36 dead in two blast in Hyderabad, AP India

Aug 25, 2004
The blasts?one in a park during a laser show, and one in the crowded restaurant?went off minutes apart, officials said.

A third bomb was found under a footbridge and defused in the city?s busy Bilsukh Nagar commercial area, a police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Damn.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Heard it on the radio this morning. Reporter had a problem pronouncing Hyderabad.

What a shame.

Oct 4, 2004
Wow, 42 people died (most of them young college-going kids from what I've heard so far), 50 injured...and all some people can do is bitch about their experience with some CSR?

:thumbsdown:

Edit: They found a fourth bomb in a movie theater. If it hadn't been for the rain (a lot of people here ride motorbikes/rely on public transport so there were fewer people out), there could have been many more fatalities. This could have been been really disastrous if those other two bombs had gone off. :(

Ok, this is getting rather weird. A local news channel is saying FOUR bombs were found and defused?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My wife is from Hyderabad. All of her family made it out ok, but many of her friends were close. She used to eat at Gokul Chat all the time.

Hope those affected and their families make it through as well as they can.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
which has long been plagued by Hindu-Muslim tensions and occasional violence between the two communities.

It's amazing how people have so much trouble getting along... I know I'm just stating the obvious but it's stupid how people from these two religions/cultures can be great individuals, but have trouble as a society.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
I didn't really follow this but it seems the group that did this also bombed a mosque earlier in the year.

Seems like they hate India altogether. They are supposedly from Bangladesh?

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
which has long been plagued by Hindu-Muslim tensions and occasional violence between the two communities.

It's amazing how people have so much trouble getting along... I know I'm just stating the obvious but it's stupid how people from these two religions/cultures can be great individuals, but have trouble as a society.

Does the word 'context' mean anything at all to you? Hindu-Muslim tensions are nowhere near the top of society's problem and has no bearing on either culture. The exact opposite of what you said is more relevant in this case - either culture can be great, but has troubled individuals. Hindu-Muslim clashes make headlines only because they are out of the ordinary in India. Far, far more Hindus and Muslims live in peace. Hyderabad is one of the finer examples of Muslim cultural influence in India.

Whenever it comes to a topic about India or Indians your sanctimony becomes unbearable :roll:

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: athithi

Does the word 'context' mean anything at all to you? Hindu-Muslim tensions are nowhere near the top of society's problem and has no bearing on either culture. The exact opposite of what you said is more relevant in this case - either culture can be great, but has troubled individuals. Hindu-Muslim clashes make headlines only because they are out of the ordinary in India. Far, far more Hindus and Muslims live in peace. Hyderabad is one of the finer examples of Muslim cultural influence in India.

Whenever it comes to a topic about India or Indians your sanctimony becomes unbearable :roll:
I'm the last person to say that major portions of the population have no issue getting along, but it's ignorant to deny this being an issue. It's like saying there isn't *any* amount of discrimination between blacks and whites here in the US. (including more southern states)

I know it's not the biggest problem in their society, could you tell me what are the biggest issues they face?

This religious stuff is IMO, mostly politics, not the majority of the populations, but it doesn't take a majority to create hate and act on it.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: athithi

I'm the last person to say that major portions of the population have no issue getting along, but it's ignorant to deny this being an issue. It's like saying there isn't *any* amount of discrimination between blacks and whites here in the US. (including more southern states)

I know it's not the biggest problem in their society, could you tell me what are the biggest issues they face?

This religious stuff is IMO, mostly politics, not the majority of the populations, but it doesn't take a majority to create hate and act on it.

You claimed that Hindus and Muslims in India have trouble as a society, which is not a fair representation of how Hindus and Muslims interact with each other back in India. The bigger problems in India are poverty, illiteracy, women's rights, healthcare and corruption to name a few. I would rate all of these above social tensions in general. As far as social tensions go, caste clashes are far worse than religious clashes in India.