360 looks better than PS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beemercer

Feb 10, 2006
I cant really tell the difference the majority of the time.

But what is for sure, is that both are quite good.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: ntdz
Pop in Gears of War and tell me the PS3 has better graphics.

pop in Gran Turismo 5 in the ps3 and tell me forza motorsports 2 looks better.

it all depends on the game.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: batmang

We can't. Neither of those games are out yet. :p

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy

Exactly, universal games will always look similar graphically when your comparing consoles.

GT5 vs Forza 2 will be a great comparison. Both games were made for their own console, we shall see which looks better. I know damn well GT5 is going to look amazzzzing.

Murphy Durphy

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Dacalo
You are comparing PS3's launch title versus Xbox 360 that's been out for a year?

Besides, this game is not console exclusive, meaning it should look alike.

People compared Xbox's launch titles to PS2 2nd gen games (it had been out for a year) and Xbox was still looking better.

They've had a year to improve their console over 360, where is the improvement?

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Murphy Durphy
You are comparing PS3's launch title versus Xbox 360 that's been out for a year?

People compared Xbox's launch titles to PS2 2nd gen games (it had been out for a year) and Xbox was still looking better.

Exactly, universal games will always look similar graphically when your comparing consoles.

GT5 vs Forza 2 will be a great comparison. Both games were made for their own console, we shall see which looks better. I know damn well GT5 is going to look amazzzzing.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002

That's because the original Xbox was easier to code for & had better specs. I think the PS3 has better specs but is harder to code for.

Murphy Durphy

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Shlong

That's because the original Xbox was easier to code for & had better specs. I think the PS3 has better specs but is harder to code for.

That's not the point.

The point is people are saying its unfair to compare games like Gears of War to 1st gen PS3 games, when its not. People did the exact same with PS2 games to 1st gen Xbox games, and Xbox still came out on top.

With that logic, Sony should be too. And they aren't.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: destrekor
graphics are going to be the same across both consoles, with a possibility that the PS3 can handle better A.I... but not even sure on that.

The Assassin's Creed devs said that the 360 version will have better AI than the PS3 version.

that might be the problem of Sony's dev tools not being as friendly as Microsoft's. I certainly think the hardware is more capable, but it all depends on the degree of difficulty to implement something.

i dont believe the RSX to be more capable than Xenos, but i think the cell has more potential than the xboxs cpu's

R500/xenos is so much more flexible, and has a sense that it is custom built for consoles (which it is) where as the RSX to me seems like a G7x port to a console

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Shlong

That's not the point.

The point is people are saying its unfair to compare games like Gears of War to 1st gen PS3 games, when its not. People did the exact same with PS2 games to 1st gen Xbox games, and Xbox still came out on top.

With that logic, Sony should be too. And they aren't.

Well the main benefit for Gears of War is the Unreal Engine 3. I haven't seen any PS3 games myself but I'm sure if they launched with Gears of War as well it would look just as good.

Jun 14, 2003

i reckon GT5 will look better, i reckon PS3 hasnt got the same flexibility in the GPU as the 360 has, but polyphony know how to make a good looking game. GT3/4 are still the best looking PS2 games by far

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I'm gonna be really glad when all these systems finally come out so we don't have to read 800 fvcking threads about the same thing.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Ill wait for the mod chips to come out before I buy any console ....PS3 looks better IMO on the comparison titles posted by SportsC4

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
*head explodes*

EDIT: I don't really get that nitpicky about graphics. The graphical differences between the 360 and PS3 will be far from dramatic, so arguing about the nuances in detail seems pointless.

For me, the decision comes down to games. The 360, after a year, has only one game I may have bought if I had a 360, which is Gears of War, and i'm not gonna buy a console for ANOTHER damned shooter!

The PS3 has a seemingly stronger lineup for games (not launch games, mind you. The PS3 launch games seem pretty lame).

Hence, I will eventually get a PS3, probably next year when better games start to surface. The only console I'm getting on launch is the Wii.

It is pretty obvious fthat for me gameplay and content matter more than graphics if the only console I'm grabbing this year is a Wii :p

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: SportSC4
how about a comparison of x360 launch title vs a similar ps3 launch title? Ridge Racer 6 (X360) vs Ridge Racer 7 (PS3)
http://www.destructoid.com/ridge-racer-6-7-comparisons-27828.phtml

Errr....why would you do a comparison between 6 & 7? in terms of the Ridge Racer series, 6 was half-assed to begin with. 7 only gave the Ridge Racer team another year to work on a next-gen system with the experience they got from working on the 360 version.

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
how about a comparison of x360 launch title vs a similar ps3 launch title? Ridge Racer 6 (X360) vs Ridge Racer 7 (PS3)

Errr....why would you do a comparison between 6 & 7? in terms of the Ridge Racer series, 6 was half-assed to begin with. 7 only gave the Ridge Racer team another year to work on a next-gen system with the experience they got from working on the 360 version.

because they look the same.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Stupid game, can't see why would anyone play it. Carmageddon FTW though :D (only mentioning it because it's essentially the same idea)

In any case, bump mapping looks much better on 360 though, look at the guy's t-shirt. Don't know if it's console's or developers' fault.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: mzkhadir

Yep, after looking at the pic (I didn't before), I'm wondering why they are even calling it Ridge Racer 7. It looks alot like 6. Some things are better in the 360 version, some things are better in the PS3 version...nothing dramatic though.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: mzkhadir

Yep, after looking at the pic (I didn't before), I'm wondering why they are even calling it Ridge Racer 7. It looks alot like 6. Some things are better in the 360 version, some things are better in the PS3 version...nothing dramatic though.

What a horrible bunch of comparisons as well. And I totally would take the PS3s graphics over the 360s in those pictures. The PS3 caps are so much more pleasing to look at its not even funny. How the hell is the color and lighting so far off in the 360?? Its terrible. Having a couple of extra textures here and there is not enough to make up for the horrible lighting and color.

Also definitely very biased pictures and comparisons. While they did circle a lot of things that look better/exist in the 360 version, you could easily do the same for things that look better/exist in the PS3 version. The one thing that is totally apparent and undisputable in all screens is the differences in resolution, color, and lighting. Those are pretty much the only comparisons worth making with those screencaps.