans are on low my gpu fan can get very annoying. Fortunately, I never leave my case fans on low anymore... Anyway, even with them on medium I can clearly hear the gpu above everything else during heavy use. It would be a welcome change to have a silent cooler.