3700x stock cooler vs H110i GT

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
So, for those of you who have played around with the 3700x, how much difference does having a decent AIO / good air cooler make over the stock wraith cooler in terms of performance boost and temperature?

I currently have my 3700x at stock with the stock cooler, and I like the lights it gives off but I also have an H110i GT with dual 140mm fractal design fans which are supposedly good for rads. I wonder if it is worth the swap, and if there will be any noticeable difference in boost. I am open to using PBO and tweaking, but I understand the 3700x doesn't OC much at all.

I am on the X470 Taichi with bios 3.50. I see there is also a bios 3.60. Worth the upgrade flash? My memory is gskill samsung b die 3200C14.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
So, for those of you who have played around with the 3700x, how much difference does having a decent AIO / good air cooler make over the stock wraith cooler in terms of performance boost and temperature?

I currently have my 3700x at stock with the stock cooler, and I like the lights it gives off but I also have an H110i GT with dual 140mm fractal design fans which are supposedly good for rads. I wonder if it is worth the swap, and if there will be any noticeable difference in boost. I am open to using PBO and tweaking, but I understand the 3700x doesn't OC much at all.

I am on the X470 Taichi with bios 3.50. I see there is also a bios 3.60. Worth the upgrade flash? My memory is gskill samsung b die 3200C14.
Its less about overclocking and more about how the CPU clocks on its own. I have a 3900x and a H100i with 2 Noctua 140x25 PWM fans. My board had PBO and AOC turned on to start and I ran a CPU burn in test. The all core performance started at 4100MHz and eventually slowly leveled down to 4GHz and the entire time it was pinging off of the thermal limit (95C). I turned off both Reran the test, it it just basically hovered at 3925MHz, with the temp hovering at about 82-85C.

If I wasn't running the H100i, no way could I maintain that 3900MHz speed. Now this is worst case scenario (apparently the test i did pushes CPU in a way that even like 100% encoding wouldn't.

The cooler for the 3700x its going to be nearly that great. In a lot the 3k series and the 65w version especially are like the Phison PCIe 4.0 drive I got for my machine. Performance isn't really made for sustained max usage. It's about being incredibly fast for as long as possible to get whatever job that needs to be done, as quick as possible. So the 3700x is going to clock up just shy of the 3800x, but only for a very little time with the cooler it comes with, and settle down to a limit that fits within the temp limits of the chip as it heats up. So a better cooler might let it self clock a little higher, what it really does is extend the time your cpu is running above base (and reg Turbo) for faster performance. With something like a H100i you probably can sustain performance your CPU could only dream of under stock cooler. But keep in mind it really changes into 100w+ chip at that point.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ASK THE COMMUNITY