3570k does 4.3ghz on stock voltage, should I exchange it?

Jan 7, 2012
Boots and runs @ 4.4, but eventually will hang if I stress it.
Won't even post @ 4.5.

Seems to be stable on prime95, on a GA-Z77X-UD3H, but didn't do a full blown multi-hour test. I haven't played around with voltage because I can't figure out how to do it in the bios of the GA-Z77X-UD3H. I know it probably has a voltage adjustment, just being lazy since I figured I might return it.

I could exchange it because I decided to get the Biostar TZ77A from Microcenter since it is $30 cheaper and has an optical port which I have to have.

Normally I wouldn't care, but since I am going up there anyway, should I get a fresh CPU and try again?

Last edited:

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
<inserts bad consumer label here>

why do this? the CPU is running to spec (3800mhz 4 cores at that frequency)... if you don't want it to crash, up the voltage...

exchanging = costing intel / microcenter more $ = bad for us consumer eventually :(

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
are you serious?

thats like buying a car and then returning it because you don't know how to drive.

learn the bios settings and keep the cpu.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OP, if you are too afraid/ignorant to change the voltage, then just be happy with 4.3.

I think that a chip that will clock to 4.5 stable, on truly default voltage, is a rare chip indeed.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Absolutely not. Nowhere does Intel say "guaranteed to run at 4.5ghz at stock voltage." When you buy a CPU, you're taking a chance w/the overclocking. It's not a guarantee, and not getting a chip that can achieve the most bleeding edge overclocks is not justification to exchange the product.

I mean jesus it's 200mhz. You won't *ever* notice the difference. You want to cost intel and microcenter money for what, e-peen rights? Don't be so selfish. (Not even e-peen b/c nobody cares about a 4.5ghz overclock.)

If you care that much, sell your processor to someone else who will be happy with it, and buy another one.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Epic facepalm if OP aint trolling.

I think it's a troll. "Help my CPU only overclocks by 27% without adjusting the voltage"

oDDu3s.png

OP, to answer your question, no you shouldn't take advantage of good return policies over this.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Is everyone else getting 4.5 on stock voltages, If so, I think there's at least some reason to return it. Although assuming he hasn't tweaked any settings whatsoever, then that 200mhz could simply be the flip of a switch somewhere. SOMEWHERE other than voltage.:whiste:

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Haha I'd love people like the OP... if I lived on another planet and could just watch them from a distance.

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Jokers like this are why so many businesses no longer have liberal return policies or do not allow any returns at all. Seeing as how you have already set the hook-Any Ivy Bridge chip you get will probably be about the same.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Jokers like this are why so many businesses no longer have liberal return policies or do not allow any returns at all. Seeing as how you have already set the hook-Any Ivy Bridge chip you get will probably be about the same.

How can you claim this, we don't know this yet.

Ivy has been out only a few months.

We know they run a bit hot, that's about it. :awe:

And OP, you should probably get a better board with more phases

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
How can you claim this, we don't know this yet.

Ivy has been out only a few months.

We know they run a bit hot, that's about it. :awe:

And OP, you should probably get a better board with more phases

Actually Ivy bridge has only been out a few(4) weeks. I bought my 3770K on release day and experienced a similar situation to the OP's. I based my observation about Ivy Bridge only overclocking to 4.2 or 4.3 GHZ with default voltage upon reading many reviews and observations at numerous bulletin boards concerning experiences with overclocking of said Ivy Bridge processors. I stand by my statement that the average Ivy will only hit 4.2 or 4.3 at default voltage and that by exchanging his chip he will probably get another with the same characteristics. I suggest that you do some research on the subject-I have done mine.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Folks, many of you are just not being nice or productive here...we aren't like that at AT. If you want to bash people then please go to [H] or XS. Let's be nice, doesn't hurt.

OP - in your bios have you enabled "Internal PLL Overvoltage"? If you have not, then please enable it and try your 4.5GHz OC again. Note: "Internal PLL Overvoltage" is not the same as overvolting your CPU PLL Voltage.

Jan 7, 2012
Thanks for the responses, both good and bad.

I will keep the CPU. I am getting the Biostar board tomorrow, so I will take the time to learn the BIOS on that board and try the "Internal PLL Overvoltage", and if that doesn't work, just take what I can get on stock voltage.

I want max OC while keeping power consumption in check and I'll be using the stock cooler.

But DAMN! What is with the zealous defending of Microcenter and Intel profits? Microcenter, sure, too many people doing what I do might hurt them since they are already probably losing money on my purchase, but Intel? Seriously? Even Anandtech mentions in the review that they are on cruise control.

If I wanted to return an AMD chip I'd probably have to sleep with one eye open, LOL.

But really, I thought the buy and return thing was rampant based on Slickdeals and other posts here. God forbid an item come out $10 dollars cheaper the last day of a return policy. Tons of people return the item, spending $3 on gas to save $10.

Anyway, take it easy, I'm keeping the chip. Which is why I posted about this in the first place!

