36 million per month on illegals

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Pro-Illegals rather turn a blind eye toward those people waiting in line for years to come, filing papers, pay the fees. They look down on those people.

neodyn55

Oct 16, 2007
Originally posted by: babylon5
Pro-Illegals rather turn a blind eye toward those people waiting in line for years to come, filing papers, pay the fees. They look down on those people.

Yep. Take the recent 'Dream' act which luckily failed. The bill called for legalization of the children of illegal immigrants who were brought here when they were basically babies. The age limit was 25. Yet it included no provision for the children of immigrants who were here already, waiting on green card queues.

To elaborate, suppose you were here on a work visa and you filed an application for permanent residency. Suppose you had teenagers who've been going to school. Thanks to the backlogs, it might take you 6-8 years for a green card. In which time your teenager turns 21. Guess what - when that happens, he/she needs a visa to stay on in the US. That's right. Meanwhile, your illegal neighbor's kids automatically get citizenship - and the best part - can sponsor their parents!

And don't even get me started on the comprehensive immigration bills. Essentially, if they'd passed, someone here on a visa could simply throw away all papers, and declare himself illegal. It would probably be easier to get citizenship that way.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: ericlp

Great... Shit, this post is bringing everyone out of the woodwork.

Great, I'm glad your proud, I bet your married to a mexican? Hmmm, I don't think I'd have too much of a problem if they all spoke English and came into the USA the correct way.

I really think if you want to come to America then English must be a must?

WHY you ask? It's hard to get a job if you can't speak it and if you can't get a job then your gonna sit around and collect welfare.

JOY!

How are immigrants supposed to learn English abroad if they're living in countries that 1) don't speak English natively or 2) don't provide educational services for them to learn English? I'm not talking about immigrants from Israel who actually have stable primary education and who encourage English as a 2nd language, I'm talking about immigrants of Hispanic dissent whose governments aren't interested in providing for their populations.

Also, the vast, vast majority of illegals aren't on welfare, and speaking English has little to nothing to do with the ones that are on welfare. Are illegals even using welfare at a higher rate than the U.S. citizenry?

Originally posted by: Red Dawn

You are one of the few living in that area who isn't Hispanic to feel that way.

Not close to true, actually.

They are unworthy because they are here illegally.

Depends entirely on their circumstances. If they intend to eventually achieve legal status then that's one thing. If their intention is to do nothing but evade authorities that's another thing. The broken immigration policy and borders in the U.S., however, give them all the incentive in the world to break our laws. I can't really blame desperate immigrants for acting desperate when the border is (or at least, was) entirely wide open in vast swaths of U.S. territory.

Originally posted by: Darwin333

Just curious. Are you willing to support ANYONE who is able to make it into the country or just Hispanics? There are hundreds of millions of people worldwide who would give darn near anything to come here and get the same treatment.

It's not specific for Hispanics, I apply that reasoning to anyone. At the same time, I of course don't want immigrants (legal or otherwise) flooding the country at a rate we can't handle. The 2M+ that come in annually is a fine rate IMO, more than the IRS can handle anyway. But immigrants from other countries don't have nearly the same location-advantage that Hispanics do so this is a moot argument mostly.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

You are one of the few living in that area who isn't Hispanic to feel that way.

Not close to true, actually.
Well all I have is anecdotal evidence from friends and family who live there and they are almost all unanimous with their belief that the illegals need to be shown the door. Of course none of them are Hispanic.