Question $3500 gaming build for daughter (including monitors)

BigDan

Dec 9, 2009
Hi all,

I have a build on pc part picker, and before I pull the trigger i'd love to get feedback from you all. This build is going to be for my daughter. I looked for mostly middle-of-the-line/higher end. I have included the monitors I wanted to but as well as all of the accessories as well. I was initially going for an all-white build, but honestly some of the white components just do not make sense for price vs performance, so I did the best I could.

Here's the link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dsj7419/saved/V6BpK8

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming, Schoolwork

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$3500 including 2 monitors

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

USA

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

Inside US - mostly newegg and amazon

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

Intel + corsair + either asus or msi

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

no, fresh build

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

about a 10% OC only

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

1440p 144hz

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Next couple of weeks

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Windows only

Thank you for any input! If i'm way over the top on something and can save a few bucks let me know as well, but mostly just want to make sure you feel I have everything I need to get the build done.

Tech Junky

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2022

Here's a build I did last fall.

I would skip buying windows and just use your copy instead to save $150.

Asus ha shad several issues with their boards to the point of recalls. Gigabyte isn't much better. MSI is middle of the road for sure. ASRock though has been quite reliable and cheaper than others. I've used a couple of them recently for builds and don't have any complaints.

I would skip the liquid cooler and paste and go with the one I used and a graphite pad instead. I get room temp on the CPU most of the time and it might hit 50C under load.

DDR5 is a gimmick with a tax for the glory it doesn't provide.

If you don't need RGB go with the Arctic fans as they're a better value in 5 packs for ~$40 and nearly silent even under load.

Skip the $110 cables and go with EVGA for the PSU with sleeved cables included for $110.

I wouldn't spend $200 on the keyboard and mouse either but that's personal preference.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Aug 22, 2001
PCPartpicker is Okay but I can usually beat the prices it generates by doing my own search. I don't like which vendors it defaults too either. B&H required me to sign for the package. Huge negative for me. And it picked Corsair as the source for the ram, another poor choice.

A quick look shows Best Buy has a better price on the AIO and the PSU. Amazon has a better price on the ram. I can probably beat half the other component prices if I looked. I prefer sourcing from the fewest vendors possible, and Amazon has the best return policy plus 5% back if you are a Prime member.

Tech Junky

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2022
PCPartpicker is Okay but I can usually beat the prices it generates by doing my own search. I don't like which vendors it defaults too either. B&H required me to sign for the package. Huge negative for me.
It's a good tool for building not pricing as it's limited vendors unless you add them.

Always verify pricing per component. Amazon is great though if you're on the fence or want to try something and find it somewhere cheaper later.

I try to get everything to arrive in the same week to slap it together and make sure everything works within the same return window.

B&H can be a pita though all around. BB has a shirt return window though and restocking fees if it's not dead. AliExpress takes a long time to get it unless you pay up for shipping. Though they do have the hard to get stuff at great prices compared to domestic prices even with express shipping charges.

ASK THE COMMUNITY