360 Controller on PC

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
I'm connecting my wireless 360 controller via the plug and charge kit. Its connected through this (usb) to my Vista x64 pc. I get the red light on the connector indicating that its charging, and Windows see it as a device. No drivers were found so I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded then installed them and it still isnt found. What's up?

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
You're not alone.
Same issue here.
It's so pathetic that MS product does not work on MS windows (Vista 64, that is).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MoMeanMugs
You have to buy the wireless receiver.

exactly. The charge kit just charges the batteries. It does not communicate with the hardware.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: MoMeanMugs
You have to buy the wireless receiver.
YAHTZEE!!!

I have the USB controller pn my PC so as to run Test Drive Unlimited. The game worked great for a while, then started having issues, (not related to the controller though).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The PS3 controller will work when plugged in via USB but not the 360 one. You can check Game Controllers and verify that the 360 controller will not be listed but the Playstation 3 SixAxis will (I did this when I plugged em both into my PC to charge).

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: videopho
You're not alone.
Same issue here.
It's so pathetic that MS product does not work on MS windows (Vista 64, that is).

Mine is working fine. :)

PBKAC maybe?

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Smilin
You're not alone.
Same issue here.

PBKAC maybe?

Smilin, are you saying that your wireless 360 controller works by using the Play & Charge kit cable, or are you using the wireless receiver for the PC? I tried hooking up my second 360 controller to my PC via the Play & Charge kit and it wouldn't function. I know the wired controllers will work via USB, but not wireless ones (via P&C cable), as far as I can tell.

Edit: I do have the wireless adapter to allow this to fully function on my PC, but since getting it, I haven't played any games on my PC that requires a controller (that's what my 360 is for). I just wanted to clarify Smilin's experience, since it sounded like he wasn't using the adapter.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I just started using the 360 controller w/ wireless receiver last week, works great on Vista x64.

FYI the receiver is only $20 at fry's or BB. If you want a new controller as well, they bundle it at BB for $60. Only white in the bundle though.

link

link

-z

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: tdawg
Originally posted by: Smilin
You're not alone.
Same issue here.

PBKAC maybe?

Smilin, are you saying that your wireless 360 controller works by using the Play & Charge kit cable, or are you using the wireless receiver for the PC? I tried hooking up my second 360 controller to my PC via the Play & Charge kit and it wouldn't function. I know the wired controllers will work via USB, but not wireless ones (via P&C cable), as far as I can tell.

Edit: I do have the wireless adapter to allow this to fully function on my PC, but since getting it, I haven't played any games on my PC that requires a controller (that's what my 360 is for). I just wanted to clarify Smilin's experience, since it sounded like he wasn't using the adapter.

I do not have any sort of play and charge kit. I only have the wireless receiver. I believe the drivers that came on the CD might have been crap for Vista. I grabbed the latest from Microsoft.

I found it a little goofy to get the device to sync with the receiver the first time. I had to like hold the button on the reciever for a sec, then the controller or vice versa. It was goofy but some 'fooling with it' got it working. Once synced I just hold the controller 'led button' for a sec to get it to power on and resync. It's worked flawlessly with emulators and a handful of othergames ..may I suggest Geometry Wars from Steam for $4.99 if you don't already have it from XBOX Live!

I've not played anything that had rumble enabled though.