Dratsab

Apr 14, 2012
Actually Ivy bridge has only been out a few(4) weeks. I bought my 3770K on release day and experienced a similar situation to the OP's. I based my observation about Ivy Bridge only overclocking to 4.2 or 4.3 GHZ with default voltage upon reading many reviews and observations at numerous bulletin boards concerning experiences with overclocking of said Ivy Bridge processors. I stand by my statement that the average Ivy will only hit 4.2 or 4.3 at default voltage and that by exchanging his chip he will probably get another with the same characteristics. I suggest that you do some research on the subject-I have done mine.

Yup that is about what I got too, then i reduced the voltage to 1.7 and got an extra 100mhz to make 4.4ghz. Ivy bridge is heat constrained in my opinion, with tightly packed 3d transistors and crappy TIM between the IHS and core, heat can't be speedily transferred out , so reducing it being generated is the only way for more headroom.

Im on mx4 & hyper 212 evo. I have been running f@h for about 2 days continuously but the temps only get to 80 Celsius max and average around 76 C compared to around 90 C for occt linpack. However I have only bothered to run occt linpack ( 64bit + avx ticked) for 2 hours, so my results may be invalid

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Thanks for the responses, both good and bad.

I will keep the CPU. I am getting the Biostar board tomorrow, so I will take the time to learn the BIOS on that board and try the "Internal PLL Overvoltage", and if that doesn't work, just take what I can get on stock voltage.

I want max OC while keeping power consumption in check and I'll be using the stock cooler.

But DAMN! What is with the zealous defending of Microcenter and Intel profits? Microcenter, sure, too many people doing what I do might hurt them since they are already probably losing money on my purchase, but Intel? Seriously? Even Anandtech mentions in the review that they are on cruise control.

If I wanted to return an AMD chip I'd probably have to sleep with one eye open, LOL.

But really, I thought the buy and return thing was rampant based on Slickdeals and other posts here. God forbid an item come out $10 dollars cheaper the last day of a return policy. Tons of people return the item, spending $3 on gas to save $10.

Anyway, take it easy, I'm keeping the chip. Which is why I posted about this in the first place!

It's more that we don't like scummy people than we are "defending profits". When you buy a product that works as it is advertised and return it because it doesn't work 30-50% *better* than advertized, you're
not acting in good faith. You're fraudulently claiming that it's not suitable for what it claims it is. You're driving the cost for the rest of us higher, and causing the institution of unfavorable return policies with your dishonesty. That's why.

Once you've run your proc out of spec at all, you've technically violated the warranty terms. It's sort of like buying a car, removing the speed limiter, and then complaining when the drive shaft breaks or the tires blowout.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Using the same morale it would be ok to cheat in tax and steal from rich people.

Bad is bad, nomatter how you try and twist it.

And if you think its Intel or Microcenter that gonna end up paying you are wrong. They will simply add the expenses to the cost of the products. So in the end its the average Joe that gonna end up with the bill from you.

Last edited:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
It's more that we don't like scummy people than we are "defending profits". When you buy a product that works as it is advertised and return it because it doesn't work 30-50% *better* than advertized, you're
not acting in good faith. You're fraudulently claiming that it's not suitable for what it claims it is. You're driving the cost for the rest of us higher, and causing the institution of unfavorable return policies with your dishonesty. That's why.

In addition, as I said, this sort of behavior is why retailers institute restocking fees, which negatively impact those who have legitimate reasons for wanting to return products.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I think it's a troll. "Help my CPU only overclocks by 27% without adjusting the voltage"

oDDu3s.png

OP, to answer your question, no you shouldn't take advantage of good return policies over this.

I want op banned for trolling.

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
I wish I could get 4.3GHz at stock voltage on my Intel® Core&#8482; i5-3570K. I really haven't had a lot of time to play with it since I finish building it but I but I was stuck at 4.2GHz with reasonable temperatures. I was about run it stable at 4.6GHz but the temperatures were higher then I was comfortable staying at for a 24/7 overclock.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I wish I could get 4.3GHz at stock voltage on my Intel® Core™ i5-3570K. I really haven't had a lot of time to play with it since I finish building it but I but I was stuck at 4.2GHz with reasonable temperatures. I was about run it stable at 4.6GHz but the temperatures were higher then I was comfortable staying at for a 24/7 overclock.

It seems that these CPUs are really luck of the draw. I had a 3770k which I was really looking forward to overclocking. I couldn't get it under 70c with a Havik 140 at stock speeds! I slapped the stock cooler on, watched it go to 105c, boxed it up and returned it.

Now running about 20c cooler with a 3570k and much happier. :)

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
My 3770k does 4.4 with a .005V offset, but I do have LLC to compensate for the voltage drop (though, very mild, not such that it will go over the set voltage). Temps are fine, but that's because I did a ton of work (lapping, IHS removal, IX, etc).

My chip hates much faster than 4.4 though. 4.8, for example, just isn't happening. I can cool it, but giving it 1.47V is something I'm not willing to do 24/7.